Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VAG-COM/VCDIS or Schwaben Self-Contained Diagnostic Tool

Old 07-23-2015, 11:25 AM
GZ
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VAG-COM/VCDIS or Schwaben Self-Contained Diagnostic Tool

I am in the market for a diagnostic tool for my '96 A4 that can access the extended functions... (ABS/Air Bag/Instrument Cluster/Etc.)

I have narrowed it down to two choices.

Ross-Tech VAG-COM/VCDIS or the Schwaben VAG specific scan-tool.

With VAG-COM I would have to purchase the KII interface and software license, and I would be required to procure a Windows PC/Tablet that I can then use. As far as I can tell, for use with other (newer) Audi/VW I would have to purchase different interface cables.

With the Schwaben Scan Tool, I should be able to access these systems across a wide range of VW/Audi models, and there would be no need to purchase a Tablet or PC.

Right now I am leaning toward the Schwaben (available through ECS Tuning) due to it's lesser cost and ability to be used without the added expenditure of a PC. But, I am assuming, it is less powerful device...

Is there anything I should know that could help me make a decisison?

Thank you for your time.
Old 07-23-2015, 11:27 AM
GZ
Audiworld Junior Member

007868SCH01A - VAG Professional Scan Tool - ES#2827082

Here is a link to the Schwaben tool I am considering.
Old 07-24-2015, 08:45 AM
Audiworld Premium Sponsor

You could go VCDS-Lite on a KKL wire... start out for free and then to unlock, locked functions, you spend $99 with Ross-Tech for the license. You do need to buy a KKL wire on eBay.
Old 07-24-2015, 02:10 PM
GZ
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by bearthebruce
You could go VCDS-Lite on a KKL wire... start out for free and then to unlock, locked functions, you spend $99 with Ross-Tech for the license. You do need to buy a KKL wire on eBay.
Thanks for the input. I have actually decided to buy the Schwaben Scan tool from ECS. I can't see the added expenditure for a Laptop/Tablet at this time. Perhaps later on I will invest in VCDS but the Schwaben should do what I need it to do.

Thanks again.
Old 07-29-2015, 01:06 PM
GZ
Audiworld Junior Member

The Scan tool I purchased did exactly what I needed it too. I haven't had time to delve into it's extended functionality too much (live data streaming and such) but I was able to scan and retrieve codes for my ABS and Airbag systems. Airbag system cleared right away (connected battery while I had the dash out a few years ago) And all is good. Now onto fixing the wheel speed sensor so my car can be code-free for the first time in years.
Old 01-29-2016, 02:45 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by GZ
The Scan tool I purchased did exactly what I needed it too. I haven't had time to delve into it's extended functionality too much (live data streaming and such) but I was able to scan and retrieve codes for my ABS and Airbag systems. Airbag system cleared right away (connected battery while I had the dash out a few years ago) And all is good. Now onto fixing the wheel speed sensor so my car can be code-free for the first time in years.
Hey buddy thanks for letting us all know this worked out well. I am about to pull the trigger myself and was wondering, do you still love this scan tool? I am pretty excited.
Old 06-12-2021, 01:25 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello everyone I'm new to the Audi world. I went looking for information to re set the service due message that comes up on the dash when ignition is turned on. I ended up buying the Schwaben scan tool from ECS tuning being assured it would reset the light I bit the bullet and ordered the tool. after 2 weeks of going thru the manual and trying to reset this annoying light I came to the conclusion that this tool wont do what I wanted it to do . I see the screen to reset the number to 0 but even tho it says it completed it the annoying message is still there. so the tool will be returned to ECS. Last night I found a Autel vag 505 scan tool for 100 bucks it was used once and the guy who sold it didn't know how to use it LOL his loss my gain . I tried it and in less than 3 min I was able to clear the light from the dash and set a new interval to be warned when the service is due. I find the Autel is much more user friendly and actually does what I wanted it to do . anyone looking to set service intervals without having to go to the dealer should look at one of these as they are cheaper than Schwaben and actually do what you want done very quickly . I am happy with the 100 I spent. it worked =)