TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

Interior Modification suggestions.

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2015, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interior Modification suggestions.

Hey all,

First car (drive a 2003 GMC envoy) and first Audi (woohoo). So, I ordered my Black TTS and should get it around mid-Nov (car salesman kinda sucks because he provides no info, so crossing the fingers that range is accurate).

Right when I get it I plan on going to a custom shop to get it tinted, change the upholstery to my liking (thinking midnight blue) with LED to match, and remove the back seats, any ideas on customizing the back where the seats were?

I plan on transforming the removed back seats into interior furniture for apartment.

Thanks for the feedback,

-Soon to be Audi Owner.
Old 10-02-2015, 12:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Welcome and congrats on the purchase!

The seats in the new TT & TTS are very nice looking seats. I'd think hard about changing them!

The car will already have some interior LED lighting, it's pretty subdued and is white in color FYI.

Out of curiosity, why are you thinking of removing the back seats if you have no plans for the space yet?
Old 10-02-2015, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by visuar
Welcome and congrats on the purchase!

The seats in the new TT & TTS are very nice looking seats. I'd think hard about changing them!

The car will already have some interior LED lighting, it's pretty subdued and is white in color FYI.

Out of curiosity, why are you thinking of removing the back seats if you have no plans for the space yet?
Thanks for asking.

In regards to changing the seat upholstery, my mind isn't set yet and it probably won't be until a put a few miles on it (so use to my beat up SUV, sitting in luxury brand seats may change my mind.)

As for the LED lighting, In my opinion I think having the lighting match the interior (if I were to change from a black interior) makes it pleasant to the eyes then a white light. So if i were to change the upholstery to a midnight blue/black, i would probably change the LED lights to a blue color, again my opinion.

Now, for the backseat. Removing the seats will remove additional weight from the car. I just want to hear from all the artistic and creative minds out there to see what ideas might pop up if you didn't have the need for back seats in a sports car.

Plus, they wouldn't go to waste, they would be at the very least a conversation piece in the living room.
Old 10-03-2015, 03:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 250 Likes on 212 Posts
Default Changing the seat coverings will be difficult.

Originally Posted by UgotHOSED
Hey all,

First car (drive a 2003 GMC envoy) and first Audi (woohoo). So, I ordered my Black TTS and should get it around mid-Nov (car salesman kinda sucks because he provides no info, so crossing the fingers that range is accurate).

Right when I get it I plan on going to a custom shop to get it tinted, change the upholstery to my liking (thinking midnight blue) with LED to match, and remove the back seats, any ideas on customizing the back where the seats were?

I plan on transforming the removed back seats into interior furniture for apartment.

Thanks for the feedback,

-Soon to be Audi Owner.
Many professional car seat upholsterers won't even touch a seat that has side airbags. Those that will, will not touch the areas where the side airbags are located. So what you can change, and which I did with my Mk 2, is change the center top/bottom seat surfaces (the middle "inserts"). I knew I could not keep the light gray alcantara clean so I replaced those surfaces with a medium blue leather. Audi USA reps saw it at TT West and took lots of pictures and you can now get it as the "Admiral Blue" interior on the Mk 3. I don't know if this is the origination of the name, but my sig on some forums used to list me as the TT West Admiral because I organized a cruise for an early TT West.
Old 10-03-2015, 03:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Please be reminded that the back seat uprights fold completely flat and you'd therefore be losing some nice stowage capacity. But I understand the weight savings appeal. Typically extending the carpet or even better "faux seats" (leather covering in the shape of seats).

Live with it stock for awhile tho'. Audi produces the best interior out there as a result of extensive design effort and highest quality materials and you may indeed change your mind.

All the best with your order.

Originally Posted by UgotHOSED
Thanks for asking.

In regards to changing the seat upholstery, my mind isn't set yet and it probably won't be until a put a few miles on it (so use to my beat up SUV, sitting in luxury brand seats may change my mind.)

As for the LED lighting, In my opinion I think having the lighting match the interior (if I were to change from a black interior) makes it pleasant to the eyes then a white light. So if i were to change the upholstery to a midnight blue/black, i would probably change the LED lights to a blue color, again my opinion.

Now, for the backseat. Removing the seats will remove additional weight from the car. I just want to hear from all the artistic and creative minds out there to see what ideas might pop up if you didn't have the need for back seats in a sports car.

Plus, they wouldn't go to waste, they would be at the very least a conversation piece in the living room.
Old 10-03-2015, 03:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Scuba blue exterior with Admiral blue-on-gray seats must be very nice!

As you may know Porsche has/used to have an Admiral blue. You may have influenced the entire VW Group.

Originally Posted by Vegas-roadster
Many professional car seat upholsterers won't even touch a seat that has side airbags. Those that will, will not touch the areas where the side airbags are located. So what you can change, and which I did with my Mk 2, is change the center top/bottom seat surfaces (the middle "inserts"). I knew I could not keep the light gray alcantara clean so I replaced those surfaces with a medium blue leather. Audi USA reps saw it at TT West and took lots of pictures and you can now get it as the "Admiral Blue" interior on the Mk 3. I don't know if this is the origination of the name, but my sig on some forums used to list me as the TT West Admiral because I organized a cruise for an early TT West.
Old 10-04-2015, 05:06 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

[QUOTE=Huey52;24729523]Please be reminded that the back seat uprights fold completely flat and you'd therefore be losing some nice stowage capacity. But I understand the weight savings appeal.

Well, with the back seats. The few ideas I was throwing around was just make a fake floor so that I would still have use for all that space for stowage.

The other thought was build the fake floor, but build a lock box under it to lock in expensive personal items if the car gets broken into.

Some other people were thinking throw in a extended fuel tank. But I don't think that would work since that would probably create more weight (even though it's beneficial) and no firewall for protection.

And then there is build in a sub floor sub woofer. But, I don't see the need since I will have a B&O system.