Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VAG-COM vs. VAD Mobile?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 08:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VAG-COM vs. VAD Mobile?

I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on one or the other. I searched but only found one older thread. From Google searches it seems like VAG-COM is a bit faster and has larger community support (which is important to me because I haven't used either before.)

I'm a newbie Audi enthusiast and am looking for software to use with 2002 & 2005 Audi allroads. The purpose of the software for me will be for minor modifications (possibly 402, remote...) but mainly for diagnostics. I plan on keeping the '05 AR for a long time.

I have a laptop (though an Intel Mac with Windows) and a Palm Centro. I have an inverter and taking a laptop in the car is no issue for me.

What other pros/cons are there for each option? Any other feedback for a newbie starting out with this?

Thanks much.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:44 AM
Audiworld Premium Sponsor

Default Everyone should read this:

<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/other/msgs/6345830.phtml">https://forums.audiworld.com/other/msgs/6345830.phtml</a</li></ul>
Old 07-02-2008, 09:52 AM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

I think we should refrain from trolling for customers on the sponsored forums...
Old 07-02-2008, 09:56 AM

Default If you insisted on ONLY using a Palm, then you would be unable to use VAG-COM , but ...

If you want the product with the most extensive capabilities, the fastest datalogging, the most comprehensive support base, honesty in marketing and revision history, etc. then your choice should be clear. Check out some of these features:<ul><li><a href="http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/vag-functions.html">http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/vag-functions.html</a</li></ul>
Old 07-02-2008, 01:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Well, it might be clear to you, but to me...

...when I read through the list of features, I hadn't a clue what many of them are.

Maybe an analogy would explain my situation: It's like I'm asking which foreign language to learn - French or Italian? I'm a native English speaker, and speak fluent German. Looking at a features list for VAG-COM is somewhat like looking at a French dictionary and deciding if I like it or not.

I've probably read every page on your site at least once. I'm a computer geek by profession (web dev) but this is a whole different flavor of tech. I've read the FAQ on your site... any "newbie guides" that you can point me to?

My dad was a mechanic for a long time, had his own shops. So I'm not new to cars, but to the computer side of cars I am pretty much ignorant.

Thanks.
Old 07-03-2008, 05:20 AM

Default Here's some additional info that should help.

VCDS (VAG-COM Diagnostic System) is able to perform all of the diagnostic functions of the factory scan tools on your two C5's. The software itself contains extensive label files explaining the values you see (our "competition" has few if any for most vehicles that I have checked). Our software is able to perform functions far above and beyond our competition such as logging up to 12 values at a time, even across different measuring groups. In addition, our website contains EXTENSIVE troubleshooting and procedures, an area where the "competition" appears to have none.

For doing the 402 mod and programming the remotes to roll down the windows, both tools will likely work. If you plan to actually do work on your own vehicle or on other people's then I can't imagine anyone ever preferring the "competition".

Using your analogy, imagine taking an intensive course to learn fluency in a foreign language, compared to carrying around a pocket phrase book. Both may achieve the same rudimentary objectives but they really are not comparable when looking at the overall experience.
Old 07-03-2008, 07:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks much. Now it's time to go search for all the codes for the changes I want to make.