TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

Tts is no fun.

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2016, 03:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tts is no fun.

Hey guys,

I've had my 2017 tts for about 2 months now and was hoping you guys could guide me. Now, I'm 100% aware the TT line isn't meant to be a sports car in terms of the corvette or 911. That rawness/ pureness for performance. Also, I came from a 2013 mazda mx5 manual and have driven my brothers evo X a bunch.

Throttle response seems 100% worse unless I'm using launch control. If im at a light and accelerate without it I feel like the mx5 could beat it.

The awd system seems *****. Coming out of a 90 degree corner across an intersection, a big radius 90 degree not just a left hand turn, at 3/4 throttle I end up with massive lift off oversteer (controllable but still) there have been other times I questioned the awd system too. My second reason for going from the mazda to the tts was awd.

All this while in dynamic and sport. The awd issues were with awd in normal mode not launch mode.
Old 12-03-2016, 04:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

The MX5 has a rev happy naturally aspirated engine. One of the features of such an engine is a crisp throttle response. You won't get that from a turbo engine. This is a big reason why I myself don't like turbo engines, either.

The quattro system in the TT line is a Haldex system, which primarily drives the front wheels. The current system tries to involve the rear axle more, but the rear axle gets completely disengaged when you step on the brakes for example, otherwise the ABS would be ineffective. This system is more about utility than performance. Think of it as an FWD with a lot more grip. For a more dynamic AWD system you need to step up to the 4, 5, 6, 7 or 8 series, which have the true quattro with a center differential, or the R8, which while having a Haldex type system, it is reverse and primarily drives the rear wheels like the Porsche system in the 4S etc.
Old 12-03-2016, 05:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

I've had similar thoughts. At times I'm very impressed with the ease of power, barely a flex of the foot when already moving. Other times, from the halt and a normal launch, it does seem laggard. Now, as rapid as modern turbo spools have become it's still a law of physics thing.
Of course I/we didn't expect some of the engagement from an S-tronic vs. a true manual.
And it may be a case of being able to use pretty much 100% of the Miata (or in my case RX8) vs. rarely being able to use anything close in the TTS. Again, engagement.
However I always find the grip in the TTS sublime. It never ceases to amaze me, particularly in tight corners. I sometimes purposely don't brake and rather take 90's hard and it never wavers. This is my third Quattro and although the TTS isn't a "full" Quattro as it were again I still find that it excels in the grip department. And as I have a penchant for maneuverability over straight line performance it still has great appeal for me.

edit: I missed one point. The TTS really likes you to keep power on through a turn, which preludes liftoff oversteer to a great degree.

Last edited by Huey52; 12-03-2016 at 07:11 AM.
Old 12-03-2016, 02:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Interesting and timely thread because I recently started shopping for a replacement, but I think your "no fun" comment is a huge overstatement. IMO the TTS is a ton-o-fun. I can't fault the handling at all, and the comfort issue was solved when I had the rear shock mounts replaced. At this point I think the TTS is (almost) everything I've ever hoped for in a sports car.

About the only area where it is lacking is the visceral excitement that you get from instantaneous throttle response. When I see a small break in traffic I don't like having to remind myself that there is almost a three-count before much of anything happens.

So, my target is a car that is nearly as satisfying as the TTS in all other respects, but with better throttle response. I'll even settle for 0-60 times that are up to maybe 7 seconds.

For years I've read that the GTI is the best "hot hatch", so I drove one. The throttle response is about what I'm looking for, but it is loud and buzzy, and has the typical FWD skitter when you accelerate hard from a stop into traffic. I think AWD is back on the required equipment list.

When I got back into the TTS after the test drive, I was reminded that its quality, comfort, performance, and sophistication won out over cars like the the 370Z, 'Vette, Boxster and a Cayman S. It could take a while to find a replacement, and that might be a good thing.

