TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

Removing front license plate holder?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2015, 04:52 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing front license plate holder?

I want to remove my front license plate holder. Has anyone done this? Is it possible/easy?
Old 10-10-2015, 08:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

I haven't done it myself, but FWIW: before I ordered my car and I was considering buying an incoming car from my dealer which didn't have the factory front license plate delete option, he said they removed the front plate on one of their in-stock cars to see if it was possible and how it worked/looked. He said it came off cleanly without leaving any marks. I didn't discuss any further details with him, but hopefully that's accurate info. Maybe confirm with your service advisor?
Old 10-10-2015, 09:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 113 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by ventro
I want to remove my front license plate holder. Has anyone done this? Is it possible/easy?
Yes, remove the two torx screws on the bottom of the plate frame, then pull forward and up. It will pop off.
Old 10-11-2015, 04:05 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

This worked! Thanks guys!

Old 10-29-2015, 08:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Ok, I removed the two screws from the bottom and lifted up the bracket but the top is on very tight. You say pull it forward and up, so while lifting it up pull it forward?
Old 10-29-2015, 06:58 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Yeah. Up and forwards. The top part is very tight. It came off eventually, but took quite a bit of pulling. I thought it was going to break, but when it came off it came off cleanly.
Old 11-03-2015, 09:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the info. I went back to the dealer and the salesman helped me remove the plate bracket, it looks so much better. Thanks
Old 11-15-2015, 04:00 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hey all, new poster / Audi owner here. Brought home a new A3 Quattro yesterday (my wife's, actually). I too am interested in removing the front license plate bracket. I asked at the dealer, but as an afterthought and after several hours of haggling. Anyhow, he mumbled something about it being complicate by the park assist or lane assist or whatever. Like, the elecronic sensors would need to be recalibrated. Any truth to this? Or should I just yank the thing off and be done with it.

Thanks,
Bruce
Old 11-15-2015, 04:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 113 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceTJ
Hey all, new poster / Audi owner here. Brought home a new A3 Quattro yesterday (my wife's, actually). I too am interested in removing the front license plate bracket. I asked at the dealer, but as an afterthought and after several hours of haggling. Anyhow, he mumbled something about it being complicate by the park assist or lane assist or whatever. Like, the elecronic sensors would need to be recalibrated. Any truth to this? Or should I just yank the thing off and be done with it.

Thanks,
Bruce
No, you can just pull it off. There will be no issues with the parking system sensors. Same style with two torx screws on the bottom of the plate holder.
Old 11-15-2015, 05:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Wow. Some dealers will say anything to get out of doing things. I'm surprised they didn't also cite the Johnson rod. Unbelievable.

As already mentioned, no issue with removal. Audi makes it easy to accommodate differing state/country needs.

Originally Posted by BruceTJ

Thanks,
Bruce

Quick Reply: Removing front license plate holder?