TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

Keeping the dream alive.....

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 10:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dsleedesign
So its like dead here. Audi must know that the US market for this car is non-existent. We have to be the only 3-4 guys who give a crap about this car.

So the wait is killing me. My eyes are wondering. What other cars are you guys looking at.....

I currently have a Mini Cooper Roadster JCW.... I love this car. The TT is really the only other option for me right now.

I have thought about the S3, M2, M4, Lexus SC350, Infiniti Q60... but none of them I have the love I do for this car. Even the Boxster doesn't it do it for me.... well it does but not for $20K more.

Tell me what other cars you would consider.....
I've looked at many of the same cars and resigned myself to waiting. I placed my TT Roadster order last week. In the fun car category, I've had a 2005 350Z Roadster, 2007 335i Convertible, 2014 SQ5 and 2015 M4 (between my wife and I). I won a TT Roadster back in 2005 and it was an incredible driving experience. I was very interested in the 2016 Mini Convertible JCW, but it won't be out until next summer. Unfortunately, the Mini Roadster is discontinued which is a shame since it's such a blast to drive. I love the Boxster and looked at the Z4 but both are quite expensive and not the best vehicle for MN winters. Not that we have a choice, but I know this will be worth the wait.
Old 06-30-2015, 03:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Can Quattro reminded me that I did also consider the M235i, but I'm a huge fan of Quattro handling so that was rather quickly dismissed.

My wife's Caddy ATS has magnetic fluid dampers so that was also a big plus in my Mk3 consideration.

The S3 is very nice but I'm not looking for a sedan at this point.

I was close to pulling the trigger on a Cayman, but my Yankee frugality kicked in to some degree and just couldn't get past the $20k add'l premium to be paid. And although the Cayman is the supreme track car the TT is simply a better year 'round real world sports car imho.

Although I buy a car more for its driving characteristics than its technology the Mk3's "embedded HVAC controls" and "glass cockpit" were also very appealing.

Lastly, this will be my third 2.0T and I've come to appreciate that all the awards it's garnered are well justified. Great power to weight yet also capable of excellent fuel efficiency and very reliable.

Last edited by Huey52; 06-30-2015 at 03:18 AM.
Old 06-30-2015, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 250 Likes on 212 Posts
Default I would not be concerned about resale

For the past several years, asking prices for a used TT with under 10K miles has been about the same as the car sold for new. I don't see that changing much as the Mk 3 rolls out. The Mk 3 has some nice tech gadgets but there is also a significant price bump.

Only real TT enthusiasts like ourselves give a crap about the Mk 3 at this point. Dealers and the public can't get too excited unless they have iron on the lot to show and test drive. As others have pointed out, the USA roll-out has been unbelievably slow and availability dates frequently delayed. I've gotten to the point that I'll believe it when I see it.

Audi has missed a tremendous opportunity in North America. Some TT interior features like the virtual dash were industry game-changers last year and appealing to young buyers to consider an Audi. Now I am seeing other manufacturers scrambling to get on board and we will see many copycats by other manufacturers in the 2016-2017 MYs.
Old 06-30-2015, 06:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My criteria was based on the following:
AWD
~30mpg
0-60 under 5.5sec
Using for commute, so rear seats not mandatory, nor is hauling capacity.
Thats it!

Cross shopped and drove the M235ix, RC350 F-Sport, S3, Q60.

M235ix had the most boring dash I had ever seen. Had to pass
RC350 F-Sport was nice inside and out, but too slow/heavy. Also, the ergonomics for the touch pad were wrong for me. I am only 5'6 and with the seat forward, I had to kink my arm in all sorts of odd ways to use it. I don't know why they moved it from the original position seen in the concept shots. Neither I nor my passenger could use the damn thing!
Q60 was just a slightly more modern look on the old G series. Very boring inside and out.
S3, liked it but knew the TT was coming. Wife hated the pop up screen. I told her there is worse with the "ipad tacked on" look like Mercedes uses. Now I see the new A4 uses our digital instrument cluster, but adds the "ipad tacked on" look as well. Don't like it.
Old 06-30-2015, 08:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by dsleedesign
So its like dead here. Audi must know that the US market for this car is non-existent. We have to be the only 3-4 guys who give a crap about this car.

So the wait is killing me. My eyes are wondering. What other cars are you guys looking at.....

I currently have a Mini Cooper Roadster JCW.... I love this car. The TT is really the only other option for me right now.

I have thought about the S3, M2, M4, Lexus SC350, Infiniti Q60... but none of them I have the love I do for this car. Even the Boxster doesn't it do it for me.... well it does but not for $20K more.

