TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

Guessing the Tire Type on our TTs

Old 06-24-2015, 09:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does the computer need to be reprogrammed or does some kind of sensor need to be installed in the rim due to the wheel change?
Old 06-24-2015, 12:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

If you're referring to tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS) the newer Audi's rely on the ABS system for rotational input which is computed by the ECU for discrepancies caused by over/under inflation. There are no longer sensors within the tire. After inflating to the proper pressure you reset the system via the MMI. My 2011 A5 had this new system but it may have been around even earlier. There is no need to reset when switching between larger/smaller rims per se, but good practice none the less.

Originally Posted by Jinx32
Does the computer need to be reprogrammed or does some kind of sensor need to be installed in the rim due to the wheel change?
Old 06-24-2015, 12:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Huey: Does that mean you do not need TPMS sensors in the tires/wheels anymore.... that would make me SUPER HAPPY. Less cost for the Snow Shoes!
Old 06-24-2015, 01:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

That's correct, no TPMS sensors in the tire itself for quite some time now. "Generation 2 system."

Originally Posted by dsleedesign
Huey: Does that mean you do not need TPMS sensors in the tires/wheels anymore.... that would make me SUPER HAPPY. Less cost for the Snow Shoes!

Last edited by Huey52; 06-24-2015 at 03:07 PM.
Old 06-25-2015, 04:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I hear you. 19" wheels seem really low.

I was going to do All Seasons on 19"'s, but after thinking more about it.... its not worth the hassle.

I am getting Winter 18".
Previously swapped out the summer 19's for A/S 18's but PIA to change them myself, so just keep my 19's on year round with the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S. I've gotten through any kind of weather including snow in PA, and they're terrific wet/dry tires. I do fear for a flat since there's no spare, but I just hate run flats.
Old 06-25-2015, 08:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Phil:

How did your RIMs hold up.....

I would like to just have A/S but fear the winter driving..,....
Old 06-27-2015, 03:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Phil:

How did your RIMs hold up.....

I would like to just have A/S but fear the winter driving..,....
The rims are nearly perfect. A scuff on 2 of the wheels, but otherwise, with minimum weekly cleaning, they look new. I did have to replace my tires this winter after hitting a pothole and the Pilot Sport bubbled but no rim damage. It was a good excuse for 4 new tires since the original Pilot Sport A/S's are no longer available. Bought 4 new Pilot Sport A/S 3's which are terrific. Plus, the S4 style 19's are great looking on the roadster.
Old 06-30-2015, 03:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I badly dented an 18" rim this past Winter in a deep pothole so if it's going to happen it's going to happen. Go with the rims you like.
Don't fear a flat as these days much safer to call roadside assistance than to change yourself on busy highways (this coming from someone who historically has always changed flats myself).
And I too dislike run flats and swear by Michelin.

Originally Posted by Phil G.
Previously swapped out the summer 19's for A/S 18's but PIA to change them myself, so just keep my 19's on year round with the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S. I've gotten through any kind of weather including snow in PA, and they're terrific wet/dry tires. I do fear for a flat since there's no spare, but I just hate run flats.
Old 07-01-2015, 11:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Out of curiosity, what do you guys dislike/hate about run flats?

I loved mine when I had a flat and could continue on to a place where they could replace it
Old 07-01-2015, 11:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Rougher/noisier ride but yes quite safety-practical. I have them on my wife's car for that reason.

But think to yourself how few flat tires you've actually had. Very few really over the years in my case and our roads are relatively terrible. The last one I had was from a typical contractor's screw thread nail, but as a slow leak I was still able to get to my tire dealer without incident.

I'll roll the dice with much nicer handling and quieter Michelin summer performance and winter snow tires.

Originally Posted by visuar
Out of curiosity, what do you guys dislike/hate about run flats?

I loved mine when I had a flat and could continue on to a place where they could replace it

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Guessing the Tire Type on our TTs