VAG-COM Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VAG-COM + RaspberryPI + Arduino + Sensors...

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 04:37 PM
MCL
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VAG-COM + RaspberryPI + Arduino + Sensors...

Hi All,

As it seems we are slowly being taken over by the micro controller movement, and the miniature embedded PC options - especially with the latest - the Raspberry Pi, I'm curious as to any systems integrators, audio/sound/video folks doing integration with the RPI to the OBD2/CAN-BUS/ECU/etc - along with appropriate additional arduino shields/cards that can have up to 100+ inputs/outpus, some analog, some digital - it would seem a straightforward thing to write a linux binary/python sketch to translate simple messages to show things such as speed, RPM, boost, pressures, temperatures, LTFTs, STFTs, etc - on a small LCD display - or even push them to the lovely display we have on our dash already...

Has anyone looked into that. I know there are several far east companies that were doing things with boost gauges and output into the console center display - which makes me wonder, if there is any documentation on how to get things to show up - could it be as easy as a simple serial protocol?

If we wanted to get wild - we could use BlueTooth and use a BT keyboard and mouse to control what we can see, or cycle through.

I for one would be happy to dedicate a good portion of time (I happen to have some extra time right now) to writing a python module for the community at large that would/could utilize the display and something like an Arduino and a RPi w/ the VAGCOM cables. With the RPi having a good video out - a small 6-7" video screen from something like the Pioneer or Kenwood Audio systems, or the RNS-E would function pretty well I believe as a graphing, feedback, control,input/output display - or alternatively - a small TFT/LCD stuffed into the glove box that can be pulled out as needed...

There are so many ideas, scope creep is certainly an issue - what does the community want?

1.) An API - as a set of libraries - closed source potentially for VAGCOM's purposes...(perhaps ala RESTFUL API) to communicate w/ the ECU via VAGCOM cable and apache server on the RPi?

2.) The same - but perhaps something like a Python API - necessarily open-source with some internals exposed to allow communications to/from?

3.) I think it would be nice to document the interface - but I think that's VAGCOMs secret sauce - Uwe, please forgive me if it is/was/will be, I don't mean to step on any toes. I would be happy to sign NDA's and develop closed-source libraries of APIs that folks can use that would not expose the secret sauce - a PM discussion to be sure...

TIA,
-Edwin
Old 02-28-2013, 02:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

THIS!

I'm not sure if anyone is doing this kind of thing for other vehicles, but the more I think about, these generation Audi's are the perfect candidate - a LOT of things are controlled by computers, and they are often owned by tinkerers. Also, because of the era of development, the protocols are probably fairly simple compared to more modern cars.

I don't have any direct experience with Arduino's or PI's. I'm good with electronics though, just never had a project exciting enough to experiment with these platforms. From what I have seen done, I imagine everything you are talking about is physically possible, it's just up to someone to connect the dots and the wires.

It would be AMAZING to have an Arduino - Audi interface.

I would be happy to provide help in my area of expertise (software interface design) if this project ever comes to fruition.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Something for inspiration:

Old 03-09-2013, 12:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

bimmer comunity has been doing ithttp://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...t=ibus+console
Old 03-25-2013, 01:39 PM
MCL
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Arduino-Jeep/Bimmer-IBUS/continuation

Hi again,

Does anyone have any idea what the comm protocols are real-time on the ODB2 interface, or CANBUS lines to allow the radio to display RDBS/radio station on the MFD, or boost/vacuum, speed/etc?? I have seen the companies shoving output from their X device into the MFD, I just want to be able to do the same, via a simple serial interface, and then start adding sensors to find data to put onto the MFD potentially...

Thanks!
/E
Old 03-26-2013, 03:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

If by MFD you mean the DIS/MMI/RNS-E that could get complicated if not impossible.
You could use the composite out on an RPI to inject a formatted signal into the MMI if it has an FBAS connector.
Pre-requisite would be TV or RVC and there are a few signal splitters on the market.

Google around for touch screen MMI and video retrofit - there are a few recent threads in the D3 forum as well.
I do know from researching Kufatec kits that retrofit of RVC requires reprogramming or replacement of the MMI controller and the addition of a module.

If you wanted to get really crazy I suppose you could use an FM broadcast of an MP3 and embed RDS into the signal.
Crude, yet effective....

As far as the OBD goes I would look at an ELM327 and start digging into the datasheets.
They are $25,eliminate a lot of the headache and have bluetooth to boot.
EDIT: And you wouldn't be reverse engineering a VCDS interface which could be of questionable legality - AND we don't want to annoy our good friends at Ross-Tech !
There are several projects on sourceforge as well.
I have a couple of these for a data logging project but haven't had time to get that off the ground.

