TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

Will miss the TT - saying goodbye

Old 06-22-2016, 11:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Will miss the TT - saying goodbye

After only a short 10 months of ownership, we are saying goodbye to our TT. Moving from DFW area to New Orleans, and living in the middle of the city, the street conditions just aren't conducive to a low riding, tightly sprung car with very low profile tires. Too many potholes and poor street surfaces, those of you that have ever spent time down in the Uptown New Orleans area I am sure you know what I am talking about.

Its the wife's car, and her 2nd TT - so she will miss it the most. We toyed around with maybe swapping out our 19's to 18's and going softer sidewall for a more bearable ride, but I think the easiest thing to do is just go with a better car for the area. Luckily, these things have a strong residual and we paid under invoice originally so its not going to be too bad of a hit.

We already have a nice SUV for the longer trips, so as strange as this may sound we are considering a Wrangler 4 door as a replacement since its a park and drive anywhere car. We looked at the Q3 and while I like it, just felt with the older 200 HP 2.0 and older platform, it was nothing more than a kitted out tiguan, so really wasn't worth the money in my opinion. When Audi makes the switch on the Q3 to the new MQB platform and a better 2.0 I think it will be a player in the segment.

So for now, I am struggling with making the TT to wrangler jump. There are a few positives on the wranglers; they have insane residuals/resale (73% on a 3 year 36k lease!) and they are actually kinda fun to drive and aren't as loud as I remember them.

Will miss the boards and of course the car!
Attached Images  
Old 06-23-2016, 03:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

A very sad commentary indeed on our crumbling infrastructure.

All the best with your Jeep (I've had and appreciated many).
Old 06-23-2016, 04:27 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife loves her 2008 TT so much, I believe she wants to keep it until it becomes an appreciating asset. When will that be-- another 20 years? Her commutes are short (it only has 30K well-maintained miles on it), so I think she has a chance. She just darts around the notorious potholes when in Houston; now that we're up here in The Woodlands, potholes are no longer an issue. People still compliment her on her TT's appearance and ask her about it. It's a very spritely, fun car to drive.
Old 06-23-2016, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by josh Prieur
After only a short 10 months of ownership, we are saying goodbye to our TT. Moving from DFW area to New Orleans, and living in the middle of the city, the street conditions just aren't conducive to a low riding, tightly sprung car with very low profile tires. Too many potholes and poor street surfaces, those of you that have ever spent time down in the Uptown New Orleans area I am sure you know what I am talking about.

Its the wife's car, and her 2nd TT - so she will miss it the most. We toyed around with maybe swapping out our 19's to 18's and going softer sidewall for a more bearable ride, but I think the easiest thing to do is just go with a better car for the area. Luckily, these things have a strong residual and we paid under invoice originally so its not going to be too bad of a hit.

We already have a nice SUV for the longer trips, so as strange as this may sound we are considering a Wrangler 4 door as a replacement since its a park and drive anywhere car. We looked at the Q3 and while I like it, just felt with the older 200 HP 2.0 and older platform, it was nothing more than a kitted out tiguan, so really wasn't worth the money in my opinion. When Audi makes the switch on the Q3 to the new MQB platform and a better 2.0 I think it will be a player in the segment.

So for now, I am struggling with making the TT to wrangler jump. There are a few positives on the wranglers; they have insane residuals/resale (73% on a 3 year 36k lease!) and they are actually kinda fun to drive and aren't as loud as I remember them.

Will miss the boards and of course the car!
Have you considered a MINI? The Countryman or Paceman provide a nice ride (and AWD) and there is a very extensive car community that goes with owning a MINI. Google the event "Mini Takes the States" or on FB, "League of Extraordinary Miniacs". I had 3 Mini's prior to buying a TTS. I'm not sure about the states but in Canada, the Paceman (which is a two door coupe version of the countryman) was not as popular so you can find some absolutely amazing deals on them. I had one and got a ton of compliments on that car. If you consider, look at an S but avoid sports suspension or again, you won't like the ride. Best of luck.
Old 06-23-2016, 01:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

My daughter has a Mini Countryman S and I am more and more impressed with it every time I get in. Great handling and unexpected volume.
Old 06-23-2016, 02:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Almost same price point as the TT is the Porsche Macan....GREAT crossover. my wife has the larger Cayenne, but we were on the fence.
Old 06-24-2016, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jericweldon
My wife loves her 2008 TT so much, I believe she wants to keep it until it becomes an appreciating asset. When will that be-- another 20 years? Her commutes are short (it only has 30K well-maintained miles on it), so I think she has a chance. She just darts around the notorious potholes when in Houston; now that we're up here in The Woodlands, potholes are no longer an issue. People still compliment her on her TT's appearance and ask her about it. It's a very spritely, fun car to drive.
our previous was a 2011, and I prefer that body style. We had a volcano red roadster and my wife loved it as well!

I think the MK3 has a much more impressive look to it, gives it the 'this is a special car' appearance. But I think the lines/curves of the MK2 are classic and will age better.
Old 06-24-2016, 06:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Def some good suggestions, I never really gave the mini much thought - I always thought they rode a bit hard/brittle and were always more geared towards handling, but then again have never given the countryman a test drive. Might give that some thought as well, I know the mini has a pretty good community as well.

The wrangler def continues to impress me the more and more I spend time with it, one dealer let me have one for the afternoon and I found it very livable, and reasonably comfortable and quiet, so long as you keep it under 80 on the interstate!

On the positive front, TTs are holding their value pretty well. Was getting a little worried there as I am starting to see them pile up on dealer lots - most dealers around me are now sitting on 7 or so, which based on how they are selling them is well over a 90 day supply. From what my long term sales guy is telling me, they just aren't selling that well.