Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

which vagcom do I buy?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 08:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great investment too

I've been looking at Ebay. Ross-tech Vag Com Cables sell there used for almost full retail because the licensing is transferrable. The license travels with the cable and the software is a free download unlocked by the cable.

This is probably why they need to keep the price up, because once they sell a cable the license doesn't expire or get limited to one user. This restricts their volume unlike other software which requires each user to buy their own.

So bottom line, you have to shell out, but if you ever don't need it then you can sell it for close to the upfront cost.

My question is that I have a 2002, is the 350.00 model worth it? Or should I just pay for the cheaper cable that works with the models up to 2006 or so. AKA, I don't need CAN compatibility....but it does kind of future proof my investment...
Old 03-07-2012, 05:14 AM
Audiworld Premium Sponsor

If you only intend to use it on your 2002 Allroad (or other VW/Audi models which don't require a direct CAN connection for diagnostics) then there is no real disadvantage to getting a KII-USB instead of HEX-USB+CAN.

-Uwe-
Old 03-08-2012, 09:18 AM
Audiworld Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by sketch44
My question is that I have a 2002, is the 350.00 model worth it? Or should I just pay for the cheaper cable that works with the models up to 2006 or so. AKA, I don't need CAN compatibility....but it does kind of future proof my investment...
You are future proofed no matter. As a registered user in good standing, you can always go through our upgrade program (http://store.ross-tech.com/shop/cat/IntUp.html) and trade your old product for a different product.
Old 03-11-2012, 12:21 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Long time lurker. I appreciate everyone who has posted great information here over the years. It has really helped me.

My 2006 A6 Avant, bought new, ended its service contract some time ago. It made sense to get the ross-tech vag-com to do my own diagnostics first so I have the choice of repairing myself or taking it to shop with upfront knowledge.

Yes I paid $350 for it. It basically paid for itself the first time I changed break pads. Dealer quote: over $500 to change pads, over $800 with rotors. Rotors were fine, bought some Akebono pads, did all 4 wheels my self. Parts+vagcom+3hrs=$480.

Now the vag-com & kick-but software is mine. Do yourself a favor, skip the lattes for a few weeks and buy the ross-tech. Do a forum search and you'll see this adice time and time again.

ftex