TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

just one more thing

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 05:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just one more thing

TT is by far the easiest car to clean, all that's needed

a bucket of lukewarm water with 3-4 squirts of dish washing fluid in it
a big sponge
a final hosing down

takes about 15 minutes and saves $20 at the car wash

X.
Old 06-29-2016, 05:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

Don't use dish soap to wash your car.
Old 06-30-2016, 02:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Agreed SYMAWD. I only use Dawn dishwashing detergent to fully strip wax when I want to start new layering. So .....

Many excellent car wash liquids out there and given so little needed rather go for a high grade one.

But yes X-Man, relatively small surface area, with far fewer nooks and crannies, to clean than my/your prior.
Old 06-30-2016, 03:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default car wash preferences

On the topic of car washes...what is the general opinion on touchless washes vs soft brushes when going to a car wash? I have always favoured touchless on my previous cars but a sales person once said the extra water pressure is not good because it gets in the panels. I put the TT through one yesterday and it kept "draining" from various places for quite a while (below the mirrors, doors, hatch, etc). There's a drain hole in the underside of the doors and a lot of water was draining from there. Any thoughts?

(Ideally I know I should be doing it by hand but I just don't have enough time on a regular basis.)
Old 06-30-2016, 06:44 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a roadster. Is it advisable to wash the convertible fabric with car wash soap, even if it is not visibly dirty? Or, is it better to simply rinse it with water. I worry that using soap will make the fabric less water resistant.
Old 06-30-2016, 08:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Aloha, I imagine the Brits have the most experience with maintaining roadster tops...
Old 07-01-2016, 02:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

If you can't wash by hand then a touchless car wash is definitely the way to go. Brush washers are scratch inducers not matter how "soft" they may be advertised. The water pressure is nowhere near what the factory "monsoon test" generates so I wouldn't be concerned.

Even hand washing there are some areas that take quite awhile to drain, e.g. beneath the mirror attachment points. And yes, the doors are meant to drain. As I have hard well water I often blow dry after hand washing and even then there can be a bit of residual from the mirrors.

As far as roadster tops there are cleaners and protectants made specifically for same. Here's one of many good sources (yes, I'm a 303 fan): Convertible Top Care Convertible Top Cleaners, Convertible Top Protectants

Originally Posted by Fun101
On the topic of car washes...what is the general opinion on touchless washes vs soft brushes when going to a car wash? I have always favoured touchless on my previous cars but a sales person once said the extra water pressure is not good because it gets in the panels. I put the TT through one yesterday and it kept "draining" from various places for quite a while (below the mirrors, doors, hatch, etc). There's a drain hole in the underside of the doors and a lot of water was draining from there. Any thoughts?

(Ideally I know I should be doing it by hand but I just don't have enough time on a regular basis.)