Notices
Vehicles For Sale - Archive (NO NEW POSTS HERE) This section is sortable by model. Please include the prefix for your car's model when posting.
Mark this thread as Unsold

Audi Other FS: 2001 S8 - New York

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 11:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FS: 2001 S8 - New York

I've decided to part ways with my beloved S8, and upgrade to a truck.

Highlights:
-2001 Audi S8 Quattro
-VIN: WAUGU54DX1N013806
-approx 158K miles
-owned for 3.5 years, I am the third owner
-asking $6,000
-1 of only 418 imported to the U.S. in 2001. Of those 418, 106 had black exterior and 53 of those were black-on-black. Making mine 1 of 53 in the U.S. Probably less by now
-Brilliant Black exterior, black leather interior (w/ Alcantara trim on the doors)
-meticulously maintained/detailed including frequent clay barring, glazing and Collinite waxing
-Thorough and complex maintenance history saved in Excel spreadsheet, complete with upcoming maintenance items for attention. I will provide the buyer with both a hard-copy and electronic version of this. Details below. Service records/invoices/receipts included
-Located on Long Island, Suffolk Co.
-Premium gasoline used at all times, as recommended
-Genuine Audi regional navigation discs included.

Again, I will update this posting with more photos in the coming days...

Significant recent maintenance items include the following, in chronological order:

-Aug 2015 - Flushed and replaced front and rear differential fluid
-Jan 2015 - R&R front brake rotors and pads, with SP Performance slotted ZRC 345mm diameter T01-940;
EBC DP31327C Redstuff Ceramic Low Dust Brake Pad
-Aug 2014 – Synthetic oil change, with OEM Audi filter
-May 2014 – R&R front CV joint boots
-Jan 2014 – R&R Serpentine belt; R&R rear brake calipers (OEM 4D0615424E), pads (Hawk performance ceramic pads HB364Z.642), rotors (SP Performance slotted ZRC 280mm diameter T01-257), flushed all fluid.
-Aug 2013 - R&R both fuel pump assemblies with Audi OEM, R&R fuel filter (Purolator F53191)
-July 2013 - R&R camshaft position sensor (aka "D28") with Bosch; reset CEL light – OK
-Feb 2013 - R&R HVAC blower motor with OEM new
-Jan 2013 - Replaced all 4 tires with 245/45/18 Kumho Ecsta LX Platinum XL, installed new S-line style rotor blade 18” wheels
-Aug 2012 – Rebuilt transmission
-2008 or 2009 timing belt replaced

Thanks

For those of you unfamiliar with the D2 S8, here is a professional overview:

The 2001 S8 features a 40-valve DOHC 4.2-liter V8 tweaked and tuned to put out 360-hp. It is paired with a 5-speed Tiptronic tranmission. Quattro AWD is standard on the S8, providing expert handling.

The 2001 S8 (and its A8 cousin) were the only sedans on the U.S. market to feature aluminum body panels and frame, and the S8 features an all-aluminum suspension. The idea was to lighten the car and improve handling and maneuverability. Stronger brakes and shocks, larger sway bars, a lower ride height, and 18-inch performance tires were all in the service of making the most of the powerful engine. The quattro technology, banned on the race car circuit for its unfair advantage, ensured the S8 stayed glued to the road.

In addition to sports car fun, the 2001 S8 was also a luxury sedan. Part of what makes the S8 unique is an understated and subtle design that masks the throaty power boiling up within. You can play it conservative for your business colleagues, but throw all caution to the wind come the weekend. Its subtle looks also don't catch as much attention from potential thieves. It came with all the Audi bells and whistles to keep you comfortable while you tore up the road, and added special sports seats with side bolsters.

