TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

Thinking of purchasing a new TTS

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2016, 11:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jermarTT
With a wife and family, the money you save by getting a TTS over a money pit like a Porsche can be used for better things. If you don't want such a deep commitment, how about leasing your TTS?
Yeah I think my mind is set on TTS, the unknown maintenance $ is my biggest concern with the Porsche. I'll just wait till I can drive one (looks like March) and then go from there. Maybe at that time they'll have more information on the TTRS and then cause me to prolong my decision
Old 02-06-2016, 12:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PhatBoyG
With a wife and family, the faction hit you take with the S3 is significantly lessened

There's something about having four doors, and four hundred horsepower, that satisfies both needs. Of course that would be the RS3!
4 doors would be practical but I love the new look of the TT. So the RS3 is out.
Old 02-06-2016, 03:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I appreciate the perspective and have been ...

Originally Posted by Vegas-roadster
They are not "nearly equal performance." Don't feel bad, the recent Car & Driver review of the TTS said the same thing. No matter how you dress up a 4 door sedan like the A3, it can't match the performance of a sports car. About the only similarity among these cars is the engine. Car and Driver's most recent Lightning Lap track tests (IMO the most objective evaluation of the overall performance of a car) show the S3 to be a second faster than the Golf R and 3 seconds faster than the VW GTI. However, the S3 is still almost 3 seconds slower than the old Mk 2 TTS! The Mk3 TTS will leave the Mk 2 TTS in the dust thanks to the increased HP and much improved handling. When it comes to overall road performance, the TTS is vastly superior.
...reading Car and Driver since the 1060's with a continuous subscription. The Lightening Lap annual event is hugely entertaining, but not much else. Performance on that one track is not a great metric for ownership, daily driving and weekend fun. For example, the RS7, which is a phenomenal all-around performance car that brings hushed tones of reverence to many on these pages, was such a hot mess on the 2014 Lightening Lap Competition that the reviewers parked it before horrible things happened.

Audi RS7 at Lightning Lap 2014 ? Feature ? Car and Driver

My cars spend too small a percentage on the track to matter and I am unlikely to achieve those lap times, even with a gun to my head and fresh tires every few laps.

All three of those cars that I referenced are so much more similar that comparing a TTs to almost any other choice. None of the three are even close to being track-ready cars without a minimum of 10-15K investment. Neither is my S4 or RS5 for that matter.

For many folks, the idea of a hot hatch messes with their self image and a TTs is is more committed to style (and a beautiful one at that). For me, when my youngest daughter (at age 9) hit her head when I closed the hatch - that was the end of the TT series for us. By then the second gen and now third gen have lost the edgy art deco-like style that made me love it in the first place.

The VW R is missing the four rings, so for many it is below their social scale. I like to reward great engineering at great prices. Its pretty easy to build great expensive cars. Its bitchy hard to get it right for a reasonable price. The fun part about having the R, was that it's affordability allowed us to have a third fun car (A4 Cabriolet).

My wife loves the S3 and it may well be our next 4-door S-Car when her S4 lease expires. However, the rear seat is mostly unusable. The B9 S4 may be the trick, with its nearly two inches more rear leg room that the B8. We will have to see how that 8-speed Tiptronic and the software fares in the canyons. I keep trying to love the S6, as it is a great car. Just not in the canyons on the weekends...

Happy Motoring

Eric

Last edited by eric strauss; 02-07-2016 at 04:28 PM.