TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

Vinyl Wrapping

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 04:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bknewtype
100% dont mixed it up! Stay uniform for sure

as an alternative if you want matte maybe you should look into vinyl wrapping if protection isnt ur main priority. Vinyl wrap should be much cheaper. If u go the vinyl wrap route be prepared to be faced with a super tough choice : which color do u want to pick out of the 500 colors possible!!?!?
I was looking at vinyl wrap initially, but then found out it doesn't protect the paint (thanks to you!). Paint protection is primary reason to do this, followed by matte finish. I was planning initially on a matte blue vinyl wrap anyways, so it's not like I was going to change the color radically. But the matte wrap paint protection gets me the best of both worlds :-)
Old 01-13-2017, 04:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by grey67
I was looking at vinyl wrap initially, but then found out it doesn't protect the paint (thanks to you!). Paint protection is primary reason to do this, followed by matte finish. I was planning initially on a matte blue vinyl wrap anyways, so it's not like I was going to change the color radically. But the matte wrap paint protection gets me the best of both worlds :-)
gotcha. For sure. When my r8 was vinyl wrapped i dropped a piece of wood on the corner of the hood and it ripped the vinyl 400$ fix right there. It did protect the paint but vinyl does not self heal and is very weak
Old 01-16-2017, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Xpel and Suntek provide protection but you can still get chips. I got the Xpel Ultimate from the side mirrors down to the front of the car. The way I look at is "it's piece of mind". I've noticed some areas where the film has been chipped and it hasn't healed properly but I can only imagine how it would be if there was no protection at all. Considering how expensive it is, you need to know how much you like the colour of your car. You might be better off just repainting after a few years and have something different.
Old 01-16-2017, 01:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Nas Toronto
The Xpel and Suntek provide protection but you can still get chips. I got the Xpel Ultimate from the side mirrors down to the front of the car. The way I look at is "it's piece of mind". I've noticed some areas where the film has been chipped and it hasn't healed properly but I can only imagine how it would be if there was no protection at all. Considering how expensive it is, you need to know how much you like the colour of your car. You might be better off just repainting after a few years and have something different.
while that is true, u gotta consider that repaints usually devalues the car, not to mention body shop paints arent always as strong as oem paint. Iv had my car repainted many times , and professional quality. But they chipped way easier than original paint, and when trading in i took a huge hit because it was repainted
Old 01-17-2017, 04:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats a great point (avoid the re-paint, unless you plan on keeping it for a long time)
Old 01-17-2017, 07:52 AM
Former Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Bknewtype
gotcha. For sure. When my r8 was vinyl wrapped i dropped a piece of wood on the corner of the hood and it ripped the vinyl 400$ fix right there. It did protect the paint but vinyl does not self heal and is very weak
That's correct. For the most part, vinyl is not self healing. I usually say, it takes a hard sharp hit to typically cause vinyl to tear, but usually a hit that hard would actually have caused damage to the paint as well.
Old 01-29-2017, 09:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by grey67
I emailed a local installer who gave me a ballpark of 4500 to fully wrap with matte film. So I wasn't too far off. It'll take 4-5 days to do the work, which makes me sad since I'll basically pick up the car, drive it to the wrapper, and then lose it for 5 days. But the matte wrap will make me very happy. :-)
You're lucky it is 4-5 days. My Q7 is getting a full Matte PPF wrap upon delivery and it will likely be 10-12 days.