TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

wiper blades skipping pretty bad..

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2015, 06:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wiper blades skipping pretty bad..

ive had my new TT a little less than a week now. today i drove around in the rain for the first time, and the wiper blades skipped pretty badly. both directions, but especially on the way back down.

anyone else experience this? any tips?
Old 11-01-2015, 08:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mlj1975lsu
ive had my new TT a little less than a week now. today i drove around in the rain for the first time, and the wiper blades skipped pretty badly. both directions, but especially on the way back down.

No such problems on my TTS in rain (and light snow) on autobahn and autostrada. I don't think we hit any wet stuff while at low speed in towns though.
Old 11-02-2015, 02:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Brake pads and wiper blades and many other new car components need to wear in a bit for best operation.

Make sure the blades are very clean (white vinegar is good) and then apply a softening/conditioning product such as Gummi Pflege Stift.

Amazon.com: einszett 914806 'Gummi Pflege Stift' Rubber Care Stick - 3.4 fl. oz: Automotive Amazon.com: einszett 914806 'Gummi Pflege Stift' Rubber Care Stick - 3.4 fl. oz: Automotive

Old 11-02-2015, 05:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

My experience is it's related to something coating your windshield, not the wipers. Are you using RainX for your washers? I used that about 10 years ago and it made my A4 wipers skip like crazy.....and it was really hard to remove from the window, had to really work the elbow grease.....have never bought it since though I've read that others apply it directly to the windshield and love it.
Old 11-02-2015, 05:43 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Yes!! Rained for the first time here in the Bay area and the blades were skipping like mad. Hope it goes away
Old 11-02-2015, 08:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by i3adSaab
My experience is it's related to something coating your windshield, not the wipers. Are you using RainX for your washers? I used that about 10 years ago and it made my A4 wipers skip like crazy.....and it was really hard to remove from the window, had to really work the elbow grease.....have never bought it since though I've read that others apply it directly to the windshield and love it.
ok yea this could be it. i did put rainX on. bummer... i love having rain bead up and roll right off. the only reason i was using the windshield wipers wasnt for rain but rather the spray on the wet highway from cars in front of me.

i guess ill try to take it off or at least not replace it as it wears off over the months.
Old 11-03-2015, 02:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

ok yea this could be it. i did put rainX on. bummer... i love having rain bead up and roll right off. the only reason i was using the windshield wipers wasnt for rain but rather the spray on the wet highway from cars in front of me.

i guess ill try to take it off or at least not replace it as it wears off over the months.
oh sorry, bummer.....I know I've read on forums over the years how much people like RainX, and I could never understand it. It screwed up my wipers so badly they were actually not usable at all, they skipped all across the window with a loud popping noise, it was crazy. I was swearing so badly at that crap.....got it off the window after using tons of Windex or something like that I recall, and it was totally perfect again.
Old 11-03-2015, 03:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I no longer use RainX for similar reason. But then the glass is supposedly hydrophobic anyway.
Old 11-03-2015, 04:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Huey52
I no longer use RainX for similar reason. But then the glass is supposedly hydrophobic anyway.
Hi Huey52, you show week 41 build date, did you have any issues figuring out which ship your TTS was on? I got the letter 2 weeks ago that mine was on it's way to Emden, but the dealer hasn't been able to figure out the ship. Were you able to get that info from your dealer?
Old 11-03-2015, 08:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I didn't have much trouble figuring out the name of the ship, as I knew when the car was loaded and the destination port. I deduced it myself based on the schedule.

But what I didn't know is that the ship sat in Emden for a week for no apparent reason!!

Originally Posted by i3adSaab
Hi Huey52, you show week 41 build date, did you have any issues figuring out which ship your TTS was on? I got the letter 2 weeks ago that mine was on it's way to Emden, but the dealer hasn't been able to figure out the ship. Were you able to get that info from your dealer?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Schedule.pdf (48.2 KB, 134 views)

Quick Reply: wiper blades skipping pretty bad..