TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

Roadster and Road Noise.

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 05:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roadster and Road Noise.

So I am currently driving a Mini Cooper JCW Roadster.
The road noise when the top is up is Aweful.

Its so bad that I cant make bluetooth headset phone calls in my car when the top is up!

How do you guys think it will be with our new TTs. I have heard its should be much better.

I tested a A3 cab and it was night and day better.

Just wondering your thoughts.

Some of the reviews in the UK say its still not that good.....
Old 07-27-2015, 07:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With the top up my Mk 2 TT was usually fine when I had my iPhone headset in. Never tried the in car bluetooth setup. I'm sure the new one's gonna be even better. The Mk 2 roof was pretty thick and solid feeling.

Most of the time it was even fine top down if I held the mic close to my mouth, unless a big truck was next to me or I was in a tunnel / under a bridge.

New roadster even comes with microphone in the seatbelt if you use the integrated system.
Old 07-27-2015, 08:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 250 Likes on 212 Posts
Default My experinece is the same

Originally Posted by visuar
With the top up my Mk 2 TT was usually fine when I had my iPhone headset in. Never tried the in car bluetooth setup. I'm sure the new one's gonna be even better. The Mk 2 roof was pretty thick and solid feeling.

Most of the time it was even fine top down if I held the mic close to my mouth, unless a big truck was next to me or I was in a tunnel / under a bridge.

New roadster even comes with microphone in the seatbelt if you use the integrated system.
Can communicate OK with my Jawbone noise canceling earpiece with the top down. I use the Mk 2 Bluetooth mic when the top is up and have no issues. I too expect the Mk 3 to be quieter with the top up than the Mk 2. Caveat: Noisy tires can change everything.
Old 07-28-2015, 04:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Mini convertibles and roadsters do not have lined or insulated tops. I think the TT's top is insulated so it should be significantly quieter, as well as warmer in cold weather.
Old 07-28-2015, 05:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 250 Likes on 212 Posts
Default Mk 1 was not insulated, Mk 2 and Mk 3 are

Originally Posted by Barmats
Mini convertibles and roadsters do not have lined or insulated tops. I think the TT's top is insulated so it should be significantly quieter, as well as warmer in cold weather.
Old 08-06-2015, 01:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Havent driven the new MK3 TT roadster, but after having owned a MK2 I can tell you the top is very well insulated. The only place you get sound intrusion is the few inches above where the top meets the metal body of the car in the rear section, that is where the top is very thin and not as well insulated. There is not a lot of wind noise that comes from this area, but you will hear things next to you as if a window is open.

Of course, over time the rubber seals get a little less compliant and you will start to hear a bit more wind noise in certain spots, which started to happen around the 3 year mark on our MK2. We used gummiphledge to keep the seals lubricated, but they just start to degrade over time, but this also occurs in any car.

I can only imagine that engineers improved the acoustic isolation of the new MK3 so expect it to be quiet as well.

If you need info on the actual top:

Sonnenland® | Haartz Corporation

this is the company that makes the top for audi, the TT is a 3 ply 1.3MM thick top. Unknown if new mk3 uses the same line.

We have driven the new mk3 coupe, and I can tell you it was a good deal quieter than the mk2 was. I was very impressed with the noise suppression, both road and wind, even with the 19" tires.