TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

Thinking about downsizing to 18" wheels

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2016, 11:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

simian,

I won't try the 1-10 ranking. What I can say is that the magnitude of change is slightly less than the amount of change you get when switching from Dynamic to Comfort mode. The end result is that road noise is significantly reduced. Impact harshness is generally acceptable at hiway speeds but not on city streets, and the rear end gets launched over big dips and rr crossings. I set the Individual mode to Comfort for the suspension and Dynamic for everything else. I suppose that this combo reduces harshness but could actually result in additional rebound over the rr crossings or big dips in the road. Not sure. I'll probably try the 19s this summer and make another assessment.
Old 03-14-2016, 12:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 113 Likes on 87 Posts

Ok, try 2.4 bar front (35 PSI) and 1.9 bar rear (28 PSI). Rear tire pressure does a lot for ride quality, so this may help.

Also, this is a very stiff chassis, so you will feel the impact more when hitting potholes.

I'd also just leave the magnetic ride in auto (which is essentially "medium" firmness) and see how that goes.

When I had my launch edition TTS, I was running similar tire pressures and I didn't notice any negative ride quality issues. Although you may find that the Hankooks are a little bit more comfortable than the Bridgestones.
Old 03-14-2016, 03:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by adg44
I'd also just leave the magnetic ride in auto (which is essentially "medium" firmness) and see how that goes.
Thanks for that tip. Tried it on the way home from work, and it seems to have noticeably reduced the thumps over railroad tracks and recessed manhole covers. More testing tomorrow...

-Chuck
Old 03-14-2016, 09:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks again for all the replies. A few responses:

Looks of 19" wheels vs 18" wheels: admittedly, I think the 19s are a good visual match for the car size-wise, but I'm also not a big fan of the stock TTS wheel design. I preferred the Launch Edition wheels and I dig the optional 19s I've seen on some EU spec cars (http://image.superstreetonline.com/f...uarters-02.jpg), but I could live with 18s if they improve the ride significantly.

Auto setting for suspension: I was under the impression that Auto represented a mode where the car would automatically adjust the suspension mode between the 2 primary settings (comfort/dynamic) based on driving style, but if it's really a medium setting, that's great to know. I'll try it out.

I set the suspension to Dynamic mode this morning and drove my usual commute on the freeways and on a few miles around downtown LA, including a fair slate of crummy roads. While I didn't hit any of the really bad stuff hard today -- I'm building a mental map of the various dips and potholes so I can largely avoid them by memory -- I think I prefer the overall Dynamic ride quality most of the time. More testing is needed, but I'd say the short version is that the little road imperfections feel bigger in Dynamic mode, while the bigger imperfections feel smaller. For example, I feel more of the wheel jiggles over pavement patches, but the overall body control is much improved. Similarly, at a few freeway transitions I know well where the road drops away or rises quickly (bridge expansion joints, for example), the body motions are less exaggerated.

I can also try experimenting with the rear tire pressures this weekend.

Lastly, I confirmed with VWR that their V810 wheels in the 18 x 8.5" size weigh 20.8 lbs. each, so changing to those and Michelin PSS tires (23.7 lbs. each in 245/40-18) would drop 8.5 lbs. per corner. I'm going to talk to a highly-rated local tuning shop, but I'm still leaning toward this setup combined with driving in Dynamic mode by default. I believe the greater suspension control combined with the reduction in unsprung weight and more compliant tires will represent an all-around improvement for my day-to-day driving and no meaningful downside for my purposes.

Still digging around and still testing, but the plan may be gelling...
Old 03-15-2016, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

I, too, am thinking of selling the 20" rims and tires that came with my TTS.
So far, in comfort mode, the ride isn't too bad, though once I get through the break in period, I'd like to use Dynamic mode. At which point, I am pretty sure the 20" wheels are going to be pretty unbearable.
Old 03-15-2016, 01:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I tried dropping the inflation pressure by 2 lbs from the stock 32F/29R. Feels much more comfortable, and I doubt that it will make a major difference to reasonably aggressive driving on public roads. I'm pretty happy with the ride at this point except for the thumping noise coming from the rear shock mounts. The dealer won't order the parts until I bring it in for inspection, but I'll get around to it eventually.
Old 03-15-2016, 02:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Gbob
I, too, am thinking of selling the 20" rims and tires that came with my TTS.
So far, in comfort mode, the ride isn't too bad, though once I get through the break in period, I'd like to use Dynamic mode. At which point, I am pretty sure the 20" wheels are going to be pretty unbearable.
You can use dynamic mode during the break in period.
Old 03-16-2016, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

I know adg44, I tried it for a few miles and knew it was going to be a rougher than I would like.
I also wanted to resist temptation for seeing how I can push the new TTS
Old 03-19-2016, 07:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

After a week running with the suspension set to Auto, I'm happier with the balance (thanks again for the tip, adg44), but I'm still leaning toward switching to lightweight 18s. I also started a discussion with a local tuning shop to get their advice.

So far, the flow formed VWR V810s are my leading wheel option at 20.8 lbs. each in 18 x 8.5" and I'm also looking into the Enkei RS05RRs which look interesting at 19 lbs (if I have the right specs).

Any other strong, lightweight wheel suggestions in 18 x 8.5?
Old 03-19-2016, 08:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Did you adjust the rear tire pressure yet?

Quick Reply: Thinking about downsizing to 18" wheels