TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

Thinking of purchasing a new TTS

Old 02-02-2016, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nas Toronto
Great, I had a friend say his neighbour had issues with his TT in the snow but from everything I've read and researched, it should be fine.
The ground clearance is limited, so you can't push through deep snow regardless of the tires being used. We're supposed to get around six inches here today, so going home this evening might be interesting...

- Chuck
Old 02-02-2016, 02:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 248 Likes on 211 Posts
Default I'll call BS on the selasman

Originally Posted by Nas Toronto
Thanks for taking the time to reply
When I drove the TT I was a lil disappointed, I expected it to more go-cart like but it was refined. I did find it better in sport mode. The salesperson said I would prefer the drive on the TTS (so I'm waiting for one to come to the dealership). I talked to another salesperson and mentioned how the TTRS drives very differently than the TTS and how he does not prefer it but I might. I'm trying to find a car which is like the Mini but faster and better looking. I'm glad to hear that the new TTS is similar to the MK 2 TTRS, hopefully it will satisfy my expectations.
First, few cars are as go-kart as a Cooper. Tough for a TT to feel go-kart-like when your wheelbase is so much longer than a Cooper.

I own a Mk 2 base TT and have driven a Mk 2 TTRS. How the TTRS rides and handles depends on the settings you choose, and there are quite a few you can modify. The salesman who poo-pooed the TTRS ride is full of it. He has not even seen, much less driven, the Mk 3 TTRS so he absolutely no useful information to give you.
Old 02-02-2016, 05:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I am a big fan of the platform...

… but you have three similar choices:

1) TTS
2) S3
3) VW-R

All three have essentially identical running gear and nearly equal performance. The TTS is the least practical of the three given its sloping back roof. I have owned a TT and a VW R and loved them both (granted they were previous gen/Mk versions). The R and S3 have more accessible back seats and the R is the most useful of all. The first gen TT was a radical design and a joy to own, Gen III has lost some of its edgy styling and but not gained any usability.

Happy Choosing

Eric
Old 02-03-2016, 03:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

1) TT/TTS = Sportscar
2) S3 = Sport Sedan
3) Golf R = Hot Hatch

All very good vehicles with differing roles. First decision is what type are you really looking for.

One of my TTS decision points was that it was more daily driver practical, to include stowage capacity, than say a Cayman. So, everything's relative.

By most stylistic accounts the MkIII TTS is far edgier than the MKI/II. The designer himself so articulated. But ultimately an eye of the beholder perception.

Again, can't lose with any of these three.

btw: impressive stowage indeed (3 bundles with seats up; 8 when down - no, not me, from a review):

Originally Posted by eric strauss

1) TTS
2) S3
3) VW-R

All three have essentially identical running gear and nearly equal performance. The TTS is the least practical of the three given its sloping back roof. I have owned a TT and a VW R and loved them both (granted they were previous gen/Mk versions). The R and S3 have more accessible back seats and the R is the most useful of all. The first gen TT was a radical design and a joy to own, Gen III has lost some of its edgy styling and but not gained any usability.

Happy Choosing

Eric
Attached Thumbnails Thinking of purchasing a new TTS-screen-shot-2016-02-04-7.31.59-am.png  

Last edited by Huey52; 02-04-2016 at 03:34 AM.
Old 02-03-2016, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

1) TTS
2) S3
3) VW-R

Happy Choosing

Eric
I prefer the TT from the 3 mentioned. It's such a beautiful car IMO. The back seat and storage don't mean to much to me as I rarely will have anyone in the back (1 kid 5-10 times a year) and be lugging stuff around.

I have a 450H which I use as the family car.
Old 02-03-2016, 10:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Vegas-roadster
First, few cars are as go-kart as a Cooper. Tough for a TT to feel go-kart-like when your wheelbase is so much longer than a Cooper.

I own a Mk 2 base TT and have driven a Mk 2 TTRS. How the TTRS rides and handles depends on the settings you choose, and there are quite a few you can modify. The salesman who poo-pooed the TTRS ride is full of it. He has not even seen, much less driven, the Mk 3 TTRS so he absolutely no useful information to give you.
Yeah he was referring to the MK 2 TTRS, I can't wait till they give more information on the new TTRS (not sure how long I'm willing to hold out).
Old 02-04-2016, 07:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 248 Likes on 211 Posts
Default There appears to be a very popular misconception regarding the S3 and VW cars

1) TTS
2) S3
3) VW-R

Happy Choosing

Eric
They are not "nearly equal performance." Don't feel bad, the recent Car & Driver review of the TTS said the same thing. No matter how you dress up a 4 door sedan like the A3, it can't match the performance of a sports car. About the only similarity among these cars is the engine. Car and Driver's most recent Lightning Lap track tests (IMO the most objective evaluation of the overall performance of a car) show the S3 to be a second faster than the Golf R and 3 seconds faster than the VW GTI. However, the S3 is still almost 3 seconds slower than the old Mk 2 TTS! The Mk3 TTS will leave the Mk 2 TTS in the dust thanks to the increased HP and much improved handling. When it comes to overall road performance, the TTS is vastly superior.
Old 02-05-2016, 11:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I find it best to drive the various cars and make your own choice. Of course, that's hard to do on a forum where it's easier to ask "What should I buy?" - but you need to drive them, period.

A hot hatch is so different from the S3, it's not even funny. The noise is different, the handling is different, and the comfort is different. The S3 is great on paper, but coming from an S6 might feel cheap and unrefined.

So go out and check them out, in person. Yourself. If you can't drive it, don't buy it.
Old 02-05-2016, 02:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

With a wife and family, the money you save by getting a TTS over a money pit like a Porsche can be used for better things. If you don't want such a deep commitment, how about leasing your TTS?
Old 02-05-2016, 02:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

With a wife and family, the faction hit you take with the S3 is significantly lessened

There's something about having four doors, and four hundred horsepower, that satisfies both needs. Of course that would be the RS3!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Thinking of purchasing a new TTS