TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

Recirculation

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2017, 11:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recirculation

Is there a way to make the A/C recirculation stay on? I have tried setting the "auto recirculation" option both on and off but every time I start the car, the recirculation is off. Seems to me my last BMW was the same way.

Anyone know the trick to making it stay put where I set it?
Old 01-14-2017, 12:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 113 Likes on 87 Posts

No, because you should not always recirculate the air. It will auto recirculate when it needs to based on the settings in the MMI under vehicle.
Old 01-16-2017, 08:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 152 Likes on 103 Posts

The entire point of "auto" is to provide appropriate intervals of fresh air introduced into the cabin while still recirculating on occasion. I must ask, what benefit are you looking for by having the recirculation mode on all the time? Outside of odor control and cooling a hot car quickly, why would you want to use recirculation all the time? Your air quality actually goes down and the air becomes uncomfortably dry?
Old 01-17-2017, 02:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Good question.

It's really just personal preference. After 40 years of driving, I like to keep the bad smells out of the car. Most "automatic" systems react too slowly -- right after they've let the smell into the car, they switch. I like to keep it a closed system, and open it when I want it open.

i live in SW Florida so the dry air is not a problem ...and quick cooling is always desired.

As a final note, since I've been forced to automatic with the TT, she seams to be pretty quick on the odor deflection. That's good news.

Have a great day!
Old 01-17-2017, 06:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No problems with Auto here as well. I've been behind black smoke spewing diesel trucks, and nothing. Not even a whiff. When I drive through the toxic part of Northern NJ, I manually activate the recirculate because it's a known bad air zone.

Letting auto take care of the minor stuff and proactively activating recirc for the bigger known bad air quality areas is the best bet. Constant recirculation is a bad idea, especially with these practically airtight and sound proof Audis. On longer drives, CO2 levels could reach levels that could make you drowsy and decrease alertness.

https://www.americanasafety.com/asso...f%20Switch.pdf

Last edited by f1point0; 01-17-2017 at 06:47 AM.
Old 01-17-2017, 10:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Full time recirculation can also lead to excessive mold/mildew build up in the A/C system that can lead to bad smells, and that's very hard to clean out. Manufactures have put a lot of focus on that (it got to be a big problem before the auto feature was implemented), hence why the auto settings seems to work very well with a good balance of inducing fresh air inside. Hence no more permanent setting is an intentional design choice.
Old 01-17-2017, 10:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hey! I appreciate all of your well wishes, but trying to convince me not to stay on recycle because it's a bad idea is kind'of like me trying to convince you to never drive over the speed limit.

Speeding is the second leading cause of traffic fatalities after drunk driving. According to a 2005 study by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, "The relationship between vehicle speed and crash severity is unequivocal and based on the laws of physics." There you have it: the faster you go, the more likely it is you'll be pulverized in a crash. An object in motion, and so forth. Even though they may sometimes feel arbitrary, posted speed limits exist for a reason. The IIHS study also points out that the likelihood of a crash increases when a driver goes above or below the average speed on a given roadway. When everyone travels at the same general speed, things are more predictable, and the road is safer as a result.
It's one of the many cool things about living in America -- I get to choose as do you.

[all said with levity in mind]

I crack myself up...... You guys have a great day.
Old 01-17-2017, 10:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Perhaps you can take solace in knowing that Audi hasn't kept you from constant recirculation just to spite you!! There is an actual design reason. One of them being the HVAC system is so loud on recirculation. Don't worry, there are things like this that drive me crazy on my Audi, too! Take care!
Old 01-17-2017, 10:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by farmerjones
Perhaps you can take solace in knowing that Audi hasn't kept you from constant recirculation just to spite you!! There is an actual design reason. One of them being the HVAC system is so loud on recirculation. Don't worry, there are things like this that drive me crazy on my Audi, too! Take care!
You actually made me LOL!!!!
Old 01-19-2017, 03:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

If it bugs you that much, it shouldn't be that big of a deal to hit one button when you start the car lol.