VAG-COM Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I need to erase Adaptive Light Failure code to make error disappear?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2015, 08:02 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I need to erase Adaptive Light Failure code to make error disappear?

I recently brought my 2009 S5 in to the Audi dealer to get a diagnose on misfires I kept getting when car is cold. I left with the suggestion to change the injector valves which was quite expensive. At the same time they did a software update (which I didn't ask for but thought may be a good thing anyway). I held off to get injector valves changed ($4500!) and took off. 1 mile down the road the "Adaptive Headlight Failure" error light appeared on my dashboard.As it was the end of the day I went back the day after to show them the issue. I asked if it may have anything to do with the software update but they did not answer that. After diagnosing they told me that I need to replace the module on the driver side headlight which would cost $490. I thought it was odd that this failure came on right after the service/software update but what was I to do? The guy behind the desk felt bad for my troubles and suggested I'd get the module myself and replace it as it was an easy job to do. He gave me the details for the part and sure enough I found a brand new module for $100. Installing it was a piece of cake too but (of course!!) the error showed still when I restarted the car. My question is, is this a code that should have disappeared By itself after fixing the issue or is it a code that needs to be erased with a diagnostic tool by a mechanic? Any idea if the issue could have been related to software update? Any suggestion what I could do next if the error should have gone away indeed? I have a feeling I'm being messed around by a fu** up my dealer did. Any help greatly appreciated
Old 08-04-2015, 04:57 AM
Audiworld Premium Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Adaptive headlights require a "calibration" when a new module is installed. The travel of the headlight must be set using Basic Settings of the diagnostic tool for that module. The error must be cleared, the Basic Setting performed and then the message on the cluster should go away.

As to the software update doing this - it would all be speculation.

As to whether the control module had failed? Again, only speculation at this point. Maybe - maybe not.

If you are going to service your own ride, I think you need a factory level diagnostic tool. You should not shot gun fixes - that will cost you. And no matter, if you change parts, you will likely need the diagnostic tool to "calibrate" and clear fault codes.

These days, making repairs on these cars requires a diagnostic tool that can talk VAG!