TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

USB ports

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2017, 04:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default USB ports

While I obsessively try to learn every last detail about my car before it arrives, I was looking into dash cams. Can anyone with a roadster mark 3 please tell me about the USB and cigarette lighter outlets? I know there is at least one USB in the front bin which is used for the carplay and mmi connection but are there any other USB slots available in there? And where is the cigarette lighter located? Is there any free space around these areas?

TIA.
Old 01-21-2017, 05:12 AM
isb
AudiWorld Member

2 usb ports in the front compartment ahead of the shifter which looks like it would be an ashtray, but isn't. Space for a phone in there. Cigarette lighter port is the bin under the center arm rest. I think that if you get the 'smoking' kit, there's a lighter in the port and a removable ashtray that sits in the cupholder (mine came with neither).
Old 01-21-2017, 05:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thank you.

Can an iPhone 7 plus fit in that front compartment? Has anyone fit a supersized phone (6" screen) in that compartment?
Old 01-21-2017, 09:07 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, it should fit. I have a Galaxy Note 4 w/ case and it fits easily.
Old 01-21-2017, 12:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a dash cam. I plug it into the lighter socket under the armrest. I didn't dismantle anything to install it. I basically pressed the wire in the gap around the right vent (3rd one of the 3 in the centre), down and along the underside of the centre console (again, pressed in the gap) on the passenger side. I managed to tuck it in quite neatly so it's out of sight and it pretty much stays there. The only unsightly wire is the one hanging from the camera to the vent. I'm not really interested in having it permanently wired through the dash or anything so I'm happy with this solution. There is also a lighter socket in the back hatch so when I took it to the track (first time on a track), I also had a dash cam mounted on the back window and pointed forward to get the "cockpit" view. LOL... fun stuff that day!

I would like to have the 2nd one on the back window rear facing but it won't stay in the winter because of the defrost wires (even if you don't use the defrost, the surface isn't flat so I can't get it to stay in the cold). Plus when you lift the hatch, you've got that wire to contend with so that's been shelved. Although, as much as I feel the dash cams make me feel safer, I do wonder if having a rear facing camera might actually be a distraction for someone behind me since it's in their face. They might potentially rear end me because of it!

As for that front compartment, it's quite big and would fit any phone. The cup holder...not so much!
Old 01-21-2017, 12:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks folks.

I know the cupholder is on the smaller side, and there is only one readily accessible, with the second hidden away in the center console. Question - are you able to use that cupholder in the center when you have stuff plugged into the ciggie?
Old 01-21-2017, 01:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, the bracket in that back centre console flips back to become the cupholder and the cig outlet is at the front of it so you can use both. It's really tough to reach as the driver though so I've rarely used it. It's nice to offer it to your guest in the passenger seat. I store leather gloves in there for winter.
Old 01-21-2017, 05:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Awesome. Thanks!
Old 01-24-2017, 09:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by grey67
Thank you.

Can an iPhone 7 plus fit in that front compartment? Has anyone fit a supersized phone (6" screen) in that compartment?
i have the Nexus 6p which is 6.3 by 3.05 inch, slightly larger with a Speck case. The front compartment is fairly deep, and my phone fits inside at an angle, but not flat. I use a short USB cable in the front compartment and a 15w Quick charger in the 12v plug in the armrest for when I forget to charge the phone overnight and want to get a full charge on my 20 minute commute.
Old 01-25-2017, 04:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by cr8nA4
i have the Nexus 6p which is 6.3 by 3.05 inch, slightly larger with a Speck case. The front compartment is fairly deep, and my phone fits inside at an angle, but not flat. I use a short USB cable in the front compartment and a 15w Quick charger in the 12v plug in the armrest for when I forget to charge the phone overnight and want to get a full charge on my 20 minute commute.
does the USB port connection to the MMI also recharge the phone? I had assumed yes, but wanted to check.

Quick Reply: USB ports