Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Secondary Air Injection and Catalyst errors

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 05:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Secondary Air Injection and Catalyst errors

I'm getting the following messages intermittently. I reset the the codes and the error comes back.
P0421 - Warm Up Catalyst; Bank 1: Efficiency Below Threshold Intermittent
P1423 - Secondary Air Injection System; Bank 1: Insufficient Flow
P1411 - Secondary Air Injection System; Bank 2: Insufficient Flow

I replaced the air pump relay incase that was the issue but the MIL light came back on after about 500 miles. I find it odd that both bank 1 and 2 have the error. Is the pump going bad?

What's the warm up catalyst error all about? Do I have a cat going bad?
Old 10-29-2009, 05:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Are you using VCDS to scan and diagnose this car? If so please post an auto scan. You can run output tests on the air pump and solenoids for example with VCDS.

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/index.php/17819/P1411/005137

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/index.php/17831/P1423/005155

If you include some vehicle details such as the auto scan and year, model, etc. someone may be able to see if there is an update related to this fault.
http://wiki.ross-tech.com/index.php/16805/P0421/001057
Old 10-29-2009, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

2000 A6 2.7T. I'm using the shareware version of VAG COM with a third party cable to read the codes. I had to got the Wiki page to decode the numbers on some of the codes.
Old 10-29-2009, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Well you are going to need to buy a Software License in order to do much more. You cannot run the basic settings, auto scan , etc...

http://www.ross-tech.com/Merchant2/m...ry_Code=VAGCOM

Since the software seems to recognize the 3rd party interface, it should be safe to purchase the license. You may want to verify communication to all the installed control modules. Possibly avoid the radio:
http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/aud...es.html#Radios
Old 10-22-2011, 06:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hi

i was wondering if you found a solution to your problem? I get the same codes from time to time. I clear them and a few weeks later they come back
Old 01-24-2012, 07:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I've got an '06 A8 with the same 'insufficient flow' issue on both banks. Here are my thoughts: Since both banks are problematic and throwing codes, either the solenoid that controls the combination valves is not working correctly or the combi valves are gummed up with carbon not allowing enough airflow, or the pump is weak. I don't think I have a leak in the piping since I can't blow through the pipe at the air pump when the car is off (i.e. valves are closed).

I am able to run the air pump using the VAG-COM and the pump whirs and sounds great...could be the pump but I'm not starting there.

My next step is to apply vacuum using a vacuum gun at the line to the solenoid that opens the valves and then try blowing in the pipe at the air pump. If it's unrestricted, I'll replace the solenoid (about $70) and see what happens. If it's restricted, I'll then pull one of the combi valves and look for gunk...if it's gunked up, I'll clean both valves as best I can and sea foam the vacuum system...if that doesn't get rid of the MIL, I'll then replace both combi valves at ~$170/ea.

If the combi valves are not gunked up and open/close with vacuum, it looks like the air pump is weak and I'll probably end up replacing that at ~$320.

If anyone has a better way of diagnosing, please, please share. I know the VAG-COM can measure airflow but I don't know how to do that nor what it should be.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Giggity101
I've got an '06 A8 with the same 'insufficient flow' issue on both banks. Here are my thoughts: Since both banks are problematic and throwing codes, either the solenoid that controls the combination valves is not working correctly or the combi valves are gummed up with carbon not allowing enough airflow, or the pump is weak. I don't think I have a leak in the piping since I can't blow through the pipe at the air pump when the car is off (i.e. valves are closed).

I am able to run the air pump using the VAG-COM and the pump whirs and sounds great...could be the pump but I'm not starting there.

My next step is to apply vacuum using a vacuum gun at the line to the solenoid that opens the valves and then try blowing in the pipe at the air pump. If it's unrestricted, I'll replace the solenoid (about $70) and see what happens. If it's restricted, I'll then pull one of the combi valves and look for gunk...if it's gunked up, I'll clean both valves as best I can and sea foam the vacuum system...if that doesn't get rid of the MIL, I'll then replace both combi valves at ~$170/ea.

If the combi valves are not gunked up and open/close with vacuum, it looks like the air pump is weak and I'll probably end up replacing that at ~$320.

If anyone has a better way of diagnosing, please, please share. I know the VAG-COM can measure airflow but I don't know how to do that nor what it should be.
Giggity - so how did your story end? I'm experiencing pretty much the same scenario. Inspection deadline is looming so I need get to troubleshooting!