Tell me what other cars you would consider.....
I traded in a '13 MINI Cooper S for my '13 TT and couldn't be happier. The MCS was a blast to drive, but the "go-cart like handling" became really uncomfortable after about an hour on the highway.

The market for smallish, 2 door, all-wheel drive hatchbacks is really nonexistent. The MINI Cooper Paceman was considered, but the same comfort issue as the MCS exists.

The Subaru/Scion BRZ/FR-S are nice looking cars, but RWD only. It's rumored that an AWD version is in the works.

I strongly considered the 2006 BMW Z4M, but valves on the older M engines are finicky and once again RWD. If BMW offered a Z4M xDrive I would own this car.

The new Z4's are really nice too, but not enough trunk/cargo space for my liking.

The Cayman - RWD and no trunk space, but looks sooo good and fast fast. The price and maintenance costs kept me away.

The Lexus RC 350 AWD - meh

Also, I chose the TT over the TTS because of the updated engine and interior leather options (full titanium gray seats). I do wish the USA TT had the dynamic suspension option, but oh well.
Old 06-30-2015, 11:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Here's my story:
- Had a 2011 TTS for almost 4 years, which is a longevity record for me - loved it all year round
- Had a kid and switched to a S3 last fall, thinking that it would be "a TTS with 4 doors"

Current status:
- While the S3 is an amazing car, I totally miss the fun/cool factor of a small, nimble 2-seater
- Haunted by regrets, I want to go back to a 2+2 (the baby will be fine in the back for the occasional ride)

Now pondering a few options:
A) "Reasonable": Getting a new TTS
B) Patience: Opting for a new TT RS but not sure I can wait until 2017 (if not 2018)
C) Splurge: Getting a 2017 Carrera 4/4S but having a hard time justifying the cost + uncertain about driving it during winter (I don't want to have 2 cars)

Last edited by gloom227; 06-30-2015 at 11:58 AM.
Old 06-30-2015, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by visuar
I'm trying not to think about post sale. I want to have a fun and enjoyable car

I think everyone is just waiting for news... which is why there's little traffic on the site?
Yes, agree on all counts.
Old 07-01-2015, 05:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 250 Likes on 212 Posts
Default According to Quatroworld, the TTRS will be sold in the US late CY 2016

Originally Posted by gloom227
Here's my story:
- Had a 2011 TTS for almost 4 years, which is a longevity record for me - loved it all year round
- Had a kid and switched to a S3 last fall, thinking that it would be "a TTS with 4 doors"

Current status:
- While the S3 is an amazing car, I totally miss the fun/cool factor of a small, nimble 2-seater
- Haunted by regrets, I want to go back to a 2+2 (the baby will be fine in the back for the occasional ride)

Now pondering a few options:
A) "Reasonable": Getting a new TTS
B) Patience: Opting for a new TT RS but not sure I can wait until 2017 (if not 2018)
C) Splurge: Getting a 2017 Carrera 4/4S but having a hard time justifying the cost + uncertain about driving it during winter (I don't want to have 2 cars)
However, given the delays in the TT release, who knows when it will really be here?

I'd appreciate a more thorough discussion by you on the TTS vs S3 experience.
Old 07-01-2015, 07:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Barmats
I've looked at many of the same cars and resigned myself to waiting. I placed my TT Roadster order last week.
In case you haven't seen this guy posted a picture of his Glacier white roadster with Palomino: The Audi TT Forum :: View topic - Palomino Brown - Anyone got it or ordered it ?
Old 07-01-2015, 11:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Vegas-roadster
However, given the delays in the TT release, who knows when it will really be here?

I'd appreciate a more thorough discussion by you on the TTS vs S3 experience.
I guess it boils down to this: no matter how sporty a sedan is, it won't ever be a "sports car" IMO. I thought I could get passed that but the S3 was a compromise to get the practicality of 4 doors... and everyday I feel like I'm driving exactly that: a compromise. Totally superficial but, hey, we're in a car forum

The S3 doesn't feel as planted on the road (the car & seating position are higher), the habitacle doesn't convey sportiness (probably just by being a 4 door and being larger), and it just doesn't look like a sports car. But the S3 is faster than the Mk2 TTS. The engine is really nice: punchy and good low RPM torque. So the new TTS must be a blast to drive being lighter and lower. Also all the new tech niceties from the S3 (and even more with the virtual cockpit, etc.) will be quite welcome in the Mk3 TTS.

Quick Reply: Keeping the dream alive.....