VAG-COM Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEED TO SELL V6 4mo, have one nagging ABS fault! CAN YOU HELP PLEASE?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 01:29 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEED TO SELL V6 4mo, have one nagging ABS fault! CAN YOU HELP PLEASE?

Hi guys,

Shouldn't really be posting on this forum, but as you have similar abs/esp systems with the haldex systems, thought you maybe able to help please
------------------------------------------
Im getting ready to sell my car as I cant afford to run it anymore, sad times !!

Been sorting the fault codes that it threw up on a scan a couple of months ago, but one of those codes is now causing me a big headache, still, which neither me or a diagnostic friend can seem to figure out how to fix with the registered version of VCDS

Car: 2000 (X) golf V6 4motion

The story so far:
Had ABS and ESP lights on the dashboard with flashing exclamation mark when the electrics are turned on accompanied by three beeps. Occasionally lights would not show on start-up, but the warning lights would come on after driving for a while.

1. First scan with VCDS lite:
Address 03: ABS Brakes Labels: 1J0-907-37x-ESP-A.lbl
Part No: 1J0 907 379 AB
Component: ESP 20 CAN V005
Coding: 00214
Shop #: WSC 31414
VCID: 71E3F8893BABDD90DEB
2 Faults Found:
01279 - Longitudinal Acceleration Sensor (G251)
57-00 - Electric Circuit Failure
01044 - Control Module Incorrectly Coded
35-10 - - - Intermittent

Removed the longitudinal acceleration sensor and replaced.
No dashboard lights when electrics turned on, but would appear once the ignition was turned on. I found that driving the car for a couple of minutes then turning the ignition off and turning it on again within a couple of seconds would clear the problem and the ABS/ESP wouldn’t appear when stationary or when driving.

2. Full reg VCDS scan undertaken:
Address 03: ABS Brakes Labels: 1J0-907-37x-ESP-A.lbl
Part No: 1J0 907 379 AB
Component: ESP 20 CAN V005
Coding: 00214
Shop #: WSC 31414
VCID: 71E3F8893BABDD90DEB
1 Faults Found:
01044 - Control Module Incorrectly Coded
35-10 - - - Intermittent

Have carried out tests on the acceleration sensors and all seems to be fine with readouts falling within the parameters required for the sensors to be working correctly, so its not a case of resetting the Longitudinal sensor as has been mentioned in the following link.
http://www.ttforum.c...hp?f=2&t=153716

So at a guess, it seems to me that the ecu is failing to store settings for the sensor
Could possbile reasons for this be:
1) the Battery is low on charge/voltage?
(the car has been sat on my driveway for a couple of months and the battery has gone flat a couple of times, needing to be charged for the car to start.

2) The ABS control module needs to be recoded?
We’ve tried to dial into the correct module with VCDS but cant gain access as we don’t know/cant find the code for the module. Though after doing some research myself is the code 00214?

3) I replaced the sensor with that from an AUDI TT Quattro of the same year (same HALDEX 4wd unit)
4mo part number – 1J0 907 651 A
TT QUATTRO part number – 1J0 907 651
Ive been told by a mechanic that this is fine to replace the sensor with that from a differnet model but same ESP/4WD system, as it’s the first 9 digits what matter and the letters on the end are for updated physicality’s of a part (which rings true in this instance), though this may not be 100% correct.

4) Researching relevant threads that I could find (not many!)
Possibly linked to faulty IGNITION SWITCH
http://uk-mkivs.net/...ms/t/11662.aspx

Any help would be gladly and much appreciated. Im loathed to take it in to the main dealer as yet because my gut feeling is this could be an easy fix, and cant really afford it in terms of selling.

Thanks for reading,
J