TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

Keeping the dream alive.....

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 01:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keeping the dream alive.....

So its like dead here. Audi must know that the US market for this car is non-existent. We have to be the only 3-4 guys who give a crap about this car.

So the wait is killing me. My eyes are wondering. What other cars are you guys looking at.....

I currently have a Mini Cooper Roadster JCW.... I love this car. The TT is really the only other option for me right now.

I have thought about the S3, M2, M4, Lexus SC350, Infiniti Q60... but none of them I have the love I do for this car. Even the Boxster doesn't it do it for me.... well it does but not for $20K more.

Tell me what other cars you would consider.....
Old 06-29-2015, 04:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

I had been looking at the Cayman, but the new TTS is really the better all around choice for me. Hopefully our orders will finally be commissioned by mid-July.

Originally Posted by dsleedesign
So its like dead here. Audi must know that the US market for this car is non-existent. We have to be the only 3-4 guys who give a crap about this car.

So the wait is killing me. My eyes are wondering. What other cars are you guys looking at.....

I currently have a Mini Cooper Roadster JCW.... I love this car. The TT is really the only other option for me right now.

I have thought about the S3, M2, M4, Lexus SC350, Infiniti Q60... but none of them I have the love I do for this car. Even the Boxster doesn't it do it for me.... well it does but not for $20K more.

Old 06-29-2015, 04:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 250 Likes on 212 Posts
Default Some thoughts

Originally Posted by dsleedesign

All of AudiWorld's TT forums have been lightly viewed for years. The Fourtitude Mk 3 forum has some activity, but not too much more than here.

The Mk 2 was a financial failure for Audi in the US with only about 2000 sold per year since CY 2009. It is the poorest selling car in the Audi lineup except for the limited production R8. It is also the poorest selling car in its class (boxster, M4, etc.) by far. I was surprised that Audi even bothered to sell the Mk 3 in the US. The cost of federal testing, coupled with the parts logistics cost, have got to make selling the TT in the US a loss leader. With the base TT engine so similar to the Mk 2, and the styling also similar, I don't see any dramatic increase in sales for the Mk 3. The 2016 model will sell OK because folks want the next "new thing" but I expect sales to quickly level off the the 2000 a year level, even thought the Mk 3 has been judged by professional reviewers to be a much better handling car than the Mk 2.

Other issues also limiting sales are the questionable choices provided by AoA in the order guide in the area of options and very limited (and boring) color choices for the seats and paint. One example is the lack of a S-line option on the base TT in the US. For paint, I think 7 of the 10 colors on the base TT are shades of black and white. The only non-monochromatic colors are one shade each of yellow, red, and blue. Another issue is the lack of a TTS roadster in the model lineup. Finally, prices have been bumped about $3K compared to Mk 2 prices.

Having said all that, there are folks like me who love the TT. I like that the TT is a poor seller because it makes it more distinctive on the road. I look at alternatives to the base Mk 3 TT and none fits my desires as well as the Mk 3.

Personally, I am strictly a convertible owner. In terms of performance, the TTS roadster is the only TT model that would make me consider trading in my Mk 2 sooner than usual. I would buy the TTS roadster, if it is ever sold here, but it is expected to cost in the mid-50s or higher. In that price range, I'd need to consider a corvette stingray or lightly used boxster. If it is ever sold here, the Audi S3 cabrio is expected to be less than a new base Mk 3 roadster so you get the TTS engine in a body that does not handle quite as well as a TT but might be the best bang for the buck in the Audi line-up. I'll also look at the BMW 2 series (including the M). i have no interest in a hardtop convertible due to weight and trunk space issues.
Old 06-29-2015, 04:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Waiting is hard but settling is worse.
I have been ready to buy a new car for a while, but I have been waiting for a car that checked all the boxes.
Had to ensure my next car did not feel like a step backwards from my A5.
Rejected BMW 435i, BMW M235i, Lexus RC350, Cadillac ATS Coupe, etc.
Will probably order in January for Spring delivery.
Old 06-29-2015, 05:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I thought the same thing, where are all TT fans? Coming from the B8 S4 crowd, this is a ghost town. Audizine is where I usually post and all there is are advertisers. I was the first person in my state to plop down the deposit for a car and now there is ONE person behind me. Wow! I can't help but think I am going to take a hammering when I go to sell with so little demand. I really don't understand why nobody wants this car. My sales guy seems to think that after Audi does things like... UPDATES THEIR WEBSITE, and actually gets cars on the lot that people will go on test drives and buy the car. Having a unique car is cool, I just hope I don't pay dearly for the honor of having a car nobody else wants when I go to sell. I only keep a car for about 2-3 years on average.
Old 06-29-2015, 07:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

The TT is on my short list of cars to get when my current 2013 A6 2.0’s lease is up in December. I usually lease, so I am interested in what Audi decides the residual is or this new model. That should give a clue as to whether the new TT can be expected to hold value.
In the final analysis I may wind up again with an A6 2.0. It suits me at 73 and actually is a very good road car; certainly much better balanced than the A6 3.0 gas and TDi models that (IMO) are much too nose heavy. With the increased 252 HP 2.0 the A6 (0-60 5.8 seconds) will be even peppier than my 211 HP one is.
Old 06-29-2015, 08:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

i think alot of people that will be interested in this car just aren't aware of it yet. i happened to be #1 on the dealers list because i've essentially been holding out for this car (mk3) for over 2 years now. My order was placed, and i recently learned the dealer is getting offers now from people who will pay over MSRP in hopes of getting the car delivered sooner (or making sure they get one at all).

also, for 45-55K its definitely a niche car. even people that like its styling a hell of alot are going to think hard.

i wouldnt pay 40K+ for the Mk2, though i did like it.

the new Mk3 though is so awesome i couldn't help but pull the trigger. the radical new interior renovations (virtual cockpit, AC diffusers w/ controls integrated in) and the evolution of the exterior to not be quite so 'bubbly and cute' were just awesome moves by audi.

they must care at least a little about the car because it is featured in age of ultron (mega blockbuster). i imagine product placement like that isn't cheap (?).

now if only they would update their $&*# website!!! ahhhhh
Old 06-29-2015, 09:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Some good points are being made. I think relatively speaking there's only a small group in the US who are interesting in this kind of car at this price. And of that group how many know they can "order" (not even taking in to account all the issues we've all been having) it already? I wouldn't be surprised if most won't find out until it hits the dealers / streets.

Just like Vegas-roadster my main interest is a nice looking fun to drive roadster. Not many around that match my interest and are in the price range I'm willing to pay. I've also been baffled by the options on offer (or lacking, such as TTS Roadster and full S-Line), but no idea what else to get.

Last edited by visuar; 06-29-2015 at 09:40 PM.
Old 06-29-2015, 09:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Wow.... finally some action on the site. I agree with everyone. It also sounds like EVERYONE who is looking at the Roadster would rather buy a TTS over a TT (me included).

I was not concerned about resale.... well until now. Thanks for making me think post sale.
Old 06-29-2015, 09:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'm trying not to think about post sale. I want to have a fun and enjoyable car

I think everyone is just waiting for news... which is why there's little traffic on the site?

Quick Reply: Keeping the dream alive.....