TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

Still waiting for a boat, dammit

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2015, 07:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BEM-S4
Yeah, agreed that was a great car. Went from that to the Macan S for 6 months then an Allroad for dad. I'll have to look at the new replacement, drove the new big one and it's way too big for me but damn they did a nice job on it. Hope the fit and finish on the smaller one is as nice.
Yes apparently the new S90/V90 will be based on the same platform....the new XC90 is a beautiful car but we really prefer wagons lower to the ground, and as you say it's really huge.....it sounds as though the fit/finish will be first class on the new cars, but I expect the price will be first class also. We keep one crash mobile (Volvo) in the garage, and one death trap (TT) in the garage....it's a nice arrangement. Keeps us both happy....
Old 10-30-2015, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by i3adSaab
Yes apparently the new S90/V90 will be based on the same platform....the new XC90 is a beautiful car but we really prefer wagons lower to the ground, and as you say it's really huge.....it sounds as though the fit/finish will be first class on the new cars, but I expect the price will be first class also. We keep one crash mobile (Volvo) in the garage, and one death trap (TT) in the garage....it's a nice arrangement. Keeps us both happy....
When you're looking to replace the Volvo, if the price comes in crazy high on the new one and you don't need a third row of seats I'd check out the Allroad if you haven't already. We had to get rid of the Macan because dad was having trouble getting in and out of it, so we also had ergonomic concerns besides your usual do I like the car type stuff. So we drove literally everything you'd probably be looking at both crossovers and wagons - Volvo, Mercedes, Audi (Q3,Q5, Allroad), BMWs, etc. etc. etc. He regularly hauls the grand kids around in it as well and has no issue with multiple car seats in the back, lots of luggage, etc. I have driven it 200 miles at a time a few times, and it's really great on the highway. Would take that over my M235 in a second for a longer trip. Throw a stage 1 APR tune at it and now you're really talking

Last week in Stockholm I saw an EU only Allroad based on the A6. That was about as sexy as wagons can get, too bad it's not available here.
Old 10-30-2015, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

When you're looking to replace the Volvo, if the price comes in crazy high on the new one and you don't need a third row of seats I'd check out the Allroad if you haven't already. We had to get rid of the Macan because dad was having trouble getting in and out of it, so we also had ergonomic concerns besides your usual do I like the car type stuff. So we drove literally everything you'd probably be looking at both crossovers and wagons - Volvo, Mercedes, Audi (Q3,Q5, Allroad), BMWs, etc. etc. etc. He regularly hauls the grand kids around in it as well and has no issue with multiple car seats in the back, lots of luggage, etc. I have driven it 200 miles at a time a few times, and it's really great on the highway. Would take that over my M235 in a second for a longer trip. Throw a stage 1 APR tune at it and now you're really talking

Last week in Stockholm I saw an EU only Allroad based on the A6. That was about as sexy as wagons can get, too bad it's not available here.
We're on like our 6th Volvo wagon, and each time I've checked out the Audi's because we have them also. But, there was always a huge difference in storage size comparing the Volvo's to the A6's, and the A4 Allroad, while I love the look, is just tiny in the back. The square back of the Volvo wagons makes a big difference in storage room.
Old 10-30-2015, 10:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SimianSpeedster
I checked with my dealer and unfortunately he said he doesn't have any info showing that my car being on a ship yet, and he said the ETA is December. :-| I hope that info is wrong, but if not, I'd be fairly surprised if it takes 2 or more weeks to get aboard a ship. I know there's nothing I can do about it all, but it's frustrating to be in the dark about the process and status. Take a note, Audi: the information provided through BMW's ordering and delivery process is a heck of a lot more customer-oriented.
I agree, Audi's tracking sucks. Try doing European Delivery. My car's been in San Diego for a week & half now, has cleared customs apparently but no idea on when I get it... sigh.

Next one seems to leave on November 9th, so hopefully yours will be on that one.
Old 10-30-2015, 05:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Hang in there, the waiting sucks but it's part of the fun. You aren't up against a deadline for an incentive or anything are you? When we got the Allroad we absolutely had to take delivery by a certain date or lose some year end incentives and were trying to figure out if we could take delivery while the car was still in port in NJ.
Something similar happened to us when we ordered a C250 for my wife years back. There was an issue at the factory that unexpectedly delayed her car by 6 weeks. We were switching away from BMW (or so we thought) and her then current lease was going to be up, but the MB dealer wouldn't offer her a loaner or any reasonable accommodation to offset the BMW lease extension, so we walked away. The dealer was miffed, but none of it was our fault, and by the time they started to act like they cared, we had another BMW from dealer stock.

To answer your question: no, I'm not on a hard deadline, but the whole point of this car is to (somewhat begrudgingly) switch to an automatic transmission because I took a new job that requires a lot more rush hour freeway driving in Southern California (if you're curious to know more: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/tt-...tions-2889018/). To date, I've been slogging through traffic in my car on some days and swapping cars with my wife on other days, so I look forward to having the new solution. I know it's far from a real problem, but there's a part of me that wishes I just took a launch edition!

Last edited by SimianSpeedster; 10-31-2015 at 11:16 PM.
Old 10-30-2015, 05:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by visuar
I agree, Audi's tracking sucks. Try doing European Delivery. My car's been in San Diego for a week & half now, has cleared customs apparently but no idea on when I get it... sigh.

Next one seems to leave on November 9th, so hopefully yours will be on that one.
Well that sucks -- sorry, man. Do you think the delay is specifically related to the customs process for an ED car, or is that just how long the port takes?

Yeah, it looks like Sagittarius Leader could be my boat (http://www.nykroro.com/documents/RTW-AFCON/RTWwk44.pdf). Hard to believe it would take 3 weeks from the completion of production to get on a ship, but I guess that's the deal.
Old 11-02-2015, 07:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SimianSpeedster
Do you think the delay is specifically related to the customs process for an ED car, or is that just how long the port takes?
I believe it is related to ED (mine's supposedly already cleared customs), but not sure. No one seems to know anything, unfortunately. Some Audi logistics person got back with a "no ETA". Sigh.
Old 11-02-2015, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

I believe it is related to ED (mine's supposedly already cleared customs), but not sure. No one seems to know anything, unfortunately. Some Audi logistics person got back with a "no ETA". Sigh.
I just dropped off the TTS at CDG this morning, so I guess the frustration will start building now...
Old 11-02-2015, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by n828cl
I just dropped off the TTS at CDG this morning, so I guess the frustration will start building now...
I just got a text from my dealer that my car has arrived at the dealership! Hurray. Funny enough I'm out of town all of this week... :/
Old 11-02-2015, 11:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree, Audi's tracking sucks. Try doing European Delivery.
Hey just curious, how long was it between dropping off your car and it getting onto a ship? I dropped off mine on Oct 9 but so far the tracking still just shows car dropped off.

Quick Reply: Still waiting for a boat, dammit