TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

Headlights coming on while away from car

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 05:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlights coming on while away from car

A couple times now, I've walked out to my car to find the headlights on. At first I was upset since I'd been away for a day and a half, and assumed they were draining battery the entire time, but everything seemed normal when I started up.

I'm pretty sure I read through the relevant features in the manual, so I'm aware that hitting the unlock button on the key would turn them on, and I thought maybe it was being pressed in my pocket as I walk out the door (my car and apartment are only separated by a thick cement wall). Tried to do it deliberately, but there's no way that signal is getting through.

Can you think of anything else that would cause this to happen? The last time it happened, as I approached, the lights went off and the car sounded like it just locked itself, so I'm thinking they lit up for some reason, and then timed out (after whatever the default is...15 seconds or so).

Anything to do with the AudiConnect phone app coming into range maybe? That doesn't really make sense though, since the car's wifi and 4g connections wouldn't even be active if the car is off, correct?

Hopefully it's something simple I've overlooked :\

Last edited by derekr; 11-10-2015 at 06:13 PM.
Old 11-25-2015, 06:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Gone into the garage a few times to fine my lights on too. Key was in my pocket at the time....the plot thickens.
Old 11-25-2015, 06:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by steve1ddd
Gone into the garage a few times to fine my lights on too. Key was in my pocket at the time....the plot thickens.
Crap, I was secretly hoping I was just losing my mind, since it hasn't happened recently haha. I did get a "left &right dipped headlight malfunction" once the other night, despite them appearing to auto-level, and shine properly. It went away when I restarted the car, but maybe there really is something wrong with them, we'll see.
Old 11-25-2015, 07:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

For curiosity's sake, was the light switch in the Auto position on each of these occasions?
Old 11-25-2015, 07:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by n828cl
For curiosity's sake, was the light switch in the Auto position on each of these occasions?
For me, yes. I turned them to the off position manually for a few days before leaving the car, and it didn't happen during that time. That's not a very scientific test though, I know. I've had it back on auto since then (a couple weeks) and they've behaved (aside from the recent malfunction error). The lights being on wasn't happening consistently when set to Auto anyway though, so it's hard to say if that's the cause in my case :\

I did hear a sound like the car locked itself once as I approached. I don't think I hit the button in my pocket because there was no chirp and no lights flashing.

Last edited by derekr; 11-25-2015 at 07:21 PM.
Old 11-25-2015, 07:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

My lights are left on auto