TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

New Owner - First Audi - First Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 09:00 AM
tah
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Owner - First Audi - First Question

First of all, hello to everyone. Just got my first Audi last week.

17 TTS, Galcier White, Tech Package, Black Optic, Red Calipers, B&O System, Nappa Leather.

Traded a 14 Porsche Carrera S so got money back and that's always nice. Nice car but completely useless anytime theres a little ice or snow.

I'm REALLY enjoying this car! I find it refined with good power, ALL the tech anyone could ask for, but have one question.

Is anyone running a tune on the latest model TTS?

I've read the tuner responses that state "all the main guys are basically the same".

Looking for some real world experience if possible.

And I'm only looking for a tune. Don't really want to get into downpipe, turbo, exhaust, dv....etc....

Just some nice gains with a flash...

Thanks for any advice!
Old 01-03-2017, 09:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

U should look into the new jb4 piggy back by burger tuning. Similar gains as a ecu tune but completely plug and play. Can remove. No need to flash ecu
Old 01-03-2017, 10:26 AM
tah
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Bknewtype
U should look into the new jb4 piggy back by burger tuning. Similar gains as a ecu tune but completely plug and play. Can remove. No need to flash ecu
Thanks, I'll check that out.....
Old 01-03-2017, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome, and congrats! Looking for the same so will be following this thread...
Old 01-04-2017, 06:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 249 Likes on 212 Posts
Default What does Burger mean "for competition race vehicles only"?

Originally Posted by Bknewtype
Do they mean emissions go to crap (who cares unless it destroys you catalytic converter), shorten engine life, voids warranty, race cam like poor idle???
Old 01-06-2017, 11:12 AM
tah
Audiworld Junior Member

Took the car to my local APR Dealer and no dice.

My ECU is a new model they haven't written a program for...yet....

So I'll wait.

Not sure about keeping this car anyway...the seats are killing my back!
Old 01-06-2017, 03:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 152 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by tah
Took the car to my local APR Dealer and no dice.

My ECU is a new model they haven't written a program for...yet....

So I'll wait.

Not sure about keeping this car anyway...the seats are killing my back!
That's pretty odd....because if you go to the APR website it clearly lists the 2017 TTS ECU upgrade that is available. I know someone that has had it already installed as well, so yes...it's available. Took his flashed car for a drive and wow...it's a noticeable change, but you will likely want the transmission ECU upgrade as well. Without it there can be some funky 1-2 gear shifts under full throttle that is significantly minimized by the transmission software upgrade.
Old 01-06-2017, 03:34 PM
tah
Audiworld Junior Member

New model ECU.

Not a new model car...

How bad was the 1 - 2 shift?
Old 01-06-2017, 03:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 152 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by tah
New model ECU.

Not a new model car...

How bad was the 1 - 2 shift?
Again, the 2017 ECU has a tune available from APR....it's right on their website.

It was explained to my friend that the TCM is communicating with the ECM and "prepares" for the 1-2 shift based on RPM and the anticipation of shifting as the engine reaches redline. With the APR software this timing is now always interpreted correctly because the engine revs so ridiculously fast. So on occasion the 1-2 shift wont occur before you hit redline and fuel cutoff is initiated...meaning there is a momentary pause in acceleration at the transmission "catches up" with it's shift. It's not that anything mechanically is being damaged, and it only occurs under full throttle and at redline, and only on the 1-2 shift. In normal day to day driving the shift is completely normal. The TCM upgrade helps the transmission logic adapt to the new-found power and eagerness to rev. It seems to basically solve the problem, however my friend has experienced still hitting the rev limiter once or twice even after the TCM upgrade. In my opinion this is really a 1st world problem.... I'd recommend the ECM upgrade and then drive it and see if its something you experience. You can always do the TCM upgrade at a later date if you think it's necessary. The car is brutally fast with the upgrade approaching the upcoming TT RS performance envelope for not much money.
Old 01-06-2017, 05:20 PM
tah
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the detailed explanation on the shifting.I realize what is on the APR website. What I'm saying is that Audi will use different model/build/series of ECUs on the cars as they batch them out the door. My model number on the ECU (NOT the car), has not been re-written yet. Until APR "sees" a TTS with the same ECU and verifies all the parameters are identical they will not do the flash. I'm cool with that.

This was an authorized APR dealer who hooked my car to the computer that communicated with APR. Believe me, if there's anyway they could've taken my money they would have. They're supposed to contact me as soon as the program is ready.

Quick Reply: New Owner - First Audi - First Question