TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

Paint Protection Film

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2015, 05:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Can_Quattro
CR8, this sounds way too high!!
In 2011 I had xpel Bumper, Full Hood and Fenders, Lights, Rocker Panels, Door Edge Guards, and A pillars done for $1600.
Done by the best shop in the city.
For all that they quoted $2950 with HST. Not a lot of options in YHZ. It might be cheaper if there were templates, but nobody has them yet for Mk3.

I could ship my car to your city if I knew where you live.
Old 09-18-2015, 12:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default new info on XPEL

my audi dealer doesnt do this kind of work, but they referred me to a place in town that does. its pretty reputable place - they've done bugatti veyron, ferraris, aston martins, tons of porsches - pretty much the gamut of luxury cars. they must be doing something right if the big dogs are going there consistently.

i spoke with them at length and they said that they like XPEL so much, they no longer stock 3M/other products. as they explained to me, one aspect of the product is that a clear coat goes on over the xpel itself, and also it is self healing. not sure if that is the extent but for whatever reason they like XPEL that much more they no longer carry anything else.

im going with full hood instead of the front. mainly because TT is low and could need it unlike higher cars. also because the seam. i was told the seam isnt particularly visibile - and on florett silver and greys its really invisible altogether. over time you may start to see it but you can then get a qtip and alcohol and it'll go away.

im also getting it put on my headlights - which they recommend not just for protection but also because it helps prevent the material from getting opaque/frosted with age.

i also asked about windshield protector and they think its a good product and customers that get it like it, but they always leave that decision up to owner (whereas they actively recommend the paint protection film). one factor to consider is the cost of the factory window. i was told ferrari windshields are $1800 so if you want the original factory window it may be worth it to you.

i guess bottom line is that apparently XPEL is really great stuff and now i see it as a no-brainer whereas before i wasnt sure if it was worth it or not.

to each their own!
Old 09-20-2015, 01:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

A good installer will use custom cut pieces for the hood and fenders instead of pre-cut kits which allows for wrapped edges. Therefore, no seams will be present.
Old 09-22-2015, 09:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mlj1975lsu
i spoke with them at length and they said that they like XPEL so much, they no longer stock 3M/other products. as they explained to me, one aspect of the product is that a clear coat goes on over the xpel itself, and also it is self healing. not sure if that is the extent but for whatever reason they like XPEL that much more they no longer carry anything else.
i guess bottom line is that apparently XPEL is really great stuff and now i see it as a no-brainer whereas before i wasnt sure if it was worth it or not.

to each their own!
I understand that the 3M Scotchguard Pro is a new product, much superior to older 3M films. My dealer had other 3M options, which I suspect are the cheaper versions. I wonder if your dealer "no longer stock 3M" would be based on the older products? I wish I had a choice of products, but with no Xpel dealer around, I might have to go with 3M, but I want to see the product on the high-end vehicles he deals with.

Do I understand that you are not doing the front bumper?
Old 09-22-2015, 07:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

no im doing front bumper, entire front hood

we didnt get into specifics when i spoke with them.. just said they dont carry 3m because they like xpel so much (in so many words).

im sure both are excellent products in the bigger picture.