TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

Please set my TTS ordering expectations...

Old 04-02-2015, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please set my TTS ordering expectations...

I am aware that the 2016 TT will be available sometime this summer in the USA and I hope to order a TTS upon availability... Previously, most of the cars I have purchased have been vehicles that came from manufacturers who put together cars with package options and sold them to dealers for sale to the public. This has been the case for many (but not all) cars, including premium vehicles. Some car dealers regularly take customer orders with only requested options (Porsche, BMW, etc... for example), however some dealers order cars for stock and DISCOURAGE customers from custom orders and encourage (push) customers to purchase overly optioned cars from stock.

Based upon what typically Audi does, please advise if I should expect my local Audi Dealer to welcome/encourage my custom order. I am very particular in how I want my TTS to be configured, however if I can expect an Audi dealer to push me into purchasing a car already in stock, I will probably look elsewhere for my next car...

Any guidance on this issue would be most appreciated.

Thanx.
Old 04-02-2015, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

I ordered my prior A5 and had no issues and I too went a bit different than the norm, e.g. manual transmission but otherwise premium plus. However I know others who had some issues, mostly due to dealer computer-entry mistakes. When you do order verify the order that is actually placed in the system.
Old 04-02-2015, 03:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 248 Likes on 211 Posts
Default If your dealer will not allow you to custom order, find another

Originally Posted by vastts
I am aware that the 2016 TT will be available sometime this summer in the USA and I hope to order a TTS upon availability... Previously, most of the cars I have purchased have been vehicles that came from manufacturers who put together cars with package options and sold them to dealers for sale to the public. This has been the case for many (but not all) cars, including premium vehicles. Some car dealers regularly take customer orders with only requested options (Porsche, BMW, etc... for example), however some dealers order cars for stock and DISCOURAGE customers from custom orders and encourage (push) customers to purchase overly optioned cars from stock.

Based upon what typically Audi does, please advise if I should expect my local Audi Dealer to welcome/encourage my custom order. I am very particular in how I want my TTS to be configured, however if I can expect an Audi dealer to push me into purchasing a car already in stock, I will probably look elsewhere for my next car...

Any guidance on this issue would be most appreciated.

Thanx.
That said, early in the MY you may have a problem finding a dealer with an unfilled TT allocation. That is, an Audi dealer can not just order as many TTs as he wants whenever he wants. He receives an allocation of TTs to order over a period of a few months. Therefore, since there is usually heavy demand for the first articles shipped to the US by buyers who want to buy the next "new thing", dealers are going to configure and order their initial allocation as soon as they get them and likely not wait for a custom order to come along. This will not be a problem if you wait about 6 months after sales start here.

If you are serious about placing a custom order without ever test driving the car, I'd strongly recommend you start discussions with your dealer ASAP to get him to allocate one of his TT slots to your custom order. Also expect to pay a non-refundable deposit if your configuration is not close to the mainstream configuration your dealer normally orders because he may have trouble selling it if you back out. When I've discussed custom TT orders with my dealer before, he offered a discount of half of the difference between MSRP and invoice, but I've never done it for the start of a new model, so discounts on a new Mk 3 may take a while.

I too am looking forward to the new TTS, It sounds like 80% of the old TTRS but with better handling, a great bang of the buck. Unfortunately I am only interested in a roadster and there has been no word that a TTS roadster will ever be sold in the US. The last issue of QuattroWorld said to expect the TTRS (I assume a coupe-only) for the 2017 MY but there has been zero discussion on a TTS roadster in 2017.
Old 04-03-2015, 06:08 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Vegas-roadster
That said, early in the MY you may have a problem finding a dealer with an unfilled TT allocation. That is, an Audi dealer can not just order as many TTs as he wants whenever he wants. He receives an allocation of TTs to order over a period of a few months. Therefore, since there is usually heavy demand for the first articles shipped to the US by buyers who want to buy the next "new thing", dealers are going to configure and order their initial allocation as soon as they get them and likely not wait for a custom order to come along. This will not be a problem if you wait about 6 months after sales start here.

If you are serious about placing a custom order without ever test driving the car, I'd strongly recommend you start discussions with your dealer ASAP to get him to allocate one of his TT slots to your custom order. Also expect to pay a non-refundable deposit if your configuration is not close to the mainstream configuration your dealer normally orders because he may have trouble selling it if you back out. When I've discussed custom TT orders with my dealer before, he offered a discount of half of the difference between MSRP and invoice, but I've never done it for the start of a new model, so discounts on a new Mk 3 may take a while.

I too am looking forward to the new TTS, It sounds like 80% of the old TTRS but with better handling, a great bang of the buck. Unfortunately I am only interested in a roadster and there has been no word that a TTS roadster will ever be sold in the US. The last issue of QuattroWorld said to expect the TTRS (I assume a coupe-only) for the 2017 MY but there has been zero discussion on a TTS roadster in 2017.
Thank you for the information... So, if I understand you correctly, even though Audi has not yet announced configurations and pricing, I should discuss my interest soon with the dealer so that I can have them order what I want as part of their initial allocation...

Thanx
Old 04-03-2015, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 248 Likes on 211 Posts
Default Correct

Originally Posted by vastts
Thank you for the information... So, if I understand you correctly, even though Audi has not yet announced configurations and pricing, I should discuss my interest soon with the dealer so that I can have them order what I want as part of their initial allocation...

Thanx
Since you are a serious buyer with a desire to get exactly what you want on the car, contact your dealer, state your interest in being one of the first, and get their commitment to order you a car to your specs. If you have several local dealers, I'd shop around and ask about discounts offered on your order. Since prices are not yet available, get a quote as a % off of MSRP. 6% would be a smoking deal with 3% more likely, if any are offered. The good news is that you will be one of the first to know options and pricing since the dealer will contact you ASAP when they get ordering data. Share that data with us when that happens.
Old 04-03-2015, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Vegas-roadster
Since you are a serious buyer with a desire to get exactly what you want on the car, contact your dealer, state your interest in being one of the first, and get their commitment to order you a car to your specs. If you have several local dealers, I'd shop around and ask about discounts offered on your order. Since prices are not yet available, get a quote as a % off of MSRP. 6% would be a smoking deal with 3% more likely, if any are offered. The good news is that you will be one of the first to know options and pricing since the dealer will contact you ASAP when they get ordering data. Share that data with us when that happens.
Great information... Thanx.

I will be sure to share data as it becomes available...