Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VAG COM in Chicago?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bearthebruce
and don't forget to save an Autoscan before you make changes. When you get all your changes done, I would save another scan so that you have a record of before and after. Better safe than sorry.
Thanks - will do!
Old 08-30-2013, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by dbier
Thanks for the heads-up! How often (or how routinely) do dealers typically try to update the software? Any concerns with not having the software updated? I purchased the 4 year maintenance plan so I'll be visiting the dealer for 3+ years!!

Wondering what the dealer's reaction will be when I request they not perform any updates - will they question me and claim that making VAG Com changes endangeres the warranty?

If they do reset my VAG Com changes, do they have the technical ability to change them back? If so are they going to claim they're not allowed to?

Sorry for so many questions.
Yup ...I just had my 5K service and the 3 mods were all reset... (Fletcher Jones Audi). I took it back to the mechanic to have them re-applied.. For my next service trip , I will be informing the dealer upfront about the 3 VAG mods and have thenm re-apply after the service . I have saved the printed copy in my glovebox....
Old 08-30-2013, 01:33 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by K-man
Yup ...I just had my 5K service and the 3 mods were all reset... (Fletcher Jones Audi). I took it back to the mechanic to have them re-applied.. For my next service trip , I will be informing the dealer upfront about the 3 VAG mods and have them re-apply after the service . I have saved the printed copy in my glovebox....
Sorry to hear that - what a pain! Hopefully next time they will comply with a request not to reset the tweaked codes. I'm at nearly 10,000 miles on my Q5 so I'll be making the same request of my dealership in about 5 months. If they reset the codes I'm probably going to just buy my own VAG COM cable/reader.

At ~$100 per reset (and a drive through city traffic to get to Lee's) having my own VAG Com would likely be worth the convenience for me and probably cheaper in the long run.

By the way if I ever do get my own VAG Com you'll be welcome to use it if you're out La Grange way - my thanks for pointing me to Lee's.

Just curious, did Lee's Auto Shop charge you the same $50 the second time around (or was it $50 per mod)?
Old 09-09-2013, 09:18 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by dbier
Sorry to hear that - what a pain! Hopefully next time they will comply with a request not to reset the tweaked codes. I'm at nearly 10,000 miles on my Q5 so I'll be making the same request of my dealership in about 5 months. If they reset the codes I'm probably going to just buy my own VAG COM cable/reader.

At ~$100 per reset (and a drive through city traffic to get to Lee's) having my own VAG Com would likely be worth the convenience for me and probably cheaper in the long run.

By the way if I ever do get my own VAG Com you'll be welcome to use it if you're out La Grange way - my thanks for pointing me to Lee's.

Just curious, did Lee's Auto Shop charge you the same $50 the second time around (or was it $50 per mod)?
I got the cheaper rate for several reasons 1) 10 year client of them .They serviced my 1997 A4 till 2013. and 2) I gave them the okay to extract my Q5 Vag settings for their Ross Tech application. My guess is that they shared the settings with Ross Tech as well.