TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

LED vs Matrix headlights

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 03:32 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LED vs Matrix headlights

Hi folx..

I need help .

Im buying new audi tt (mk3) coupe and i have 2 different model.. ONe is with matrix headlight and one is with led headlight. Can any one tell me difference between these headlights ? I know that matrix headlights got that ability to avoid incoming obstacles in order not to blind them, but is there any other difference?

I went to audi configurator and i can choose between matrix headlights and led headlights but i cant notice the difference.
i have screenshot in attachment.. Thanks guys
Attached Images  
Old 04-19-2015, 05:38 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry if you've tried this already but clicking on the little i in the black circle will bring up information on each of those options.

From what I can find, the Matrix LED lights are the adaptive bank of LEDs on each side that will automatically turn off, one by one, in order to not shine at a car travelling in front of you or coming towards you. Essentially, the car will run at full brightness but if there is another car in front of you, it will disable LED bulbs selectively to avoid shining the bright beam at them.

From what I can find, the standard headlights would include a Xenon bulb, first option would be LEDs, and then the second option is the Matrix which is the adaptive version.

Last edited by Steamer; 04-19-2015 at 05:43 PM.
Old 04-20-2015, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

To summarize, depending on market and model the MK3 has three headlight options:

- Xenon headlight
- All-weather LED headlights
- Audi Matrix LED headlights

For those interested I would suggest a download of the MK3 TT Brochure from Audi UK, it has good explanations of the differences.

And one could use this forum as well:
The Audi TT Forum :: View forum - TT Forum - MK3 TT (8S)

The first members in the UK that have the Audi Matrix LED option seem very impressed with them.

Last edited by Can_Quattro; 04-20-2015 at 07:06 AM.
Old 06-19-2015, 02:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

as i understand, the matrix headlights aren't an option in US (at least, not immediately). i think it has to do with certification mumbo jumbo what is approved and not approved. kind of silly since hypothetically the matrix lights do nothing but add safety.

there are three light types just like the other reply said. in US order form, the xenon lights aren't even an option. baseline option is LED. if allowed in US, the matrix headlights are an up-grade option.

anyway, its possible im remembering wrong or just got bad info, but i think the matrix lights are not an option right now in US.
Old 06-19-2015, 07:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default no matrix beam in the US

As stated above the matrix beam is not available in the USA. The matrix beam does always run on " high beam" and turns off certain sections as needed so it doesn't blind other drivers. Also they have the ability to spot light animals and pedestrians. Awesome system but not available in America due to old 1960s laws not being updated.

JustDriveit!
Old 06-20-2015, 05:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Wow, yet another frustration. Yep, antiquated US legislative thinking the likely culprit.

Originally Posted by JustDriveIt!
As stated above the matrix beam is not available in the USA. The matrix beam does always run on " high beam" and turns off certain sections as needed so it doesn't blind other drivers. Also they have the ability to spot light animals and pedestrians. Awesome system but not available in America due to old 1960s laws not being updated.

JustDriveit!
Old 06-29-2016, 10:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default All-weather LED headlights?? A bit in the dark on this...

Originally Posted by Can_Quattro
To summarize, depending on market and model the MK3 has three headlight options:

- Xenon headlight
- All-weather LED headlights
- Audi Matrix LED headlights

For those interested I would suggest a download of the MK3 TT Brochure from Audi UK, it has good explanations of the differences.

And one could use this forum as well:
The Audi TT Forum :: View forum - TT Forum - MK3 TT (8S)

The first members in the UK that have the Audi Matrix LED option seem very impressed with them.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I have a 2016 TTS in Canada. It's got LED headlights, which I think are the "All-weather" headlights mentioned above. The manual seems to say that the All-weather headlights will adjust depending on various conditions. It gives an example of auto-adjusting the lighting if the roads are wet (i.e., to reduce glare from the road).

There's a toggle button located beside the light-control dial which is labelled as the all-weather lights toggle per the manual. The indicator on the button lights up green when it's ON.

I tried driving at night and toggling the switch on/off to see the effect. When ON it seems to light up the SIDES of the field of view ahead, but aiming a bit lower than the regular headlights. Sort of sounds like a typical fog light effect, but it lights up almost 90 degrees sideways on each side! It really lights up around the lower front sides of the vehicle nicely, but driving with this effect made me wonder how much I might be "beaming out" other drivers in other lanes with these almost sideways pointing lights.

I didn't notice any automatic effects such as these side/fog type lights going on or off, although road conditions were good, so I wasn't expecting to see any adaptation due to road glare.

I have seen the "side lights" come on when doing some turns (as described in the manual) but I don't think I had the "All-weather" switch toggle ON during those times.

Does anyone know how these lights really work (and the effect of the toggle switch)?

Thanks!
Windy1138
Old 06-30-2016, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 113 Likes on 87 Posts

The all weather LED headlights listed above is incorrect.

These are full LED headlights which have LED turn signals and LED all weather lights. The all weather lights functions as an integrated fog light. It is also the cornering light, so that is why you see it illuminate under 25mph when turning. And in bad weather, you can push the all weather button which then turns on these lights to illuminate wider and lower.

Matrix beam does not also run in high beam mode all the time. It uses a camera that is integrated into the base of the rearview mirror housing that operates the auto high beams. When the high beams are on, then it will adjust the high beam LEDs based on oncoming traffic.
Old 06-30-2016, 04:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 490 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by adg44
The all weather LED headlights listed above is incorrect.

These are full LED headlights which have LED turn signals and LED all weather lights. The all weather lights functions as an integrated fog light. It is also the cornering light, so that is why you see it illuminate under 25mph when turning. And in bad weather, you can push the all weather button which then turns on these lights to illuminate wider and lower.

Matrix beam does not also run in high beam mode all the time. It uses a camera that is integrated into the base of the rearview mirror housing that operates the auto high beams. When the high beams are on, then it will adjust the high beam LEDs based on oncoming traffic.
You are confusing Matrix LED technology with what may be called in English high-beam assist (Fernlichtassistent in German). Which is available with all non-Matrix headlights, LED or not. The Matrix system also uses GPS, and the principle is for maximum light efficiency at all times. It is able to to both guide and control light output over quite specific sectors ahead via multiple LEDs, lenses and reflectors, rather than dropping from high beam to low beam as per traditional lighting systems. The standard LED lighting system lacks this zoning/sector control feature, and does not use GPS data.

But I suspect most get it for the sweeping dynamic turn signals at the front.

As for Windy1138's comments, the reason for engaging the static turning lights as part of All Weather lighting is that in extremely limited visibility, such as very dense fog, etc, seeing the side of the road may be the only way of determining you are still on the road
Old 06-30-2016, 06:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 113 Likes on 87 Posts

My apologies, I wrote that reply from my phone and mistyped. I meant to write that matrix does not run all the time, and only runs in high beam mode. The matrix beam is not the low beam.

There seemed to be some confusion above from the previous post stating matrix was all the time. It is not.