TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

TTS winter wheel/tire recommendation?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2015, 10:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeffc
Problem is that the tires I want, Pirelli P Zero AS Plus, would have to be 255/35R19.
I've been looking at those Pirellis as well as Conti DWS 06 (which do come in the original size). Haven't been able to find any tests where either has been used in actual snow yet, but both are supposed to be much improved compared to the previous versions. Is there a particular reason you chose Pirelli over Continental?
Old 11-14-2015, 12:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I was going to go for the A/S Pirellis, but now I'm headed for winter tires. At the time, I called and chatted with Tire Rack and read all of the reviews. The Pirellis got a very strong overall recommendation from TR staff. Pirellis also got a very good review and Conti not as good here: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=201 . My past experience with Pirellis has been very good.

Last edited by Jeffc; 11-15-2015 at 06:12 AM.
Old 11-24-2015, 12:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Jeffc
I was going to go for the A/S Pirellis, but now I'm headed for winter tires. At the time, I called and chatted with Tire Rack and read all of the reviews. The Pirellis got a very strong overall recommendation from TR staff. Pirellis also got a very good review and Conti not as good here: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=201 . My past experience with Pirellis has been very good.
I've read the same reviews and tests, but didn't see much of a difference (Pirelli slightly better in the dry). Unfortunately, they still don't have any actual cold weather data.

Just got off the phone with Lance at TireRack, and he recommended the DWS 06 over the P Zero A/S Plus... I guess it all depends on whom one talks to.
Old 11-27-2015, 07:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for all the tips; I ended up just going with the Audi package, to be on the safe side.

If you don't already have one, check which bolt cap remover came with the car. Mine was the little metal ring with a hook, though there was clearly an empty space for the plastic clip version haha -.-

Rather not be scraping around in there with something metal...
Attached Images  
Old 11-27-2015, 09:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

They look really good, drive safe!
Old 11-28-2015, 03:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

The wheels look very nice and Audi-assured.

I have a leftover Audi locking lug set which has a tool for removing the individual lug caps. The onboard ring-hook tool I also got is for the integral hub/lug cap which I don't even have (but did on A5 and allroad). Strange that Audi wouldn't include the proper tool.

Originally Posted by derekr
Thanks for all the tips; I ended up just going with the Audi package, to be on the safe side.

If you don't already have one, check which bolt cap remover came with the car. Mine was the little metal ring with a hook, though there was clearly an empty space for the plastic clip version haha -.-

Rather not be scraping around in there with something metal...
Old 11-28-2015, 03:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by derekr
Wait, what does that look like? And where is this empty space?
Old 11-29-2015, 10:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by visuar
Wait, what does that look like? And where is this empty space?
It was my cynical assumption at the time, since the empty space looks like the proper shape for the plastic tool, but I could be wrong. I'd be curious to know what actually goes there, or if it's only intended for a different model vehicle.

The wire-shaped tool the car came with is made for bolt caps that have a hole in the center (mine do not) or, like Huey said, the star-shaped combined-center-and-bolt caps. You CAN reach behind the caps with it and pry them off if needed, but you're probably going to scrape the wheel a little, unless you were really good at "Operation"
Attached Images   
Old 11-30-2015, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks, I'll have to take a look and see what I got in the car.
Old 11-30-2015, 04:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Folks, has anyone here already installed non Audi 18" winter rims? If so, could you please let me know what offset was on the rims, and if you had any installation issues?

I like the Audi rims but the price is steep.....TireRack won't commit to rims yet, not yet measured.

Quick Reply: TTS winter wheel/tire recommendation?