TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

New Owner - First Audi - First Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 06:31 PM
tah
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, highway roll on from 70 and up is really amazing.

I don't think there's too many cars you have to worry about "walking" you at highway speeds.

The thing I find most amaziing is that this is being done with a four cylinder!

Unheard of a few years ago. That's the wonder of turbos and great engine management software.

Like others I found the stock tune on the TTS really good out of the box. Thought I'd try the APR just to see and wow! Glad I made the move.

I've got a BMW 640i Gran Coupe going in tomorrow morning for the Dinan install. I've had a few of their tunes but it's not a flash. It's a complete engine computer that installs between the stock computer and all the engine wiring. Ir "runs" the engine and reports back to the stock computer that all is well and "tricks" the car into thinking the stock computer is in charge...but it's not! It's not $800 though more like just over $2000.

Nice thing about the Dinan for BMW's is it's installed at the dealership and carries full factory warranty. If something breaks it's between Dinan and BMW to decide who's paying. But it won't be me!

Only apprehension I had about the APR was the fact that it violates warranty. But as I stated earlier if it breaks I'll have it flat-bedded to have the software returned to stock and then flat-bedded to Audi to have it fixed.

But in my Internet searches I couldn't find a single example of an APR tune causing damage. That increased my confidence enough to take the risk.
Old 02-14-2017, 02:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tah
Yeah, highway roll on from 70 and up is really amazing.

I don't think there's too many cars you have to worry about "walking" you at highway speeds.

The thing I find most amaziing is that this is being done with a four cylinder!
Thatss

Unheard of a few years ago. That's the wonder of turbos and great engine management software.

Like others I found the stock tune on the TTS really good out of the box. Thought I'd try the APR just to see and wow! Glad I made the move.

I've got a BMW 640i Gran Coupe going in tomorrow morning for the Dinan install. I've had a few of their tunes but it's not a flash. It's a complete engine computer that installs between the stock computer and all the engine wiring. Ir "runs" the engine and reports back to the stock computer that all is well and "tricks" the car into thinking the stock computer is in charge...but it's not! It's not $800 though more like just over $2000.

Nice thing about the Dinan for BMW's is it's installed at the dealership and carries full factory warranty. If something breaks it's between Dinan and BMW to decide who's paying. But it won't be me!

Only apprehension I had about the APR was the fact that it violates warranty. But as I stated earlier if it breaks I'll have it flat-bedded to have the software returned to stock and then flat-bedded to Audi to have it fixed.

But in my Internet searches I couldn't find a single example of an APR tune causing damage. That increased my confidence enough to take the risk.
Thats a piggy back. Which is what i have. Well worth it
Old 02-14-2017, 02:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tah
I've had the tune installed on my 2017 TTS for a couple of weeks now so I can write an honest review. This thing is fast! It's faster then the 2014 Carrera S I traded in because you don't have to build revs to get big torque which as we all know is what pushes the car down the road. HP lets you keep running out but torque "gets you there". Please no HP vs Torque debates..... I didn't realize just how potent this tune was until yesterday. I drove to DC to check out a 2015 Cayman GTS. I was really disappointed in the freeway (60 ~ 80mph) performance after driving my TTS there. Really have to stomp on it, wait for the downshift, revs to build and THEN you get going. The TTS just goes. But lets put it in perspective.... 2015 Cayman GTS Curb Weight: 3031 LBS 340 HP @ 7400 RPM 280 FT/LBS @ 4750 RPM 2017 TTS Stock Curb Weight: 3241 LBS 292 HP @ 5400 RPM 280 FT/LBS @ 1900 RPM 2017 TTS with APR 93 Octane High Torque Tune Curb Weight: 3241 LBS 370 HP @ 5350 RPM 383 FT/LBS @ 3750 RPM So the TTS weighs 200 +/- pounds more. But when tuned it produces + 30 HP at 2050 RPM lower. And here's the REAL BIGGIE! +103 FT/LBS at 1000 RPM lower. As you know if you have a TTS.... Cruising at 70 ~ 75 MPH is at just over 3000 RPM's. So Maximum torque is just a second away. This thing is SICK from 60 to 80, 70 to 90, or on to 110 if you feel like it. I've only done one hard launch and then didn't use launch control. Just put it in Dynamic and nailed it. What a rush! I've owned a lot of porsches and the only one I'm going to avoid is the 911 Turbo. All others are dead meat, light-to-light or in a freeway roll on up to sane speeds. I know what the Porsches do at 140, 150, 160 etc... But guess what? I don't go there. I know they're (Porsches) better track tools but I'm not a track rat. Never have been and don't really think the idea of going through two sets of $2000 Michelin Pilot Sport Cups in one weekend is something I want to do. So if you're thinking about the APR tune all I can say is do it! You'll end up having a LOT of fun!
Where did you end up buying from and did you install it ? Did you have to also upgrade the clutches?