TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

Its been 1000 miles, my thoughts/review

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 11:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by SimianSpeedster
Because they're OEM tires, I can't find too much info on the Hankooks. Even Hankook's website doesn't have much detail. Can you please check the treadwear rating on the tire and post back? The Potenza S001s are 280, so I suspect the Hankooks are similar. Thanks in advance.
Treadwear is 280 as well, but comparing treadwear numbers across manufactures doesn't make a good comparison since there is no standard for treadwear ratings - but I don't expect to get more than 20k out of them. Once they are done will throw on the Michelin PSS which is my favorite all around UHP tire. Audi seems to avoid Michelin as an OEM provider across all their lines, but so far happy with the Hankooks.
Old 10-08-2015, 01:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by josh Prieur
Treadwear is 280 as well, but comparing treadwear numbers across manufactures doesn't make a good comparison since there is no standard for treadwear ratings - but I don't expect to get more than 20k out of them. Once they are done will throw on the Michelin PSS which is my favorite all around UHP tire. Audi seems to avoid Michelin as an OEM provider across all their lines, but so far happy with the Hankooks.
Thanks for the additional info. I've always found the treadwear component of the UTQG specs to be a decent data point for expectation setting, though I understand that things get blurry when comparing manufacturers.

One of my prior cars came with medium-profile Bridgestone runflats that had a paltry 140 treadwear rating -- yes, 140 for street tires on a non-extreme car -- and the rears lasted under 15,000 miles. I had some fun with that car, but I didn't drive like a madman or attend any track days. Like you, I'm hoping for around 20,000 miles out of the stock set then I will almost certainly move to Michelin PSSs as well.

Interesting factoid: it appears that the OEM 245/35-19 Hankooks weight 27 lbs. each whereas the Michelin PSSs in the same size weigh only 22 lbs. That's a really significant difference for tires of the same type and size. Even if the suspension is tuned to the heavier tires, it's my experience that reducing the unsprung weight can only help the wheel/tire control, hence the ride and grip, so that would be another bonus.
Old 10-08-2015, 05:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by visuar
I think the TTRS is many years out. They're estimating 2017 for Europe, which would mean 2018 US?

Have you test driven the new TTS Nin Din Din? While it doesn't have the Mk2 TTRS performance numbers or sound, it also doesn't weigh as much and is faster than the Mk2 TTS.
Visuar, sadly 2018 sounds about righ. Although I wish it would be sooner, a 2018 release would give me time to put more mileage on the clock and by year 4-5 of ownership hopefully depreciation would start to slow down.

I hadn't thought of test driving a Mk3. As mine has a Stage 1 tune, I would presume the Mk3 would be only marginally faster, if at all. If I could get a good test drive, however, that might prove interesting.

Josh, can you confirm that the Mk3 comes with a spare tire/donut?
Old 10-08-2015, 10:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Mk3 definitely comes with a spare tire/donut
Old 10-10-2015, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Audi memory seats are nicely integrated into the door designs (on models that have them). BMW puts them on the seats near the controls. The latter design would be easier for Audi to "add" later. Living without seat memory in my Mk 2 TT wasn't a problem since I was the only driver, but trading up to a new Audi left me looking for seat memory as my wife is 13" shorter than me.

A3/S3 was interest for a while, but no seat memory or HomeLink was deal killer. A5 was the next option gave me both but no DSG. That left S5, but the design is end-of-life until probably 2017. So I gave up on seat memory and stayed with TT. Maybe I will let my wife drive it in a couple of years.

I had read that LED lights were not as bright as the Xenon option, which I always liked in my Mk2. I am not really sure that we in North America have all of the "adaptive LED" features that we read about for the European release. And there is very little in the Owners Manual about this. I expect to be doing a lot more night driving as we enter Winter in Canada, so the difference between the old HID Xenon and LED may become evident.
Old 10-10-2015, 08:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

My US car has the following on its label: 8Q3 = Automatic headlight-range adjustment dynamic (self-adjusting while driving)

So I assume that's doing something

But it's not like the full on Matrix LED that's an option in Europe
Old 10-14-2015, 09:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

2016 Audi TT Monsoon/Black
19"/Tech Package/B&O/Sport Seats

Kinda bought on a whim. Wife had a 2011 MK2 that we sold at 45k miles since the warranty was expiring about 6 months ago and bought a Grand Cherokee. Wife missed the TT too much so passively started looking in the area once they starting coming in and dealers were just too high, with one trying to add a 5k premium +MSRP. Finally found a dealer who was willing to go below invoice to move a car for the month and they had one of our color choices so jumped on it. Had the car for about 30 days so thought I would share my thoughts as an ex MK2 owner. I will say that overall we are VERY happy with the car, and the wife is thrilled to be back in a TT.

