TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

Import CD's to Jukebox?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 11:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Import CD's to Jukebox?

My 2014 RS7 does this easily, so my wife looked forward to loading her huge CD collection into her brand new, fully loaded, Samoa Orange Mk3 Roadster. No such luck. Apparently the DRM police made Audi turn that feature off, at least in the US. Now I have to rip her CD's to mp3 on a computer, and dump to a SD card, so they can be imported to the jukebox.

The transcoding software is probably still in the MMI. Is there a way to turn the feature back on with vagcom?
Old 11-11-2015, 05:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

What is a CD
Old 11-11-2015, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

I believe this could be turned on in the green developer mode of the MMI, but no one knows how to get to that on the new TT yet.

Why not leave it on SD cards? The TT can take up to 2x 128GB SDXC cards for all the music in the world. It also supports FLAC, in case you want something higher quality than MP3.

Did you guys go for a custom color? As I'm not aware of that being a standard color. Would love to see some photos of it!
Old 11-11-2015, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by steve1ddd
What is a CD
You beat me to this!
Old 11-11-2015, 09:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by steve1ddd
What is a CD
Incredible technology from the last century that could actually play 40 minutes of music in your car without skipping around as much as LP's did when you hit a pothole.

@visuar

Thanks. Looking forward to the green dev mode. Wife likes the random play across albums in the jukebox.

Samoa Orange is a custom color. I'll post some photos in a few days.
Old 11-11-2015, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by RCCurtis
Wife likes the random play across albums in the jukebox.
I assume this would work on an SD card as well? (I've not tried it, beyond just having it play music off it and forwarding thru certain songs)
Old 11-11-2015, 02:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

I guess I don't get this? Why would anyone put music into the TT directly or through an SD card when you can just plug in an iPod, which gives you the advantage of easily creating customized playlists and you can keep the music completely organized on your Mac or PC? Is there an advantage over an iPod that I'm missing?
Old 11-11-2015, 05:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

For me I can just store a bunch of music (on SD card) without needing another device in the car, however most of the time these days I stream podcasts or music.

I am concerned about organizing things on the SD card tho to find certain tunes when I feel like it, but haven't spent time looking in to that.
Old 11-12-2015, 04:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

I rarely use the SD card or hard drive jukebox, also in favor of a 2006 iPod classic that just lives in the car and occasionally gets updated via Mac.

Oh, and I imported all my CD's long go.

Originally Posted by i3adSaab
I guess I don't get this? Why would anyone put music into the TT directly or through an SD card when you can just plug in an iPod, which gives you the advantage of easily creating customized playlists and you can keep the music completely organized on your Mac or PC? Is there an advantage over an iPod that I'm missing?

Last edited by Huey52; 11-12-2015 at 04:32 AM.
Old 11-12-2015, 06:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by i3adSaab
I think one advantage of the SD card and Jukebox is that you can use the gesture typing to search for an artist or album and maybe use voice commands (haven't tried this). It's helpful for someone like me who likes to listen to something on a whim, rather than from a playlist.

Granted, you would probably have a far better voice command system with any modern iPod/phone (Siri, Google Now)...but I'm not sure those would be of help over USB or Wi-Fi. It seems those methods treat the device as simple storage, not an audio stream of whatever your device is playing like Bluetooth (shudder). Correct me if I'm wrong!

Last edited by derekr; 11-12-2015 at 06:41 AM.

Quick Reply: Import CD's to Jukebox?