Features that make the S8 unique:
-solar powered sunroof panel, which runs the HVAC fan while parked in sunlight (to cool the car)
-all aluminum body and frame
-Recaro designed sport seats, which completely wrap your body
-dual pane acoustic glass in all windows
-heated rear power seats, and manual rear sunshades
-solid aluminum trim accents (ie side mirrors and interior trim)

**pickup only. cash only.

Last edited by AudiTimeS8; 01-27-2016 at 11:52 AM.
Old 01-27-2016, 05:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

That's nice. Looking forward to the additional pics.
Old 01-27-2016, 05:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

What would you say it's "flaws" are?
Old 01-27-2016, 10:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Wow beautiful paint!
Good luck with the sale!
Old 01-28-2016, 05:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Additional pictures.

Here she is getting serviced at Elite Motorsports in Farmingdale. The only shop I trust with her. They're certified Audi techs that specialize in Audi, VW, Porsche, and Lambos.

Old 01-28-2016, 06:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 911 Crazy
What would you say it's "flaws" are?
No problem, glad you asked. No driven car that's 15 years old with 159K miles will be perfect, so let me highlight a few things:

INTERIOR:
-A few of the commonly touched parts (door pull handle, window switch bezels) show normal wear. No damage, but normal wear. The poor rubber coating crap that Audi used is showing its age.
-All the leather on the seats and steering wheel is in excellent condition. 9.5 out of 10 I'd say. The only area that has minimal wear is the side bolster of the driver's seat from normal entry/egress.
-NON-SMOKING CAR. NEVER smoked in. All upholstery is intact, no holes or tears.

EXTERIOR:
-Paint: the finish still has its luster, as you can see in the photos. No dents anywhere. Maybe a couple micro scratches here and there, but certainly nothing obvious.
-Front bumper paint has some rock chips from highway driving. Expected on a vehicle with this many miles.
-Rear bumper has a small horizontal crack in the center (just below the trunk).

MECHANICAL:
-In very cold weather, the PS pump tends to whine. A new PS pump is recommended.
-ABS/ESP/Brake Trifecta lights - Once in a while, I get the common "Trifecta" lights, but they go off after restarting. The entire ABS hydraulic control unit under the hood (8E0-614-111-AT) was replaced at an Audi dealership in 2011 (I have records to show). I've done some research here on the forums, and found that the common culprit is a dirty ABS sensor at one of the wheels, or a loose connection of the ABS computer under the dash. I simply haven't had time to do it, especially in the cold weather. I can say though, that the system still works as it should - ABS works perfectly, as does the traction control system. I just tested this out in the recent snow - trust me, it works!

This is full disclosure of the few known "flaws" of my S8. Despite all this, all other systems and features work perfectly as designed:
-The Audi navigation works, albeit it's an old system
-The rear sunshades still work, not torn, still retract
-All 8 (4 front 4 rear) PDC sensors and system works perfectly
-The BOSE sound system still kicks nicely
-The heated seats all works, and cook your *** on level 6
-The self-leveling Xenon headlights still work
-All 4 auto-up and down windows work
-The solar sunroof/HVAC system still works
-Still have all the original literature/books the car came with

Feel free to ask me any questions.
Old 01-28-2016, 07:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks for your pics and updates. Not familiar with the navigation system from the D2's. Can you give a brief synopsis? Plus a few interior pics of the seats, dash etc. would be great. Thanks!
Old 01-28-2016, 07:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for your pics and updates. Not familiar with the navigation system from the D2's. Can you give a brief synopsis? Plus a few interior pics of the seats, dash etc. would be great. Thanks!
Sure, the navigation system in this car is pretty basic compared to today's. It's not map-based, rather it is voice-instructed with text/graphic instructions displayed in the cluster LCD screen located between the tach and speedometer. Destinations are input via a dedicated Nav control located in the center console, by the cupholder, between the seats.

Interior pics will take me a few days. Dash pic has been posted previously.

Here's a google image of the GPS system (not my actual car, but same idea).

Last edited by AudiTimeS8; 01-28-2016 at 07:36 AM.
Old 01-28-2016, 07:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks for the explanation but I don't see the dash pic. Where is it?
Old 01-28-2016, 07:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the explanation but I don't see the dash pic. Where is it?
In post #5.

Quick Reply: Audi Other FS: 2001 S8 - New York