TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

The most poorly executed launch of a car in the US

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2015, 01:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The most poorly executed launch of a car in the US

In the UK hands down the launch of this car seems to be VERY special and they have tons of information.

In the USA on the other hand..... Audi is treating this launch like its the most irrelevant car ever to hit the shores.

Pretty sad considering this car has been on road around the world for almost a year.

Basis:
1. Age of Ultron - the Avengers. Ads, pictures etc...... but no information on the website, no press releases (or should say late - with a **** ton of questions press release). Why advertise something you cant sell....

2. So many options are begging for more questions. What do the wheels look like, the base audio is Bose? WTF? Maybe I don't need the B&O. Alcantara Diamond Stitch.

3. Dates. Press release implies July deliveries. Last that I read here could be OCTOBER! GRRR.

4. No allocations. They might sell a ton of these in the UK.... well they obviously dont think that is the case in the US. Sounds like there will be less than 150 of these on the road in 2015/2016.... its like a R8!

5. Website still not updated. WHY WHY WHY

6. Dealer Community. Here in Minnesota I thought my dealer was highly ignorant on there products.... well it seems like ALL dealers are ignorant on this product.....no one has any concrete information.

7. No f'n S-Line option... come on.... its plastic bits........

8. No TTS Roadster...... very sad.

I think we should all cancel our orders and tell Audi to shove it. (I wont - but gawd if I did not want this car so bad.... I would be outta here under normal circumstances.)

Key to selling a preorder.... setting proper expectations...... they have blown this in a BIG way.

Last year I bought a Porsche Macan (number 4 in MN). 8 months prior, I was able to order my car, build car on website, full disclosure of options, they had the date down to a 2 week window (8 months in advance!).

For being a VAG product..... night and day difference.

Last edited by dsleedesign; 06-20-2015 at 01:23 AM.
Old 06-20-2015, 05:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Agreed!

It's pretty frustrating, and I don't understand it either. I asked my sales guy "will the TTs have the diamond stitched seats standard, or do I need to upgrade to the fine napa leather?" He gave me a 5 minute explanation that boiled down to "I don't know".

In my case "winter is coming". It's mid June and it will take "60 to 90 days" to get the car once I have an allocation which I don't expect until July. October is often snowy in Colorado and the car comes on summer tires. I have another car with winter tires I drive during the winter, the TT was suppose to be my fun summer (or fall) car. So now it's looking like I get to drive it about a month, then it will sit it my garage for 6 months gathering dust and depreciating while I make payments just for the pleasure of staring at it.
Old 06-20-2015, 05:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by 100Daily
It's pretty frustrating, and I don't understand it either. I asked my sales guy "will the TTs have the diamond stitched seats standard, or do I need to upgrade to the fine napa leather?" He gave me a 5 minute explanation that boiled down to "I don't know".

In my case "winter is coming". It's mid June and it will take "60 to 90 days" to get the car once I have an allocation which I don't expect until July. October is often snowy in Colorado and the car comes on summer tires. I have another car with winter tires I drive during the winter, the TT was suppose to be my fun summer (or fall) car. So now it's looking like I get to drive it about a month, then it will sit it my garage for 6 months gathering dust and depreciating while I make payments just for the pleasure of staring at it.
I do feel the thread author's frustration at lack of intel. It is looking more and more like mid-July for allocations.

Although I have a Winter "beater" I'll still be putting snow rims/tires on and letting her get some exercise on clear Winter days. Nice to stare at for sure but nicer out there doing what Quattro does best. 'sides I'm no stranger to the Winter wash as long as it peeks above freezing.
Old 06-20-2015, 10:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default concur

agree very much with this sentiment. it's rather insane that people should be investing in a 45-55k car and have to play detective across international audi websites to attempt to see what various features will look like!
Old 06-20-2015, 02:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by dsleedesign
In the UK hands down the launch of this car seems to be VERY special and they have tons of information.

In the USA on the other hand..... Audi is treating this launch like its the most irrelevant car ever to hit the shores.

Basis:

2. So many options are begging for more questions. What do the wheels look like, the base audio is Bose? WTF? Maybe I don't need the B&O. Alcantara Diamond Stitch.

3. Dates. Press release implies July deliveries. Last that I read here could be OCTOBER! GRRR.

4. No allocations. They might sell a ton of these in the UK.... well they obviously dont think that is the case in the US.
If it makes you feel better, they are experiencing a lot of the same complaints in the UK.

I read through this thread:
http://www.ttforum.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=98&t=868657

The latest allocations they get won't arrive until August. We are doomed.
Old 06-20-2015, 11:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I feel you guys. I'm impatiently waiting for the TTRS.
Old 06-21-2015, 07:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 250 Likes on 212 Posts
Default Agree mostly

Pretty sad considering this car has been on road around the world for almost a year.

Basis:
1. Age of Ultron - the Avengers. Ads, pictures etc...... but no information on the website, no press releases (or should say late - with a **** ton of questions press release). Why advertise something you cant sell....

4. No allocations. They might sell a ton of these in the UK.... well they obviously dont think that is the case in the US. Sounds like there will be less than 150 of these on the road in 2015/2016.... its like a R8!

5. Website still not updated. WHY WHY WHY

6. Dealer Community. Here in Minnesota I thought my dealer was highly ignorant on there products.... well it seems like ALL dealers are ignorant on this product.....no one has any concrete information.

7. No f'n S-Line option... come on.... its plastic bits........

8. No TTS Roadster...... very sad.

I think we should all cancel our orders and tell Audi to shove it. (I wont - but gawd if I did not want this car so bad.... I would be outta here under normal circumstances.)

Key to selling a preorder.... setting proper expectations...... they have blown this in a BIG way.

Last year I bought a Porsche Macan (number 4 in MN). 8 months prior, I was able to order my car, build car on website, full disclosure of options, they had the date down to a 2 week window (8 months in advance!).

For being a VAG product..... night and day difference.
Regarding dealers, some are much more knowledgeable than others. Henderson NV Audi seems to know what's going on. However, you have to differentiate between salesmen and managers. Most salesmen in any dealership (not just Audi) are clueless so you have to talk to the GM or Sales Manager to get good information.

I have not talked to my GM for a few months because I'm not quite as anxious to get my Mk 3. I suspect the delays in US sales and lack of some options have to do with the extensive federal and state testing that needs to be completed before the car can be sold in the US. I can think of no other reason why the S-line is not offered in the US but is in Canada other than some testing issue.

I too am perplexed by the lack of any press positive or negative regarding the TTS roadster. This is the only Mk 3 that would entice me to trade in my Mk 2 earlier than I had originally planned. According to the last issue of Quattroworld, the TTRS coupe will be sold in the US in late 2016.
Old 06-21-2015, 09:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Vegas-roadster
... According to the last issue of Quattroworld, the TTRS coupe will be sold in the US in late 2016.
That's good news, thanks!
Old 06-21-2015, 02:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I don't know that I've ever seen a TT outside of a dealership. Alright, maybe one or two, but I really don't think it's a very common car.

That's not specific to the TT, it's a general rule with all dealerships on all models, including the ones physically sitting in front of them.
Old 06-22-2015, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

...6. Dealer Community. Here in Minnesota I thought my dealer was highly ignorant on there products.... well it seems like ALL dealers are ignorant on this product.....no one has any concrete information...
When you say "dealer" do you mean the "salesholes" or someone on the management team?