TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

New Owner - First Audi - First Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 04:46 PM
tah
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Talked with APR today and I'm going to send them my ECU so they can do the "extraction".

They had the record of my car from the local APR dealer and confirmed they don't have a flash for my car.

Since they get the use of my ECU they'll discount the flash price.

I'm thinking I'll also get the TCU flash as some have recommended.

From what I gather online the ECU is under the Windshield Wiper cowl and doesn't look like a tough job at all.

Just waiting for it to be a decent temperature here so the plastic bits won't be so brittle.
Old 01-09-2017, 04:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 152 Likes on 103 Posts

I was very apprehensive about my friend's S3 having the ECU tune + the TCM tune. Worries me that increased clamping force on the clutched with a significant power boost must just be brutal on the clutch planes, especially a launch control. Since the TT RS uses a different transmission, and I don't see other Audi using this transmission at that power level it makes me wonder if a tuned TTS is feeding in more oomph than it can handle. This is strictly my armchair observation. My friend's S3 had a horrible smell after a couple of lunch controls back in a short time...and it sure wasn't tires. I was sure it was transmission clutch plates.... Anyone else have some thoughts? Since APR is so reputable the TCM flash must be sound within reason or they probably wouldn't offer it.

Can't wait to get your feedback one you get the car up and going with the new software!
Old 01-09-2017, 05:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I know this may seem heretical...

…but my response to the TTS/S3/Golf-R is not that they need more power. If I were spending money, I would work on the handling and brakes - especially the brakes. After nine Audis, I am most disappointed with the longevity and fading associated with repeated hard use of the brakes. Perhaps an aftermarket performance exhaust would be worth the performance and aural satisfaction. To each his/her own, but to grenade the warrantee for more horsepower seems like a step backward. If you really feel it needs more oomph - why not just get the TTRS, which will likely cost less than all the upgrades? Of course, my bias is handling in the canyons. I have never used launch control on my RS5 or really care about straight line dominance. If that were the case, I would have saved a wad of money and thrown down for some unbreakable American iron.

Congrats on the car as it has such a performance envelope along with practicality. You can get a ton of stuff in the hatchback and the all-weather capacity is phenomenal.

Happy Motoring

Eric
Old 01-09-2017, 05:25 PM
tah
Audiworld Junior Member

My research has found that the shifts don't happen fast enough with the ECU flash and no TCU flash. Power delivery and revs build much quicker than the standard TCU map is timed to anticipate.

This causes bouncing off the rev limiter, cutting fuel and slowing you down. Supposedly REALLY a problem on the 1 -2 shift. Also rears it head on other shifts... occasionally.

From what I've found the S-Tronic is good for 500 ft/lb....EASY.....
Old 01-09-2017, 05:31 PM
tah
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by eric strauss
why not just get the TTRS, which will likely cost less than all the upgrades
Not quite.

You can get TTRS performance for a LOT less money. Slightly lower HP but higher torque. Let's call it a draw.

Should the engine "grenade", which I haven't read of any APR tunes ever doing.....

Flatbed it to the APR Dealer, flash back to stock, flatbed to Audi to be fixed. I've got four cars. I don't care if I'm without one for a couple of weeks/months.

Like my Sr. Audi rep said, we can't hold it against you if we can't see it.....

I've tuned several BMW's using Dinan. They were warrantied and backed by BMW. Not quite the same thing...but these engines are tuned to run under-stressed...

They'll take a 33% HP bump with NO problem....
Old 01-09-2017, 05:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 152 Likes on 103 Posts

If you have a RS5 and have never used launch control I almost feel sorry for you!!!!! LOL How could you possible not experience the explosive off-the-line performance!!!! Ha Ha The software flash is $600, a far cry from the $15,000+ needed to move up to the RS. Besides, some of the drivability is just different with the tune and just makes it a far nicer car to drive, even when not bombing canyon roads!
Old 01-09-2017, 06:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by farmerjones
If you have a RS5 and have never used launch control I almost feel sorry for you!!!!! LOL How could you possible not experience the explosive off-the-line performance!!!! Ha Ha The software flash is $600, a far cry from the $15,000+ needed to move up to the RS. Besides, some of the drivability is just different with the tune and just makes it a far nicer car to drive, even when not bombing canyon roads!
one thing i forgot to try was launch control on my r8 before i sold it );
Old 01-09-2017, 09:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default To each his own… that what makes owning are fun...

Originally Posted by farmerjones
… again, no interest in pushing my car to the maximum while I sit there and say wow - letting computers sort it all out for me. Straight lines have really no interest for me. It becomes a race for how many dollars you can spend. The answer to how fast do you want to go is always "How much do you want to spend? For me, the relationship is in the total driving experience. Typically, that's why I engage the canyons at first light, so the roads are to myself. 150 miles, then done. When the folks come up and want to race, I just let'm go. Couple of cool Audi instructors I have followed and from them I have learned some interesting cornering lines. Driving schools, etc are different, but those activities are not conducted on public roads.

I have no desire to see my car on a flatbed either - even if the warrantee can be stretched with dishonesty. Its ironic that we expect full dealer fidelity, but will fool them if we can.

Comparing APR tune to Dinan is frivolous as the warrantee burden is transferred to another carrier. Again, its your money and a free country - do as you please… follow your bliss

Don't feel sorry for me - I wouldn't exchange my life with anyone ;-)

Happy Motoring

Eric
Old 01-09-2017, 10:49 PM
tah
Audiworld Junior Member

I wouldn't use the word "dishonesty" and claim the high road because our choices aren't yours. Makes you sound "holier than thou" and no one likes that.

You want to stay stock, I respect your choice.

My dealer is FULLY aware that some folks run tunes. The head Service Writer was telling me about one of his S6 customers using APR with the smart phone app. In his own words he stated that as long as the Audi computer sees a stock flash when connected he could care less.

And other than the warranty coverage, Dinan and APR is a great comparison. They both take robustly built motors closer to their potential with practically zero risk at a very reasonable price. Also Dinan doesn't pick up the Warranty. If something breaks they've agreed to arbitrate with BMW to decide who pays for what.
Old 01-09-2017, 10:59 PM
tah
Audiworld Junior Member

Just as an FYI....

When I referred to the car breaking and flashing it back to stock before taking it to Audi....

I'm talking about when ANYTHING goes wrong and AoA has to diagnose. Could be simple as a power seat failure. Not a catastrophic engine event.

The reference to a flatbed would be something like a fuel or ignition problem preventing me from driving the car to be reflashed back to stock.

Quick Reply: New Owner - First Audi - First Question