TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

Newbie looking to purchase a TTS with questions - oh joy!

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2015, 05:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie looking to purchase a TTS with questions - oh joy!

Hello,
I am brand spanking new to this forum. I tried to read as many posts as I could so as not to bring up a previously concluded topic; forgive me if I missed it please.

I am a possible newcomer to the Audi family. I have been looking at cars for a long time (since last spring) and (think) I have found the winner in a '16 TTS to purchase. I love everything about it (except no manual option) that I can ascertain from reading and researching; but alas have not test driven one or even seen one in person. The Dallas, TX area dealers each should be getting 1 or 2 in soon.

Performance
1. How bad is the turbo lag from a standing start? I like a car with torque that effortlessly can move off the line without mashing the throttle.
2. I like spirited driving now and again; however, if driving "respectfully", what are people seeing as real world gas mileage as calculated by miles driven divided by how many gallons to fill the tank? I always find the trip computers on cars, ahh let's say a bit optimistic RE gas mileage!

Exterior
2. Night driving, How do you rate the brightness of the lights? I'm 53 with glasses...sigh. Huey52 seems to like the brightness!
3. Anybody have the roof mounted bike rack? How easy is it to install? Does it go on quickly?
4. Quality of the paint and matching of color among the metal and plastic parts? One of the posts was about mis-matched paint. Im wondering if anyone else noticed this issue.

Interior
1. I noticed on another thread that there is no seat memory (not a huge deal as I am the only driver); yet, someone thought that there was a 2 seat memory, it was just tied to key fobs 1 and 2. That thread never confirmed if this was true - can anyone provide the answer? I know I can find out (maybe) from the dealer; although in my past experience I usually know more about their product than they do. Not a big deal as I have stated; it just seems weird as every car I have had ('cept for my '74 Camaro) had that feature LOL! In addition,
2. I have heard that there is no side extension to the vanity visor, so sun coming in the side windows could be troublesome - now this IS a big deal for me. TX sun glare can be brutal. I have seen after market sun extenders, so I guess that is a solution. Any comments on that feature or lack of a feature? Anyone have a great fix/solution?
3. I am a big Waze (navigation app on my iPhone) user as it diverts your route around traffic automatically. How is the Audi navigation; does it automatically account fir traffic on your route?
4. How is iPhone integration? Does it allow for mirroring of your phone screen on the virtual cockpit? Can the TTS's controls operate the phone? Note, I am not asking RE. Texting or email; rather for Waze app integration (if needed) and music; IE song search.
5. Quality of the bluetooth integration with phone for music playback?
6. Quality of TTS's microphone for hands free driving while on a phone call.

Disclaimer RE the following virtual cockpit questions - I am a huge fan of what I see Audi did here; however, there are some basics that need to be fast and easy to use, such as:
7. Is it easy (with your presets) to change XM radio stations? What about tuning up or down a chanell above and below your preset - is it a one button/**** adjustment? Same question RE. Volume. I so loathe the touch screens most vehicles are using these days. Big fat, high quality tactile ***** of old just ruled here! I constantly change stations and volume and can be very annoyed when this procedure is made difficult.
8. When changing volume, do you have to "wait" for a colume graphic to leave the screen prior to making another adjustment, or just seeing the screen info for song title, etc?
9. How easy to change the AC/Heat temperature by one degree up and down? Again, i miss a quality **** for this!

Mainly I want a great performing vehicle that is reliable if treated and maintained. Any past experience with earlier TT's in this regard? I look forward to driving and hopefully purchasing one of these pups soon!

Thanks All!
James

Last edited by uberwgn; 12-01-2015 at 05:11 AM.
Old 11-27-2015, 05:05 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Title of post should read "TTS" not TRS. Damn auto correct!
Old 11-27-2015, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi Bolter
Best of luck getting all your questions answered, here is my contribution.

I have not been able to drive the TTS yet either, but those who have say turbo lag is not a big issue with the Mk3 TTS (it was a huge issue with the Mk2).

A Bike Rack is possible, see here:

The Audi TT Forum :: View topic - Show us your Mk3 TT

https://shops.audi.com/en_GB/web/zub...arrier-systems

The seat memory is a big issue for me, I use it extensively on my A5, it's not a dealbreaker though. I think you will find it does not exist in this model, same issue with the A3 / S3 / Q3. This is an example of VAG being unwilling to optimise their cars for North America.

Volume adjustments should be seamless, and there are dedicated buttons on the console and steering wheel.

HVAC ***** integrated into the vents do have a positive click when adjusting which is nice.