Last edited by jakematic; 03-26-2013 at 03:39 AM.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:17 AM
MCL
Audiworld Junior Member

Default MFD defined :), more questions,

jm - I meant multi-function display - I'm not sure if that's the correct terminology - but I'm intending to refer to the LCD display in the console that is between the tach/speedo.

I know that there are some comms in between the Radio (ie. RDS/station/etc) to/from the 'MFD' b/c I see the station info/etc there, and I don't believe that the ECU is controlling the radio - but perhaps the data-path is via the ECU over the CANBUS/similar.

Also, I'll have to get out my Bentley disc, but I know certain cars have multiple busses hi/lo speed, I'm not sure if the 02 S4 does or does not, I'm curious as to where I can find the information, if you know?

I was considering the ELM327 chip, but as I understand, the STN1100? IC family is essentially an ELM327 superset of functionality, so I was leaning that way instead. I do currently have a STN1110-based bluetooth adapter for the OBD2 port, which will read CANBUS as well - open source HW/SW, so I could start there and continue work, but I thought I might want to tap the bus (or multiple busses) somewhere other than the OBD2 port on the dash so that I can still use the diag port for exactly that.

I've seen many posts www-wide about OBD2 now that it's become much more commonplace, and VAGCOM/Uwe aren't the only suppliers of interfaces (Full disclosure - I own 2 RossTech VCDS cables/VAGCOM software, and use them all the time...Thanks, Uwe! ) I don't want to replace VCDS as a diag-tool, just potentially augment the 'normal operating' subset of functionality available in the car, and use the MFD as a display for whatever, since I can't really count on a RNS/similar video option.

FWIW - The STN1110 bluetooth adapter I currently use, if anyone is interested can be found here (plans/parts/etc - or you can purchase an assembled version - or crowd fund the next version (STN1170) if you want, that has multiple speed BUS access as well. AFAIK, the STN1100 family of ICs comes in DIP/SOIC/QFN packaging - so they can get *really small*.

http://batman.homelinux.com/blog/blu...obdii-adapter/

Here's a link to a generic datasheet as well @ Sparkfun...

https://www.sparkfun.com/datasheets/...stn1110-ds.pdf

/E

Originally Posted by jakematic
If by MFD you mean the DIS/MMI/RNS-E that could get complicated if not impossible.
You could use the composite out on an RPI to inject a formatted signal into the MMI if it has an FBAS connector.
Pre-requisite would be TV or RVC and there are a few signal splitters on the market.

Google around for touch screen MMI and video retrofit - there are a few recent threads in the D3 forum as well.
I do know from researching Kufatec kits that retrofit of RVC requires reprogramming or replacement of the MMI controller and the addition of a module.

If you wanted to get really crazy I suppose you could use an FM broadcast of an MP3 and embed RDS into the signal.
Crude, yet effective....

As far as the OBD goes I would look at an ELM327 and start digging into the datasheets.
They are $25,eliminate a lot of the headache and have bluetooth to boot.
EDIT: And you wouldn't be reverse engineering a VCDS interface which could be of questionable legality - AND we don't want to annoy our good friends at Ross-Tech !
There are several projects on sourceforge as well.
I have a couple of these for a data logging project but haven't had time to get that off the ground.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by MCL
jm - I meant multi-function display - I'm not sure if that's the correct terminology - but I'm intending to refer to the LCD display in the console that is between the tach/speedo.

I know that there are some comms in between the Radio (ie. RDS/station/etc) to/from the 'MFD' b/c I see the station info/etc there, and I don't believe that the ECU is controlling the radio - but perhaps the data-path is via the ECU over the CANBUS/similar.
That is the DIS - Driver Information System.

No idea how that data travels.
I suspect either the Control Head or Central Electronics modules somehow handle the data/routing on the bus the cluster.

Originally Posted by MCL
Also, I'll have to get out my Bentley disc, but I know certain cars have multiple busses hi/lo speed, I'm not sure if the 02 S4 does or does not, I'm curious as to where I can find the information, if you know?
Probably CAN-Databus or MOST, or a combination depending on the model/year/features.
Old 12-31-2014, 12:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hello, it looks like its been quite some time since you last talked about this but I just found it and Im super interested on this.
I own an Audi fro year 97 and the only interface that can scan it is VCDS, so far only ross tech's one is compatible but to be honest with you their product are too expensive.
Any standar obd2 interface can be found for less than $50 and I rather spend the rest of the money in soething more useful.
Besides, I love the idea of hacking the car, having a tablet or some HUD permanently connected to the car's interface to display speed, rpm, temperature, performance, and any other thing I could think off like cotrolling external modules based on car's reading etc.
But so little info out there about audi's older scan system....
Cheers
Old 02-14-2015, 12:21 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default arduino mega with 3.2TFT from sparkfun in Audi A4 2003

Some more inspiration but now from an Audi owner.

Quick Reply: VAG-COM + RaspberryPI + Arduino + Sensors...