TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

Thinking of purchasing a new TTS

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2016, 01:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of purchasing a new TTS

Hi All

First post

I'm looking at a fun car with a back seat (wifes condition), I've narrowed it down to a 5 year old 911 or new TTS. I'm leaning towards the TTS, but am hesitant to pull the trigger since the TTRS is coming. When is it coming, I have no clue but don't want to regret my decision. I also have no clue how much more its going to be than the TTS.

I plan on driving the car all year round in Toronto. Will the TTRS just be too much for everyday driving? Am I just being outrageous to even contemplate this car. My thought process is that I've always wanted a Porsche Cayman GTS but realistically I can't get one for 9 years (kids will be older than 12 by then). If I get the TTRS it will be keep me happy till then. It's something that is rarely on the road and I love the way the new TT's look. So stretching the budget for this ride might be worthwhile.

Lastly, how much percentage off the MSRP should I expect from the dealer? When would be the best time to buy? Do the TTRS only come as special orders? I don't want to buy a car without test driving it.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

*Currently own a Cooper S
Old 02-02-2016, 03:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 250 Likes on 212 Posts
Default Some thoughts

Originally Posted by Nas Toronto
Hi All

First post

I'm looking at a fun car with a back seat (wifes condition), I've narrowed it down to a 5 year old 911 or new TTS. I'm leaning towards the TTS, but am hesitant to pull the trigger since the TTRS is coming. When is it coming, I have no clue but don't want to regret my decision. I also have no clue how much more its going to be than the TTS.

I plan on driving the car all year round in Toronto. Will the TTRS just be too much for everyday driving? Am I just being outrageous to even contemplate this car. My thought process is that I've always wanted a Porsche Cayman GTS but realistically I can't get one for 9 years (kids will be older than 12 by then). If I get the TTRS it will be keep me happy till then. It's something that is rarely on the road and I love the way the new TT's look. So stretching the budget for this ride might be worthwhile.

Lastly, how much percentage off the MSRP should I expect from the dealer? When would be the best time to buy? Do the TTRS only come as special orders? I don't want to buy a car without test driving it.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

*Currently own a Cooper S
First, you will find the Audi TT to be far more reliable than most Coopers and less expensive to own than Porsches. The Audi Club of North America magazine stated about 6 months ago that the TTRS will be offered in the US late in 2016. The Mk 2 TTRS MSRP was about $10K more than the TTS and beat most Porsche models in Car & Driver's Lightning Lap for far less $. IMO, when tested the increased HP and handling improvements will make the Mk 3 TTS about as fast as the Mk 2 TTRS. Folks who own the Mk 2 TTRS find it to be a very good daily driver.

If TTRS sales are comparable to the Mk 2 version, the Mk 3 TTRS will not be "special order only" like the soon to be released BMW M2, although it may be difficult to find one that is not spoken for until about 6 months after release. So if someone on your dealer's staff does not own one, you may have a hard time finding one to test drive.

Audi dealers tend to be tough to get discounts, with 6% being about the max. The Mk 3 is not selling that well in the US with about 2 months of inventory sitting on dealer lots, including about 100 TTS. Don't know about Canada. You would think that dealers would want to negotiate to move the iron. Historically in the auto industry, the best time to buy is the end of a CY quarter with end of March being the next favorable period. The absolute best time is between Christmas and New Year. If Audi offered a TTS roadster, I'd own one by now.
Old 02-02-2016, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'm looking at a fun car with a back seat (wifes condition)
There is a back seat in the TT coupe, but is it even remotely usable? How often will you need to put your children back there?
Old 02-02-2016, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mikey94025
There is a back seat in the TT coupe, but is it even remotely usable? How often will you need to put your children back there?
FWIW I take my 8 year old to school twice a week in the back seat. Not an issue. Have done a few rides with him and my 4 year old.
Old 02-02-2016, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mikey94025

I will probably use it 5-10 times a year. The kids are small, so I don't see it as a potential issue. I only take one at a time.
Old 02-02-2016, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Vegas-roadster
First, you will find the Audi TT to be far more reliable than most Coopers and less expensive to own than Porsches. The Audi Club of North America magazine stated about 6 months ago that the TTRS will be offered in the US late in 2016. The Mk 2 TTRS MSRP was about $10K more than the TTS and beat most Porsche models in Car & Driver's Lightning Lap for far less $. IMO, when tested the increased HP and handling improvements will make the Mk 3 TTS about as fast as the Mk 2 TTRS. Folks who own the Mk 2 TTRS find it to be a very good daily driver.

If TTRS sales are comparable to the Mk 2 version, the Mk 3 TTRS will not be "special order only" like the soon to be released BMW M2, although it may be difficult to find one that is not spoken for until about 6 months after release. So if someone on your dealer's staff does not own one, you may have a hard time finding one to test drive.

Audi dealers tend to be tough to get discounts, with 6% being about the max. The Mk 3 is not selling that well in the US with about 2 months of inventory sitting on dealer lots, including about 100 TTS. Don't know about Canada. You would think that dealers would want to negotiate to move the iron. Historically in the auto industry, the best time to buy is the end of a CY quarter with end of March being the next favorable period. The absolute best time is between Christmas and New Year. If Audi offered a TTS roadster, I'd own one by now.
Thanks for taking the time to reply
When I drove the TT I was a lil disappointed, I expected it to more go-cart like but it was refined. I did find it better in sport mode. The salesperson said I would prefer the drive on the TTS (so I'm waiting for one to come to the dealership). I talked to another salesperson and mentioned how the TTRS drives very differently than the TTS and how he does not prefer it but I might. I'm trying to find a car which is like the Mini but faster and better looking. I'm glad to hear that the new TTS is similar to the MK 2 TTRS, hopefully it will satisfy my expectations.
Old 02-02-2016, 09:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I used to own a Mk2 TT and my kids (5 & 7 at the time) just absolutely loved to be back there! All but the mandatory shoes off rule....haha!

I found the TT to be very practical for family live. Yes, you don't want to put an adult back there, but the kids will have fun. I'm looking at trading my 3 series for a Mk3 TT. Drove both TTS and TT and actually prefer the regular TT - in Sport mode. Very responsive and a huge step forward compared to the Mk2 - except for the exterior styling.
Old 02-02-2016, 09:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by alfalori71
I used to own a Mk2 TT and my kids (5 & 7 at the time) just absolutely loved to be back there! All but the mandatory shoes off rule....haha!

I found the TT to be very practical for family live. Yes, you don't want to put an adult back there, but the kids will have fun. I'm looking at trading my 3 series for a Mk3 TT. Drove both TTS and TT and actually prefer the regular TT - in Sport mode. Very responsive and a huge step forward compared to the Mk2 - except for the exterior styling.
I love the no shoes rule! Anyone driving this car in the winter (in snow)?
Old 02-02-2016, 10:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Anyone driving this car in the winter (in snow)?
You betcha. (Sorry, couldn't resist the midwesternism.) TTS with 245/35 R19 Continental DWS06, which seem adequate for Minnesota so far. The stock floor mats are doing ok, but will have to see what they look like in the spring.

- Chuck
Old 02-02-2016, 11:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by n828cl
You betcha. (Sorry, couldn't resist the midwesternism.) TTS with 245/35 R19 Continental DWS06, which seem adequate for Minnesota so far. The stock floor mats are doing ok, but will have to see what they look like in the spring.

- Chuck
Great, I had a friend say his neighbour had issues with his TT in the snow but from everything I've read and researched, it should be fine.

Just put on winter tires and you're good to go.

Quick Reply: Thinking of purchasing a new TTS