TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

Winter Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2016, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Winter setup Test Fit: Hartmann HRS6-204-MA Wheels with 18" MICHELIN X-ICE XI3 Tires

Winter setup Test Fit: Hartmann HRS6-204-MA Wheels with 18" MICHELIN X-ICE XI3 Tires

Old 09-25-2016, 04:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wondering how much offset different is too much? OEM is 52mm on my 20' wheel and I see lot of people going for 45mm or even smaller offsets, thus the question
Old 09-26-2016, 02:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

35mm seems to be the reasonable limit (what I run in Winter due to A5 hand-me-down). Best to stay closer to OEM for as-designed geometry.
Spoke clearance of brake calipers, especially larger fronts, is the most critical element however. Some aftermarket rims require spacers for same.
Note that a smaller positive offset number equals rims more pushed out toward the outer fender. So non-rubbing clearance is also critical.

Note that TireRack offers an 18" BBS rim at 35mm. Again, closer to OEM is a better as-designed geometry choice, but they have approved same. BBS SX Bright Silver Paint
Attached Images  

Last edited by Huey52; 10-03-2016 at 02:56 AM.
Old 09-26-2016, 07:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Huey52
35mm seems to be the reasonable limit (what I run in Winter due to A5 hand-me-down). Best to stay closer to OEM for as-designed geometry.
Spoke clearance of brake calipers, especially larger fronts, is the most critical element however. Some aftermarket rims require spacers for same.
Note that a smaller positive offset number equals rims more pushed out toward the outer fender. So non-rubbing clearance is also critical.
You are running A5 wheels on your TT. Would my 18 inch OEM S4 wheels work on my TT? Sounds like they would. Thoughts?
Old 09-26-2016, 08:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

thanks for the explanation. how do you know if a wheel will clear our front calipers, other than go to a shop and try?
Old 09-26-2016, 12:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I'm actually running aftermarket Rial DH 18" rims from my A5 (and allroad; used Winter only). I added plastic concentric rings for the TT's smaller hubs, just on the off chance there might be some vibration but the lug pattern is of course the same. Since my Rials were at that time built to Audi spec's in Germany using the same process I would think your OEM S4 rims would work great.

There is actually more spoke-front caliper clearance with my Rials than my OEM 19" blade style rims. The Rials are just about flush with the outer fenders and no rubbing issues.

Given Michelin Alpin snow tires and 18" rims my Winter ride is a bit more comfortable.

Originally Posted by pm203
You are running A5 wheels on your TT. Would my 18 inch OEM S4 wheels work on my TT? Sounds like they would. Thoughts?
Old 09-26-2016, 12:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Best to go to the shop and try to be sure. In my case they were already on hand so easy to do myself.

Originally Posted by jerryhze
thanks for the explanation. how do you know if a wheel will clear our front calipers, other than go to a shop and try?
Old 09-26-2016, 12:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'm actually running aftermarket Rial DH 18" rims from my A5 (and allroad; used Winter only). I added plastic concentric rings for the TT's smaller hubs, just on the off chance there might be some vibration but the lug pattern is of course the same. Since my Rials were at that time built to Audi spec's in Germany using the same process I would think your OEM S4 rims would work great.

There is actually more spoke-front caliper clearance with my Rials than my OEM 19" blade style rims. The Rials are just about flush with the outer fenders and no rubbing issues.

Given Michelin Alpin snow tires and 18" rims my Winter ride is a bit more comfortable.
Thanks for the info!
Old 09-28-2016, 02:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

btw: Hubcentric rings I used due to differing A5/allroad -> TT hub size (66.56mm to 57.1mm).

Not absolutely mechanically necessary but anti-vibration peace of mind.

https://www.ecstuning.com/ES2185353/
Old 09-28-2016, 02:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

I picked up aluminium hub rings from amazon.
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They shipped from china of course. They look good though. Haven't tried them on yet though. I'll be trying them in winter.

I did read if you use metal ones you should put some "never seize" on the ID and shaft so they come off the car easy at the end of the season.

Quick Reply: Winter Wheels