TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

Mk 3 TT versus 2017 A4. Some gripes

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 250 Likes on 212 Posts
Default Mk 3 TT versus 2017 A4. Some gripes

Both Road & Track and Auto magazines most recent print versions have published first ride impressions on the 2017 A4 to be sold this Spring. Very favorable reviews but 2 things that Audi has done with the new A4 and not the TT really irritate me. First, the base A4 for the US market gets a 250+ HP version of the 2L engine. I assume this is a detuned version of the Mk 2 TTS engine. IMO that would have been a killer power plant for the base Mk 3 and seems wasted on a sedan. Many of the base Mk 3 reviews say it is a great car but the power plant does not match the high performance capabilities of the chassis. (I assume Audi decided the less capable engine in the base Mk 3 helps to justify the high cost premium for the TTS.) Second, the A4 gets the new digital dash the Mk 3 has PLUS a pop-up display in the center. The reviewers really like the 2 display concept because it allows the passenger to use the center display for other things. One reviewer used the center display to show a large scale map of the Nav route while using the dash display for blow-up turning info. While not mentioned, I'll bet the A4 also has seat memory many of you have bitched about. I just do not understand Audi's marketing decisions.
Old 11-24-2015, 07:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

I hear you on the power choices, although the A4 is of course bigger/heavier.

The No. American TTS is 18 Hp less than its European counterpart btw (310/292), also a bit of a thorn in the side. But not diminishing my enjoyment.

I can see the passenger involvement in an A4, but I really like the decluttered look of the TT, even if it would be presumably retractable.
Old 11-24-2015, 10:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wish they had brought the TTS Roadster to the U.S.... the base engine is definitely lacking a bit in the higher RPMs
Old 11-24-2015, 10:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Agree

Originally Posted by visuar
I wish they had brought the TTS Roadster to the U.S.... the base engine is definitely lacking a bit in the higher RPMs
I was planning to order one but now I'll keep my Mk 2 a few more years
Old 11-24-2015, 02:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

V Road- Don't let the power discourage you. It's still plenty fast on the street. Give a 16 base TT a test drive & I'll bet you find your Mk2 crude by comparison. At ten grand more for the TTS, I would add a computer chip and be happy with the base model.
Old 11-24-2015, 03:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Vegas-roadster
I was planning to order one but now I'll keep my Mk 2 a few more years
Yeah, hopefully they'll bring it in a few years or something.

The base model is quicker than my Mk2 3.2 was off the line though, so that's pretty fun.

Unfortunately my Mk2 was totaled, so had to get something else...
Old 11-25-2015, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I don't deny the Mk 3 is a better handling car than the Mk 2

Originally Posted by jermarTT
V Road- Don't let the power discourage you. It's still plenty fast on the street. Give a 16 base TT a test drive & I'll bet you find your Mk2 crude by comparison. At ten grand more for the TTS, I would add a computer chip and be happy with the base model.
I was blown away by the handling improvement when I went from the Mk 1 to the Mk 2, and I expect a similar improvement step going to the Mk 3. And, yeah, the Mk 3 base power is no slouch but it is virtually the same engine as the 2011+ Mk 2 that I have. I test drove a Mk 2 TTRS and it was the only coupe I've ever considered buying in the past 20 years because of its overall performance. So I was excited that the Mk 3 TTS roadster was almost as powerful and better handling as the Mk 2 TTRS - a great package. I'm happy with my Mk 2 and still have 2 years of CPO warranty on the car so I needed a significant incentive to trade it in sooner than usual for me. Better handling alone is not going to make me give up 2 years of virtually free warranty to buy a base Mk 3 roadster that has increased in price by $5K over the past few years.

Last edited by Vegas-roadster; 11-25-2015 at 07:26 AM.
Old 11-25-2015, 09:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

So far the lack of center display hasn't bothered me all that much. Audi has come out and said that their sports cars (TT and R8) will only have the dash display and that the dash + center is reserved for their mainline cars. Clearly a marketing decision there like it or love it.

In regards to the power, while I do agree that on paper the power seems low for the base engine, but I really only find it lacking on the high end RPM range where it just runs out of breath - but its still a pretty quick car. Perhaps the power difference between the two is related to the fact that the TT is a transverse mount engine vs the A4 longitude mount, maybe someone can clear that up? If that limits the power available to the TT motor than it stands to reason they can't have the base TT engine too close in power to the TTS.

I wouldn't let the power dissuade anyone from the base TT, if you want more power then go for the S. Do I think it could use a few more ponies, sure, but where I live its already fast enough to get me in trouble with the law. Its not like I can scream/race around the suburbs I live and work in with 300+ horsepower. Conversely, given the lack of power increase over the outgoing model I do think it is overpriced by about 2k - but that was a price I was willing to pay.

The one thing I do wish for is a bit more noise in dynamic mode from the soundaktor, its just a little to quiet for me. I am very happy with the handling compared to our old MK2 - leaps and bounds better and if fact I find the handling of the car greater than the ability of the stock Hankook tires. Nothing some Micheline Pilot Super Sports couldn't fix.

Last edited by MCRN; 11-25-2015 at 09:17 AM.
Old 11-26-2015, 06:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The mount is irrelevent regarding power

Originally Posted by josh Prieur
Perhaps the power difference between the two is related to the fact that the TT is a transverse mount engine vs the A4 longitude mount, maybe someone can clear that up? If that limits the power available to the TT motor than it stands to reason they can't have the base TT engine too close in power to the TTS.
It appears the new A4 engine is essentially the Mk 2 TTS engine, and the Mk 3 TTS engine provides even more power.

I agree that the base engine has plenty of pep to have fun and I will probably buy the car when the time comes. I just had a lust for a high performance roadster, it exists in Europe, Audi has decided not to sell it to me, so they will have to wait a few years to get their money from me when I normally trade in.
Old 11-26-2015, 05:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 113 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Vegas-roadster
It appears the new A4 engine is essentially the Mk 2 TTS engine, and the Mk 3 TTS engine provides even more power.
This B9 A4 motor has nothing to do with the Mk2 TTS motor other than the fact that they are both two liters.

Quick Reply: Mk 3 TT versus 2017 A4. Some gripes