Next I think I'll see if a Mini Cooper S Countryman All4 or Paceman All4 hits the sweet spot. Or maybe the TT has less turbo lag than the TTS? Any opinions on those cars?
The following users liked this post:
prohovie (05-04-2023)
Old 12-03-2016, 03:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

My daughter has a Mini Countryman S and I'm impressed every time I'm in it. Of course nowhere near the performance of a TTS but still quite good and it has that hallmark Mini "go cart" handling. Also remarkable people and cargo space for its overall dimensions. Give one a test drive.
Old 12-03-2016, 03:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Do you know anything about the All4 system? I can't find any specifics so far.
Old 12-03-2016, 06:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the important thing is to learn and exploit the car's capabilities (there are plenty in the TTS if you look for them), and that learning also includes minimizing its weaknesses. These stunt drivers seem to be having a lot of fun with a stock mk3 TT.

Last edited by f1point0; 12-03-2016 at 06:17 PM.
Old 12-03-2016, 07:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jeffc
Do you know anything about the All4 system? I can't find any specifics so far.
I bought my wife the Mini Countryman ALL4. She loves that car, and it is a very nice daily driver. I kind of wish I'd gotten the Cooperworks version, but for her it's plenty sporty. Since we've gotten it we've not really had any weather bad enough to really test the ALL4 (even though we're in PA, the winter here last year was not too snowy). This year should be a good test because it feels like it will be a snowy winter and her drive to work is now in the country so the roads won't be as plowed.

There is a sport mode, and it's quite peppy.

Be warned that the Mini's Connected Drive system is total crap and more like version 1 of iDrive. It's really bad. I hate it. The new Paceman (2017) model has a Carplay option and the Drive system is updated as well. The 2017 Paceman has an ALL4 option.
Old 12-03-2016, 07:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeffc
When I got back into the TTS after the test drive, I was reminded that its quality, comfort, performance, and sophistication won out over cars like the the 370Z, 'Vette, Boxster and a Cayman S. It could take a while to find a replacement, and that might be a good thing.

Next I think I'll see if a Mini Cooper S Countryman All4 or Paceman All4 hits the sweet spot. Or maybe the TT has less turbo lag than the TTS? Any opinions on those cars?
I traded a JCW Paceman (All4) for my TTS. I had two other Mini S Clubman's prior and here's my two bits for what it's worth:

I'm biased to the design of the Paceman but I typically gravitate to coupes and/or hatches. The Paceman is slightly lower to the ground than the Countryman and I did notice the difference on the test drive when I was shopping for Mini #3 (ie. body roll). The JCW gave the Paceman a bit of extra oomph in throttle response for sure because the Countryman and Paceman's are definitely heavier than their little Cooper/Clubman cousins so they don't have the same nimble go-cart feel (but it's still very sporty and peppy). Mine was a 6 speed standard shift as well so that certainly helps give you that power-on-demand feel. The JCW also had a sportier suspension and 19" wheels so it was definitely a hot hatch and garnered a ton of appreciation from strangers (oddly, even more than the TTS). However, resale is really bad on the Paceman. In fact, my Paceman was traded at the end of May with 10K worth of warranty to spare and it's still on Autotrader today and has had huge discounts since it left the Audi dealer and went to a wholesaler. A JCW Cooper hatch is probably the MOST fun you could possibly have in any car (imho) but your paragraph at the top hit the nail on the head with the TTS (sophistication, etc). I'm loving it! Ideally, I would have both cars in my garage. The Mini community is absolutely fantastic. Lots of Mini sponsored activities/road trips and local active clubs. But I do thoroughly enjoy what feels like a big step up in luxury in my TTS. And when I pick my next ride, I just don't know how I'm ever going to settle for a car without that virtual cockpit behind my steering wheel!
Old 12-04-2016, 04:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
The quattro system in the TT line is a Haldex system, which primarily drives the front wheels. The current system tries to involve the rear axle more, but the rear axle gets completely disengaged when you step on the brakes for example, otherwise the ABS would be ineffective. This system is more about utility than performance. Think of it as an FWD with a lot more grip. For a more dynamic AWD system you need to step up to the 4, 5, 6, 7 or 8 series, which have the true quattro with a center differential, or the R8, which while having a Haldex type system, it is reverse and primarily drives the rear wheels like the Porsche system in the 4S etc.
I don't recall seeing this discussed anywhere, but is the Haldex system in the TT RS set up like the R8's to favor RWD dynamics?