Pros:
- Excellent handling, very flat in the corners though definitely still some slight understear as you can still feel the forward weight bias of the car, still REMARKABLE improvement over the MK2. Continuing to play with the tire pressures as well to see if I can dial out some understeer. I am not going to say its porsche cayman handling levels - but for 90% of the drivers out there its darn close. You can definitely feel the rear push when the car is dynamic, 'almost' mimics a rear LSD.
- Love the utility and aesthetics of the virtual cockpit, well designed/thought out and the added video processing power/speed makes my C7 A6 MMI look like a dinosaur/Apple IIgs.
- Impressively quiet and smooth for a daily driver, even with the 19" wheels. Note: these cars come with either Hankook S1 EVO 2 or Bridgestone S001 in 19" trim. I drove both at the dealer and found the Hankooks marginally quieter.
- Overall aesthetics. I think Audi did a great job
- Seats. Sport seats with diamond stitching, we all know how they look well they feel as good as they look.

Cons:
- LED headlamps, while producing a nice bright output, don't project far enough ahead on the road. A few country roads near me where I never previously had issues seeing down the road I now find myself pulling back the speed or using the brights - whereas I never had to before. Read somewhere that they project further the faster you go but have yet to see that, must be on the non US matrix headlamp version.
- lack of memory seats! Why audi, why would you not just include memory seats??????????
- Power. Knew what I was getting into based on the similar specs to the outgoing, but I think they could have upped the HP/TQ just a tad to remain a bit competitive in the class. I am sure this will come in 1-2 model years. Wish the exhaust was a bit more noticeable as well in dynamic, you can hear the soundaktor come alive in dynamic mode, but its still a bit too quiet.
- Price. I do think this car is a few k more than it should be, but nowadays pretty much everything is as well. They have definitely moved it upmarket, just don't think they have done so as much as they have bumped the price up.
- Paint Quality. 2 fish eyes and one spot where it looks like the clear was disturbed prior to full dry. Plus, the body panels and the bumpers don't exactly match color wise between he metal and plastic panels. I know this can be an issue between the two paint mediums, but this one is def a bit more noticeable than I have seen on other cars.

Paint color mis-match
Does the front bumper match the rear bumper color wise?
Old 10-15-2015, 06:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 249 Likes on 212 Posts
Default A quattro Quarterly article anout 6 months ago said the TTRS would be sold in the US

Originally Posted by Nin Din Din
Visuar, sadly 2018 sounds about righ. Although I wish it would be sooner, a 2018 release would give me time to put more mileage on the clock and by year 4-5 of ownership hopefully depreciation would start to slow down.

I hadn't thought of test driving a Mk3. As mine has a Stage 1 tune, I would presume the Mk3 would be only marginally faster, if at all. If I could get a good test drive, however, that might prove interesting.

Josh, can you confirm that the Mk3 comes with a spare tire/donut?
at the end of CY 2016.
Old 10-15-2015, 07:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by dbturbo2
Does the front bumper match the rear bumper color wise?
Same mis match on the front bumper as well - clearly a substrate (aluminum/sheet metal vs plastic bumper) problem with the paint. Usually more noticeable on white cars - not the end of the world for me.

Something new, I have been getting an annoying rattle/squeak coming from somewhere behind my ear. I am guessing its a rubbing of the frameless door on a seal somewhere because no amount of pressure on the plastic panels I can reach causes the sound to abate in any way. I have tried gummiphlege on the door and window seals, noise is still there.

Our previous 2011, even in convertible form, had nary a rattle throughout its 45k mile service with us - so hopefully this is an anomaly and something that can be fixed.

Also of note, as I have started to push the car harder after getting more comfortable with it, I have noticed that the stock tires really aren't up to the capabilities of the suspension. The car is so flat in corners that the tires just give way with no warning - so might be switching to the Michelin Pilot Super Sports sooner than later. Just don't like that the stock Hankook tires give no audible warning and they just break completely loose with no progression in loss of traction.
Old 10-16-2015, 05:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 249 Likes on 212 Posts
Default Save your money

Same mis match on the front bumper as well - clearly a substrate (aluminum/sheet metal vs plastic bumper) problem with the paint. Usually more noticeable on white cars - not the end of the world for me.

Something new, I have been getting an annoying rattle/squeak coming from somewhere behind my ear. I am guessing its a rubbing of the frameless door on a seal somewhere because no amount of pressure on the plastic panels I can reach causes the sound to abate in any way. I have tried gummiphlege on the door and window seals, noise is still there.

Our previous 2011, even in convertible form, had nary a rattle throughout its 45k mile service with us - so hopefully this is an anomaly and something that can be fixed.

Also of note, as I have started to push the car harder after getting more comfortable with it, I have noticed that the stock tires really aren't up to the capabilities of the suspension. The car is so flat in corners that the tires just give way with no warning - so might be switching to the Michelin Pilot Super Sports sooner than later. Just don't like that the stock Hankook tires give no audible warning and they just break completely loose with no progression in loss of traction.
If you read my summary of the C&D test, they said the same thing regarding the car giving way with no warning. They had Bridgestone S001 on their test car which gave them a best in class .98g skid pad. It's just the nature of the car and is apparently independent of tires. Stickier tires might give you a small fraction of a g more cornering before they break but the issue remains.

Quick Reply: Its been 1000 miles, my thoughts/review