TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

Guessing the Tire Type on our TTs

Old 06-22-2015, 05:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Guessing the Tire Type on our TTs

I am getting the 19" 5 Arm Star Upgrade option on my Roadster.

Wondering if anyone (doubting this) knows for sure what type of rubber we are getting.

I know its a Summer Performance tire. Hankook Ventus has been mentioned a few times on the UK site.

I plan on switching them out with either the Conti DWS or the BFG GForce Comp2 A/S.

I am in Minnesota so I need some traction.

Was going to go down the Winter tire route but with Quattro and the new A/S technologies I think I will be fine with A/S.

Thoughts?

Oh yes...one more thing. I plan on buying these tires this week as Discount Tires will be having there July 4th sale. (which will get you $160 off a set of 4).
Old 06-22-2015, 06:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I plan to replace with Bridgestone RE970AS as soon as I take possession. We both should do a Tirerack comparo on these vs. the Conti and BFG's you mentioned.
Old 06-22-2015, 07:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dsleedesign
I am getting the 19" 5 Arm Star Upgrade option on my Roadster.

Wondering if anyone (doubting this) knows for sure what type of rubber we are getting.

I know its a Summer Performance tire. Hankook Ventus has been mentioned a few times on the UK site.

I plan on switching them out with either the Conti DWS or the BFG GForce Comp2 A/S.

I am in Minnesota so I need some traction.

Was going to go down the Winter tire route but with Quattro and the new A/S technologies I think I will be fine with A/S.

Thoughts?

Oh yes...one more thing. I plan on buying these tires this week as Discount Tires will be having there July 4th sale. (which will get you $160 off a set of 4).
My opinion having driven every combination of tire type and drive system in winter climates (Canada) is to have a winter wheel and tire package to go with that quattro investment.
In the UK the 19s are coming as either Hankook Ventus S1 Evo2, or Bridgestone Potenza (both good tires).
19s in winter with all seasons is a serious compromise if you are using it all winter.
Taking expensive brand new tires off your 19s and buying 19" all seasons is half the investment with none of the benefit.
I will buy 18" wheels for winter with dedicated winter tires as I have done with my A5s.

Last edited by Can_Quattro; 06-22-2015 at 07:32 AM.
Old 06-22-2015, 08:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Jinx32
I plan to replace with Bridgestone RE970AS as soon as I take possession. We both should do a Tirerack comparo on these vs. the Conti and BFG's you mentioned.
I eliminated the Bridgestone since its Snow traction rating was so low. Both the DWs and Gforce were very good.

But my Canadian freind is making me think I should buy snow tires again..... ugh.
Old 06-23-2015, 04:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

same boat. Decisions, decisions, and months of time to decide...
Old 06-23-2015, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I have Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 19"s on my '08 TT-R (s-line) and love them.
Old 06-23-2015, 03:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

My Winter dedicated snow tires are Michelin Alpin. Very satisfied with them.
Old 06-23-2015, 04:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default 18 vs 19

im really torn on this. i placed my order for TT coupe, but i can still edit the order (not sure how much longer though). i looooove the look of the 5-star arm 19" rim. but im getting very conflicted information on how/to what extent these effect drive quality and also how likely they are to get damaged at potholes, etc.

ive never had a tire remotely close to a 245/35 proportion - as all my cars to date have been SUV's with big clunky old fat tires.

anyone have any thoughts?
Old 06-23-2015, 05:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mlj1975lsu
im really torn on this. i placed my order for TT coupe, but i can still edit the order (not sure how much longer though). i looooove the look of the 5-star arm 19" rim. but im getting very conflicted information on how/to what extent these effect drive quality and also how likely they are to get damaged at potholes, etc.

ive never had a tire remotely close to a 245/35 proportion - as all my cars to date have been SUV's with big clunky old fat tires.

anyone have any thoughts?
BMW has had a lot of issues with their run flats, but 19s on Audis with non run flats have not been a problem to my knowledge.
I have been on 19s on my A5s for six summers with no tire or wheel damage.
The roads where I live are not bad, but I have hit some nasty potholes with no issues.
As S-Lines, and S models usually come with 19s they are very common.
As far as ride quality, that is very subjective, try to find a MK2 TT on 19s at a dealer to drive.
I have been happy with ride quality on my A5s, but all my cars have had sport suspension so that is what I am familiar with.

So my plan will be to continue with 19s for summer, 18s for winter.

Last edited by Can_Quattro; 06-23-2015 at 05:18 PM.
Old 06-23-2015, 05:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

I hear you. 19" wheels seem really low.

I was going to do All Seasons on 19"'s, but after thinking more about it.... its not worth the hassle.

I am getting Winter 18".

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Guessing the Tire Type on our TTs