TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

Paint Chips

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2016, 10:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint Chips

Has anyone had any paint chips on their roof (where the windshield meets)?

I'm trying to decide if I should if I should put a film on it. I will be doing the full hood, fenders, bumper & side mirrors. I'm considering the roof and perhaps by the rear wheels (especially with the 20's protruding a bit) and behind the door handles.
Old 07-18-2016, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

No paint chips on roof or near windshield. You must have gotten an unlucky bit of flying debris.
On my MK2, the worst stone chip damage was on the nose of the car. The hood was essentially spared due to the air flow. Even mirrors did not show any stone damage.
For the rear, I would opt for mudflaps, which keep lots of dirt and stuff from hitting the area behind. I would use them on the front, but I think the tight wheel well tolerances may preclude their use( they did on my MK2).
HTH
Bob
Old 07-18-2016, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 250 Likes on 212 Posts

My experience with the Mk 2 is that 95% of all chips occur no further back than 20" behind the hood. After 2 years, my scuba blue looked like it was hit by a shotgun but I do a lot of 80 mph freeway driving. So a "bikini" clear bra would take care of most chips. This would be a partial hood, partial front fenders and full coverage in front of the hood. However, some folks don't like the lines that leaves. I re-sprayed my front and did a full front clearbra with Xpel for $1100 (covers everything in front of the doors). Most installers will do the mirrors and headlights "free". I've never had a significant chip above the windshield on any of my 3 TTs. I've had no chips since the clearbra.
Old 07-18-2016, 04:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

That's good news, yeah I didn't want to the bikini bra (don't want to see the line). Vegas-roadster did the car shine noticeably different where you had xpel and where you didn't?
Old 07-19-2016, 06:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default No difference in shine

Originally Posted by Nas Toronto
That's good news, yeah I didn't want to the bikini bra (don't want to see the line). Vegas-roadster did the car shine noticeably different where you had xpel and where you didn't?
My wife has an Xpel bikini bra on her silver MB E350. There is no difference in shine nor color. You can only see the lines at a few angles. On my scuba blue TT there is no difference in shine but I do see a very slight difference in shade when viewed at some angles, probably due to the darker color and its deep metallic content.
Old 07-19-2016, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks, that's reassuring. I'll be putting a hydrophobic solution (Carbon Flex C9) to the whole car which also has a shine to it. So I hope it all looks relatively uniform. I'm quite nervous about it all but at the end of the day I will probably be the only one who notices the subtle differences.

Originally Posted by Vegas-roadster
My wife has an Xpel bikini bra on her silver MB E350. There is no difference in shine nor color. You can only see the lines at a few angles. On my scuba blue TT there is no difference in shine but I do see a very slight difference in shade when viewed at some angles, probably due to the darker color and its deep metallic content.
Old 07-19-2016, 04:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Cool...looking forward to seeing the full treatment! I do a lot of highway and sadly already have a few little nicks plus the stone chip on the windshield in the first couple weeks soooo I can safely say no nicks on the roof above the windshield. The stone chip on the windshield was very low - almost near the wipers. (I'm almost at 4000km)
Old 07-19-2016, 05:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have paid about $1500 to do my entire front, lights, bumpers and front fenders. The product they are using is Suntex which is self healing and easier to install than other competitors.
Old 07-21-2016, 11:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Heard good things about Suntex. Xpel is also excellent and self-healing

Originally Posted by topgun77
I have paid about $1500 to do my entire front, lights, bumpers and front fenders. The product they are using is Suntex which is self healing and easier to install than other competitors.

All Suntex and Xpel installers in Vegas in Vegas were asking $1500 but I found an Xpel installer that does mobile installs at the local Lambo dealer who gave me the better $1100 price for the full front.

Last edited by Vegas-roadster; 07-21-2016 at 11:42 AM.
Old 07-21-2016, 12:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Vegas-roadster

All Suntex and Xpel installers in Vegas in Vegas were asking $1500 but I found an Xpel installer that does mobile installs at the local Lambo dealer who gave me the better $1100 price for the full front.
I'm getting my full front and windows tinted (Pinnacle Series) for $1650.