Go Back   AudiWorld Forums > Technical Discussion > Electronics > VAG-COM Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to AudiWorld Forums!
Welcome to AudiWorld.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the AudiWorld Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2014, 12:10 PM   #1
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 286189

Default Pad Thickness Adaption - or not ...

Replaced rear pads and rotors, followed VCDS instruction religiously but nothing I do will get rid of the 'Service : Pad Thickness'

I can't clear the fault.

In the measuring blocks the thickness shows as 2mm, I've run the self test at least 5 times. The adaption is OK and takes whatever value that I give it.

The previous owner allowed the nearside rear pads to wear to metal - but oddly enough the pad thickness alarm wasn't set, it has only become set since I replaced the pads and rotors.

The EPB was open but the pistons were pretty hard to push back in.

Any ideas ??
BenKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 12:11 PM   #2
Audiworld Junior Member

PPS - its on an Audi A8 '4E' ...
Old 07-12-2014, 12:29 PM   #3
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 208615

I've seen this before, but don't recall the solution.

Might want to ask in the D3 forum as well.

2012 A8L 4.2 Oolong/Titanium. Premium, LED, Driver assist, Rear seat comfort, Dual pane, Alcantara, Panorama
jakematic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 12:47 PM   #4
Audiworld Junior Member

Just sorted it ...

For what it is worth to anyone else that looks ...

If you use group 7 for 'maintenance / repair' the system doesn't re-adjust itself even though you may have replaced half the components - I replaced the rotors, stripped the backplates and caliper carrier, repaired, repainted and re-instated.

The thickness doesn't reset however in measuring blocks unless you repeat the whole process using group 5 for 'pad change', simply open the EPB with group 5, close it again and then enter the adaptation for pad thickness, then run a test and hey presto the measuring block now shows the pad thickness from the adaptation.

And the pad thickness error is gone ....

Moral is that if you do plan to do repairs via group 7 so that you can turn everything off while you work you must follow its process to a conclusion and then follow it with a complete pad replacement process, assuming you replace the pads - but if you're in there why not replace them.
Old 07-12-2014, 12:47 PM
AudiWorld
Audi R8

Paid Advertisement