TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

Lease or Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 07:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by ShooTTer McGavin
I find that when it comes to Audi leases, once you get past the A3, A4, A6; your "mainstream" cars, the other models are not really good deals. I think they take some of playbook that Porsche uses in their leases as opposed to BMW, Lexus, etc....
I agree. As I posted in #4 in this thread "....I usually lease but have found on the rarer models the leases are not well supported and as said, the monthly payment much higher than on a more common Audi model at the same MSRP. "
Old 08-08-2015, 07:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Does anyone have either the MF or residual on the 16 TT?

Talking with a dealer today and didn't ask but he did tell me that the roadster has a 1% higher residual, but a marginally higher (like 4th decimal point change) MF.

If someone has just the residual % I can calc the MF. Just want to be armed before I start a possible negotiation, I always like to know the buy rate so I know when they are marking up the MF. I would assume on the TT its likely around 4% as there is no reason to incentivize the MF on this niche model.
Old 08-08-2015, 08:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just came back from my dealer and I believe it was something like 0.0027 and it would've been about $780 a month (10K miles/year). Residual was better than the 2016 MY A6 that they're offering much better rates on.

The sales guy kept talking about "standard rates" (or something) as their guide didn't have custom numbers for the 2016 TT yet (I saw the sheet said to use the standard rate).

This was for a roadster by the way. Not sure if coupe would be different.

They were also unable to add audicare at this point which they're hoping to be resolved by Monday.
Old 08-09-2015, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by visuar
I just came back from my dealer and I believe it was something like 0.0027 and it would've been about $780 a month (10K miles/year). Residual was better than the 2016 MY A6 that they're offering much better rates on.

The sales guy kept talking about "standard rates" (or something) as their guide didn't have custom numbers for the 2016 TT yet (I saw the sheet said to use the standard rate).

Ouch, that is almost 6.5% - if that is the actual buy rate and not inflated by the dealer than looks like a lease is out for me. On my '14 A6 that I am leasing my MF is .00034 which is less than 1% which I am ok with, equates to me paying about $750 total rent charge for the 3 year term of the lease. At .0027 you are essential paying Audi over 7K in finance charges just to lease this thing over a 36 month term - no thanks!

At these figures, you would be better off taking that 7k, putting it as a down payment and doing a traditional finance at current bank market rates, you would actually end up paying about $780 a month as well, but at the end of the 3 year mark you would have at least 10k equity into the car, and will have only paid about $2400 in total finance charges. Much better position than the lease, where you will have paid $780 a month and will be right around market with no equity, well maybe a little equity since they are probably conservative on the residual. Plus this way you don't pay the typical lease acquisition fee as well as the lease disposition fee.

I figured Audi wouldn't really throw much incentive on the MF on this one, but I was hoping for less than a 4% LRF at the least.
Old 08-09-2015, 11:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

It was better than the other guy who quoted 1200/month

Yeah, we did the math and the lease would've costed me about $8.5K more than the finance I ended up doing. So yeah, no way I was doing the lease.

Just hope I really love this car lol
Old 08-10-2015, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

0.0027 MF is horrible, but I am not surprised that is what they quoted you. As josh prieur stated, that MF equates to about 6.5% APR.

I suspect that the residual is way conservative though, so most likely end up with a couple thousand in "equity" at lease end. That is what happened on my '11 TTS.
Old 08-11-2015, 12:24 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

This thread is helpful. Would the thread participants consider an SQ5 a specialty vehicle? Trying to wrestle between leasing and buying my first Audi.
Old 08-11-2015, 01:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by anotherblackgolfer
This thread is helpful. Would the thread participants consider an SQ5 a specialty vehicle? Trying to wrestle between leasing and buying my first Audi.
SQ5 is a 'speciality' version of a VERY popular high volume car for Audi, so won't be as bad as the TT. Just looked up the audi rates and its 3.7% at 58% RV for a 36/15k lease - not a great MF, but not all that terrible considering.

I suspect that the SQ5 will maintain its value very well, since it has both the historical high residual drivers of being a Q5 and an S model.

But better to ask in the Q5 forum, will likely get better answers in there.

Leasing vs buying you have to determine how long you plan to keep the car, run the numbers side by side, and see which one costs you more in the long run with all finance charges applied. Keep into account the opportunity cost of money in how much you would have to put as a down payment on the finance route as well.

In the end, Audi is focusing right now on maintaining their successive monthly sales rates, each month they are selling more than the last and I think they are up to 40+ successive months of higher sales. To keep that going they will keep throwing incentives at high volume models, A4, A3, Q5 maybe a bit of the A6. Those are the only car lines that are going to help them maintain the increased sales so that is where they will focus.

Last edited by MCRN; 08-11-2015 at 01:46 PM.