TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

New 18" Pirellis on TTS

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default New 18" Pirellis on TTS

A few days ago I purchased 245/40R18 Pirelli P Zero A/S Plus tires for my 2016 TTS. They replaced the worn out Pirelli P Zero Nero A/S tires that I had left over from my S4. Tire Rack's review said the A/S Plus are even more quiet and comfortable than the Conti DWS 06, and I was hoping that they might go a long way toward curing the overly harsh ride of the TTS. After a just few miles my judgement is that the A/S Plus tires handle very well and are softer riding, but they do not come close to correcting for the car's very rough ride. Also, there was not enough difference to give any hope that changing tires would make the ride on the stock 19" wheels anywhere near acceptable. Too bad. The 19s will live in my attic until I sell the car.

On a better note, the 5000 mile service went very well. Without any argument, Audi ordered the rear shock mounts, a missing under-body splash shield, a missing engine cover grommet, and a scuffed window seal. They advised against putting TT springs on the TTS because they aren't sure whether the springs or shocks are causing the rough ride.
Old 08-24-2016, 01:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Though my TTS isn't the smoothest ride, I don't find it unduly harsh. Unless, the road is totally trash, I hardly even notice it- And, I have the 20 Inch rims.
For a car that offers such a nimble ride, I'd say it performs remarkably well.
FWIW, the softest tire that comes to mind would be Michelin.
Old 08-25-2016, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Unfortunately, the majority of the roads in Illinois and Wisconsin ARE totally trashed.
Old 08-25-2016, 12:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

NY State roads seem to be about the worst in the tri-state area, God help anyone with roads worse than mine.
Old 08-25-2016, 01:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gbob
NY State roads seem to be about the worst in the tri-state area, God help anyone with roads worse than mine.
I think that would be around Flint, MI. I regularly drive from the Twin Cities to Elmira via Wisconsin, SS Badger, Michigan, and Ontario, and the interstates that run through Flint are the worst. (It's not only the water that's screwed up there.) However, even around Flint, the TTS on 19s is not uncomfortable.

The best roads of the trip are in Ontario...

- Chuck
Old 08-25-2016, 02:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

n828cl, I agree the TTs is not a bad ride even on bad roads. It isn't a Cadillac but then I wouldn't be seen in a Caddy.
If only we could up our standards, then our roads would be as good as our neighbors to the North.
Old 08-26-2016, 05:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

I agree that the TTS doesn't ride like a Caddy, but its suspension dynamics and sophistication should compare favorably to a Porsche or BMW, and they don't. Drive a Boxster or Cayman or the S model of either one and you will know what I mean.
Old 08-26-2016, 06:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 249 Likes on 212 Posts

My recent experience with Conti DWS is "stay away". My wife's MB E350 came with the Pirelli P Zero A/S and while their tread life and handling were good, I thought their rain handling was mediocre and very poor in snow. I went to the DWS and while rain and snow performance was for superior IMO, they wore out in 10K miles. Checking Tire Rack reviews, I am now seeing others with similar tire wear complaints while I saw none when I bought the tires. I guess Continental has changed its formulation. I've now gone with Michelin Pilot sport A/S. Handling ad rain performance are excellent. No snow yet (I have a cabin in north AZ).
Old 08-26-2016, 06:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Gbob
The Boston/Providence area would give NY a run for the money.

Originally Posted by Vegas-roadster
My recent experience with Conti DWS is "stay away". My wife's MB E350 came with the Pirelli P Zero A/S and while their tread life and handling were good, I thought their rain handling was mediocre and very poor in snow. I went to the DWS and while rain and snow performance was for superior IMO, they wore out in 10K miles.
Were these the old DWS or the newer DSW 06? On my A6 I have 20K miles on my DWS 06 and there's still about half of the usable tread left. Having owned both the DWS and DWS 06, I feel they are two completely different tires. The 06 has superior handling, at least as good in rain or light snow and very quiet.
Old 08-26-2016, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

I have 2 friends who run DWS 06 on their sports cars. They love 'em, but the Audi service manager says those big tread blocks get get loud as they wear. When Tire Rack rated the Pirelli P Zero A/S + even higher the DWS 06 and Mich PS A/S 3+ I had to go with the Pirellis. So far I'm impressed. I'm headed up to Wisconsin today where the roads are horrible. That'll be the real test for noise and comfort. I'll get a chance to test them on a couple of entrance ramps, too

Last edited by Jeffc; 08-26-2016 at 09:01 AM.

Quick Reply: New 18" Pirellis on TTS