TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

TTS winter wheel/tire recommendation?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2015, 10:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TTS winter wheel/tire recommendation?

I'm not too knowledgeable about these things, and it seems like there are lots of factors to consider fit-wise. I managed alright in southern NY with all-seasons on a FWD A3, but it wasn't particularly confidence-inspiring.

Does anyone have any recommendation for winter wheels and tires on a 2016 TTS? The dealer directed me to TireRack, and they have a couple 19" performance snow tires available for the stock wheels, but they haven't measured the car yet, so I'm lost on what to get for a separate set.

Would it be worth it to just ask the dealer for an Audi winter package, or is it overpriced?

Appreciate any input!
Old 10-23-2015, 12:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 250 Likes on 212 Posts
Default Not enough information

Originally Posted by derekr
I'm not too knowledgeable about these things, and it seems like there are lots of factors to consider fit-wise. I managed alright in southern NY with all-seasons on a FWD A3, but it wasn't particularly confidence-inspiring.

Does anyone have any recommendation for winter wheels and tires on a 2016 TTS? The dealer directed me to TireRack, and they have a couple 19" performance snow tires available for the stock wheels, but they haven't measured the car yet, so I'm lost on what to get for a separate set.

Would it be worth it to just ask the dealer for an Audi winter package, or is it overpriced?

Appreciate any input!
Are you just replacing tires or buying 4 rim & tire combos for just winter? By definition, anything you buy at Audi can be bought cheaper elsewhere but if you want true OEM rims, Audi is your only option. Winter equipment options have been discussed often on other forums. Most folks recommend, as do I, that if you are getting rims & tires then get small and cheap aftermarket rims and run a narrower tire than your summer set. For example, if you are presently running 19", go to 18" (or even 17" if they will clear the brakes). This allows you to get a higher profile and narrower tire. The higher profile protects the suspension against winter pot holes and the narrower tire will not tend to "ski" as much over the snow and puts more pounds per square inch on tire contact patch. (I've not seen discussed if this same logic hoklds for ice.) If you eschew (gesundheit!) true winter tires and opt for all season, get an all season that does well in snow if you are in a snowy area. One example is the ContiExtreme DWS. Some all season tires are not much better than summer tires in snow. Most all season tires do poorly on ice as compared to true winter tires.
Old 10-23-2015, 01:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks Vegas

I would like to get 4 rim & tire combos for winter. They will be used in snow, which is usually plowed well, but I live on a hill, and I'd like to be confident about climbing it, so I don't want to compromise with all-seasons anymore. I don't mind sizing down for winter, I guess I just wish I had the knowledge to pick what is compatible with this specific car.

My understanding so far is:

18" hub-centric wheel with a 5-bolt 112mm pattern. But how would I know if they will clear the brakes as you mentioned? That's the kind of thing a newb like me wouldn't even know to consider.

And then any winter tire of the same diameter and within the rim width range and proper weight rating?
Old 10-23-2015, 03:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

This thread will help you learn a little about the subject:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/tt-...t-mk3-2883665/

Audi Canada puts together Winter Wheel and Tire Packages, but they are fairly pricey.
Audi - Winterwheels

I bought Hartmann Wheels from Achtuning for my A5:
http://achtuning.com/

Tire Rack shipped my Blizzaks to Achtuning, who mounted and balanced and shipped the package to me.
All went flawlessly.

Edit: Achtuning now has fitments for the Mk3 TT on their website.

Last edited by Can_Quattro; 05-30-2016 at 09:54 AM.
Old 10-23-2015, 05:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the links! I'll keep reading up
Old 10-23-2015, 10:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by derekr
18" hub-centric wheel with a 5-bolt 112mm pattern. But how would I know if they will clear the brakes as you mentioned?

And then any winter tire of the same diameter and within the rim width range and proper weight rating?
18" is not a problem on either the TT or TTS. 17" will definitely fit the TT, but not sure about the TTS (larger rotors and calipers), although the audi.de web site appears to show them as a winter option.

There are several tire size calculator web sites out there to insure one uses a near equivalent diameter tire and, of course, Tire Rack provides the details:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...e.jsp?techid=7
Old 10-24-2015, 03:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 113 Likes on 87 Posts

The 18" setup from the previous TTRS should fit the TTS no problem. Not sure about the 17s. I figure this page will be updates shortly with fitments for the TT3 soon.

Audi Parts - Audi Genuine Parts & Accessories eStore
Old 10-24-2015, 04:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Those are some really "tucked in" positive offsets for the Mk2, but then OEM is always very conservative.

Just a couple weeks and I'll be able to test fit my existing [used on A5 and allroad] 18x8.5 34mm Rial DH rims (adding hub rings) with Michelin Pilot Alpin 245x40 snow tires. Should be fine.

Originally Posted by adg44
The 18" setup from the previous TTRS should fit the TTS no problem. Not sure about the 17s. I figure this page will be updates shortly with fitments for the TT3 soon.

Audi Parts - Audi Genuine Parts & Accessories eStore
Old 10-24-2015, 06:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 113 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Huey52
Those are some really "tucked in" positive offsets for the Mk2, but then OEM is always very conservative.

Just a couple weeks and I'll be able to test fit my existing [used on A5 and allroad] 18x8.5 34mm Rial DH rims (adding hub rings) with Michelin Pilot Alpin 245x40 snow tires. Should be fine.
Those cars have flared fenders which is why they have a different offset. They may work but they are not correct. There is obviously a reason why these offsets were chosen for the TT; I wouldn't go changing it.
Old 10-24-2015, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Ordinarily I would agree and stay with the OEM offset. Typically the design rationale is to ensure no fender rubbing and also minimize the road splash onto same. I just happen to have these Winter rims/tires so a test fit won't hurt. Be reminded that many enthusiasts go with wheel spacers and lower positive offsets to achieve a wider track look, so ....

"If you ain't rubbin' you ain't racin'." [poor context, but it just came to me]

Originally Posted by adg44
Those cars have flared fenders which is why they have a different offset. They may work but they are not correct. There is obviously a reason why these offsets were chosen for the TT; I wouldn't go changing it.

Quick Reply: TTS winter wheel/tire recommendation?