VAG-COM Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Central Electrics coding (DRL issue)

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2015, 03:34 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Central Electrics coding (DRL issue)

Originally posted with less detail in B8 forum but think that this is probably a better place. Apologies if not.
__________________________________________________ _____
I've got an 08 B8 with xenon lights and the curvy led strip.
The LED's work fine when used as side lights (parking lights?) and also when running with the headlights. I have turned the brightness up as it was only set to 8%.

Problem is I can't seem to activate them or anything else to run as DRL.

I have been in to check bit 4 in byte 2 of Central Electrics, and also activated the "DRL selectable with mmi" option.
I get nothing in the Car menu other than the usual exterior lighting options (coming home duration etc) and no DRL working.
To test it I tried all the other options for DRL: tail lights, fogs, headlights etc, but nothing.
Is there anything I need to do to as an overarching DRL activation? It just seems that DRL as a concept is not there, but a scan of the module gives the same part number and software number as other BCM 1 units (as far as I can find the reference to them anywhere). Is there a specific fuse like my old Saab used to have?

Totally baffled, any help greatly appreciated.

PS the car was originally Japanese, so the interfacebox, radio and nav hardware now switched out for euro spec. MMI software version is 5570.

PPS, the extended interior lighting partially works after I activated it; the footwell lights stay on at a low level, and I can access the control for it via the MMI. No matter how far I turn it up though, nothing changes and if I go back in to the brightness screen it has reverted to minimum. This is probably the least annoying problem anyone has had with a car, but it might be related.

09 Central Electrics
---------------------------------------------------------------
System description: BCM1 1.0
Software number: 8K0907063D
Software version: 0253
Hardware number: 8K0907063D
Hardware version: H22
Long coding: 260010840030AF010000000300001D0D4F1D43080001010100 0000
Old 10-15-2015, 10:53 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 82 Likes on 56 Posts

There is more data that is useful in a full scan of the vehicle.
Old 10-16-2015, 11:51 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Mrclopec
There is more data that is useful in a full scan of the vehicle.
I don't have access to vcds, what data am i looking for, I can try to dig a little deeper?
The only fault codes I have are related to my nav unit being out of the car because it's duff.
Any help greatly appreciated.

Rob
Old 10-18-2015, 09:03 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Solved!
After a long session with a spreadsheet looking at the coding in binary against other codes, byte 3 was the culprit. Bit 4 is the DRL 'master switch'. For some reason it never turns up on the ubiquitous lists of helpful/cool coding.