Touch screens in cars are a massive mistake and do not follow good Human Factors Engineering practice, thankfully Audi has not gone there.
BMW and Audi do these systems best. I think Audi has broken some best practices in the Virtual Cockpit as the menus do not flow as well as they should.
Also I do not (yet) believe in the complete integration of driving specific and non-driving specific information in that one spot, i.e. I think I would prefer a separate centre screen. Those who are tech knowledgeable adapt quickly to it but without having lived with it beyond my test drive (in an S line quattro coupe) I am no expert on it, just a little sceptical that it is the best route. I think the driving information area should not be configurable, the same information should be in the same spot every time you look down, it's part of the situational awareness aspect of best practice Human Machine Interface engineering in my opinion.

These links may be helpful if you have not seen them:
https://www.youtube.com/user/AudiofAmerica/playlists

http://www.audiusa.com/content/dam/a...tart-guide.pdf

Last edited by Can_Quattro; 11-27-2015 at 10:48 AM.
Old 11-27-2015, 01:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Can Quattro,
Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed answer; I very much appreciate it. As well I agree with your comments RE. Human Factors Engineering Practice. Thanks also for the links, especially to the photo of the bike rack. Audi sells a bike rack also; however, Audi's looks like the front wheel must be removed.
Old 11-27-2015, 01:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Bolter
Can Quattro,
Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed answer; I very much appreciate it. As well I agree with your comments RE. Human Factors Engineering Practice. Thanks also for the links, especially to the photo of the bike rack. Audi sells a bike rack also; however, Audi's looks like the front wheel must be removed.
Glad the information was helpful. I think you missed the link to the Audi Shops, they have a model that does not require wheel removal.
Specifically:

https://shops.audi.com/en_GB/web/zub...ck-8t0071128-9
Old 11-27-2015, 01:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Can Quattro, I did miss that link; thank you!
Old 11-27-2015, 03:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Another question - does the tpms display individual air pressure for each tire?
Old 11-27-2015, 03:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Bolter
Another question - does the tpms display individual air pressure for each tire?
My understanding is that the system in the TT does not use pressure transmitters at the wheels.
It uses the wheel speed sensors to analyze if there is and unexplained difference in wheel speeds that would indicate a tire pressure issue.
So no pressures indicated in the MMI due to the technology.

They guys in the UK have found it throws a lot of false alarms in the Mk3 TT.
Maybe it will get fixed in a software update, sound like they have an issue in their program that results in false alarms.
Old 11-27-2015, 04:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the TPMS explanation Can Quattro. And here I though I had read through all of the old threads!
Old 11-30-2015, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Been driving my TTS for a while now, so I'll give your questions a try.

Exterior
  1. While turbo lag is minimal, it is not correct to say there is none. I came from an S5 (3.0 Supercharged) and that motor was certainly more immediate off the line. Note that any lag is far more noticeable in any mode other than Dynamic, where there car appears to pre-load the transmission (idle rpm increases to ~1,200).
  2. Real world gas mileage for my cycle (80% highway) is 27-28mpg. On a long run can easily exceed 30. Day at the track earned me 8.1mpg.
  3. IDK
  4. I have Mythos Black. Just performed a complete detail and I can't spot a difference, although I am guessing this would be a hard color to notice anyway.
Interior
  1. No seat memory. Tried two different keys, does not work. Keys do save MMI settings however.
  2. No extensions, have not noticed until you asked.
  3. Navigation avoids traffic, data is far more accurate than the old Sirius system in my S5. It will reroute around traffic, but is probably much less dynamic. I am guessing Waze is ultimately better, but there is no way to directly incorporate.
  4. I do not have an IPhone, buy display mirroring etc. is not possible. Integration limited to playing files on phone or Bluetooth. That said, this "old school" integration on my Windows Phone is better than any other car I have ever used via Bluetooth.
  5. Bluetooth connection sounds great through B&O. When considering road noise (which is not bad at all), it's better than it needs to be. Connects faster and more reliably than any previous system I have used.
  6. No issues with the microphone. Those on the other end of the line will know you are driving, but never have a problem with clarity or volume. Speech input works accurately.
  7. Presets are well integrated and you can mix radio bands (AM/FM/Satellite). Tuning is very easy if you are in the Media tab on the interface, just scroll.
  8. No delay on volume changes, just scroll, then do something else.
  9. Stupidly easy, big round ****, clearly labeled in the center of the dash. Note that this is a single zone system (which I was surprised, but really not a big deal). Every passenger will ask how to control the vents as it is not intuitive at first, but one you understand, you wonder why it hasn't been this way on cars forever.
Let me know if you have any follow up questions.

Quick Reply: Newbie looking to purchase a TTS with questions - oh joy!