TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

New 18" Pirellis on TTS

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2016, 03:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Huey52
I never really noticed. Honestly.

The 5-series is a sweet Grand Touring ride. The TTS is pretty good on a long trip but of course more a sports car.

As we know the TTRS has 7th gear, so Audi must have recognized the customer desire for a bit better cruiser.
The 7th gear was more likely a matter of meeting various stringent mileage requirements. One of the TT RS trip reports noted that it attained significantly better highway fuel economy than the TTS.
Old 09-26-2016, 06:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Yep, part of being a better cruiser. 😉
Originally Posted by Balthazar-B
The 7th gear was more likely a matter of meeting various stringent mileage requirements. One of the TT RS trip reports noted that it attained significantly better highway fuel economy than the TTS.
Old 10-18-2016, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gbob
NY State roads seem to be about the worst in the tri-state area, God help anyone with roads worse than mine.
Concur that NY, tri-state roads are horrendous!
Old 10-19-2016, 12:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I put the 19" Hankooks back on after the rear shock mounts were replaced. Not bad, until I drove up into Wisconsin and onto Kenosha's messed up streets. At any rate, I think I can put up with the 19" ride now that the mounts have been replaced.

I may be getting a little schizo changing tires so many times, but I'm sure that the Hankook summer tires are quieter on some stretches of hiway than the new Pirelli AS tires. Also, Tire Rack finally did a snow test on the Pirellis. Not great. Probably should have gone with DWS06. Good thing I wear out tires so fast
Old 10-19-2016, 05:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Still waiting for my car (though I now have a vin... yeah!) so I cant comment with any authority on ride quality. Very personal thing anyway. I find the discussion interesting though as I'm beginning to wonder about the value of an adjustable mag setup as opposed to a good old fashion 2 way adjustable shock. I guess I'll find out soon enough. OTOH, in my testing I didn't find the S rode all that hard even in dynamic on 20s, though it did at times seem annoyingly nervous. Then again, my sensibilities have been calibrated by some pretty stern stuff over the years.

Thinking out loud, so to speak, I do wonder about the physics of significant front weight bias coupled with a really stiff short wheelbase chassis. Given the 60/40 split with the engine mass at the extreme forward, I could imagine that any upward deflection of the front end results in more leverage rearward than with some other designs. If so, that would mean xfering load to the rear springs. The lighter, lower inertia rear (thus more easily accelerated) winds up and then unloads that energy at just about the same time the trailing wheel hits the bump. Might that amplify things at the *** end of the car? Dunno, likely all silly talk as, for the record, I'm not remotely a suspension designer. Still it is interesting that smoothing things out a bit comes via replacing the rear mounts.