TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

TTS winter wheel/tire recommendation?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2015, 10:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Huey52
Ordinarily I would agree and stay with the OEM offset. Typically the design rationale is to ensure no fender rubbing and also minimize the road splash onto same.
The designed offset is not only for clearance but also for correct suspension geometry. Changing the offset significantly can cause the handling to get a bit odd and may increase stress and wear of suspension components (e.g., ball joints - never an Audi strong point).
Old 10-24-2015, 11:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Again, I agree. My winter offset isn't that drastic.

Originally Posted by n828cl
The designed offset is not only for clearance but also for correct suspension geometry. Changing the offset significantly can cause the handling to get a bit odd and may increase stress and wear of suspension components (e.g., ball joints - never an Audi strong point).
Old 10-24-2015, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 113 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Huey52
Ordinarily I would agree and stay with the OEM offset. Typically the design rationale is to ensure no fender rubbing and also minimize the road splash onto same. I just happen to have these Winter rims/tires so a test fit won't hurt. Be reminded that many enthusiasts go with wheel spacers and lower positive offsets to achieve a wider track look, so ....

"If you ain't rubbin' you ain't racin'." [poor context, but it just came to me]
You said the right word... "Look"

But just remember the quattro and ESC is tuned to the correct wheel setup. Worth a try to see if your existing wheels (with centering rings) fit, however.
Old 10-24-2015, 03:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Some U.S. Dealers offering official Winter packages:
Audi Westwood | New Audi dealership in Westwood, MA 02090
Attached Images  
Old 10-24-2015, 07:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Good find! I had matched up a combo of 19"ers on TireRack that I think would've worked, but 18" is probably ideal, considering how rough the roads get after plowing.
Old 10-29-2015, 10:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Check the 18" BBS SR rims, I have them on my M235 right now and they should fit the TT. Awesome wheel, very tough and excellent quality, low price as well.
Old 11-12-2015, 12:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

My TTS is supposed to arrive at the end of the month, just in time for snow here in the Midwest. After reading this thread and other sources, I'm going to buy some AS tires, put them on the stock rims and store the summer tires in the attic for the duration. I did the same with my S4 after the first couple of winters, and I don't miss the summer tires at all. Problem is that the tires I want, Pirelli P Zero AS Plus, would have to be 255/35R19. Speedo wouldn't be off by more than 1 mph. Wheel well would look a little more filled. Those who have already taken delivery, does it look like there would be any interference problems?
Old 11-12-2015, 01:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Jeffc
My TTS is supposed to arrive at the end of the month, just in time for snow here in the Midwest. After reading this thread and other sources, I'm going to buy some AS tires, put them on the stock rims and store the summer tires in the attic for the duration. I did the same with my S4 after the first couple of winters, and I don't miss the summer tires at all. Problem is that the tires I want, Pirelli P Zero AS Plus, would have to be 255/35R19. Speedo wouldn't be off by more than 1 mph. Wheel well would look a little more filled. Those who have already taken delivery, does it look like there would be any interference problems?
It should work fine. The 20" optional tire is a 255/30-20 with the exact same diameter and width. Wheel offsets are close enough that there won't be a problem.
Old 11-13-2015, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I took another look at the PZero Nero A/S tires on my S4. I have 15000 miles on them. There is about 6 or 7/32 tread remaining, but siping is significantly diminished. They'd probably last another year (25000 miles), but at this point I don't think they'll have much traction in the snow. If I kept the car I'd need tires, now.

If an A/S tire's winter capability is gone at 2/3 of the way into the life of the tire, I'm thinking that it makes sense to go with a winter tire. That would extend the useful life of the A/S tires and/or permit the use of a summer only tire during the warmer weather.

I think I just talked myself into a winter wheel/tire combo for the TTS. Hello Tire Rack.
Old 11-13-2015, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Good decision!
Originally Posted by Jeffc
I took another look at the PZero Nero A/S tires on my S4. I have 15000 miles on them. There is about 6 or 7/32 tread remaining, but siping is significantly diminished. They'd probably last another year (25000 miles), but at this point I don't think they'll have much traction in the snow. If I kept the car I'd need tires, now.

If an A/S tire's winter capability is gone at 2/3 of the way into the life of the tire, I'm thinking that it makes sense to go with a winter tire. That would extend the useful life of the A/S tires and/or permit the use of a summer only tire during the warmer weather.

I think I just talked myself into a winter wheel/tire combo for the TTS. Hello Tire Rack.

Quick Reply: TTS winter wheel/tire recommendation?